Most dropped courses at ISU this semester

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I had to take a 5 credit Stat class now they split it into two classes. That one took most of my time right there.

Reactions: cyputz

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I'm not sure I would have passed math 165 if I hadn't already taken calculus in high school. At that time (don't know now), it was often taught by TA's that may know math but they didn't know how to teach. Add in that it was the first semester for most of us and it was the first time that we had to experience someone with English as a second language. Just a combination of things that add up to the class really being harder than the subject matter should have it be
I stupidly took Honors 165 because I qualified for it. Actually had a professor, not a TA, but definitely not a native English speaker. Plus it was at 8 AM, so my first ever class at ISU was this. And to top it off, he used a different text book from all of the other sections. Fun times. I managed to survive my 4 semesters of calculus, but that was a rough first step.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
I dropped Math 150 the first time around and then learned how easy it was to cheat in that class. Mathway.com got me an easy A! Also it makes me feel really good about myself seeing Stat 226 on there knowing I got a B+ in it.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I'm surprised Physics 221 isn't on there. That seemed to be the main engineering weed out course 10 years ago.
I remember that old lecture hall in Physics Hall with all the old wooden desks. I never took 221, but all the graffiti carved into those desks was about how terrible 221 and 222 was. Lol!

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
Who the hell drops library??!
Isn't library one of the most failed courses? Because if you miss one or something it's a fail. I remember something like that from when I was in school

Yes, Lib 160 is the most failed course on campus, because, as stated, miss the first class auto fail. Many students forget about the class if they enroll in a second-half term section.

Reactions: CloniesForLife

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I remember that old lecture hall in Physics Hall with all the old wooden desks. I never took 221, but all the graffiti carved into those desks was about how terrible 221 and 222 was. Lol!
Worst ones were Lebaron and food science. Small seats, no air and lap boards.

Had geography 101 in FS. Took attendance, signed in on a piece of paper, each row got one. He changed it up after some rows of frat guys showed 30 people in a row that held like 18.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Got 5 of those courses on my transcript. Surprised that Physics 221/222 doesn't make an appearance. That was always a big engineering weed out for those who hadn't been picked off with one of the Calc courses.

That course was a *****. It was the only course I tried doing extra work, such as going to study groups led by the TA. Nice guy, but I just couldn’t understand him. English was not his first language. I got to the last day before I could drop, did the math and new it was going to crush my GPA, so drop I did.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
My only grade worse than a C+ was a D my first go at 221 my freshman year. That kicked me in the a**, turned it around into an A- the second go and that was with an insane curve. I want to say my average was like 81%.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Econ 101 has changed since we were there. I’m our time it was the general class. Today it’s what 104 was and 105 is now 102. Think when Econ Bob died they did away with 101.

So they don't teach basic micro and macro theory?

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Did anyone else have Stephen Harper for Math 165? He was the best prof I ever had at ISU but a real piece of work, in mostly a good way.

He thought it was BS to start class before Labor Day, so we just kinda wasted the first week of class. And then he had a heart attack over Labor Day Weekend. So we got a new TA every week until Mid-Late October when he came back. At which point he said those guys were all stupid and basically jammed all of Math 165 into a month of lectures. I did okay in it, but I learned so much that Matt 166 was a breeze. Showed up for tests and that was it!

Ended up having him for Math 267 (Diff EQ) and was really psyched. And did well and learned a lot. Which I’ve all forgotten in the last 15+ years.

Last I knew he was flipping houses in Texas. Which if you knew him, isn’t all that surprising.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I took Meteorology during one of the first years that the internet was a thing. One of our assignments consisted of looking at radar in a few locations and predicting the weather a couple days out.

....****, I think I just aged 10 years typing that.

One of the assignments? I remember that being damn near the entire grade! I believe the assignment was titled "Reading/copying weather forecasts".

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I got a D in math 150 as a freshman. Retook it my Sr year on got a A.

The difference was a professor who could pronounce words correctly. Freshman year professor one day kept talking about something called a "resprobal". No one in class had a clue what he was talking about, turns out he was talking about a reciprocal. He thought we were all dumb for not knowing what he meant.

Sr year professor just called me out in class all the time and made fun of me as the "Sr FB player taking math 150" - jackass