Favorite Bar in Ames

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
Chasers and Welch Ave Station.

I was at Chasers every Thursday for their any coin any drink deal. Good times.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
Holy resurrected thread, Batman!
Was looking for the nane of the cheap bar in downtown Ames that used to have quarter or dollar pitcher night for a comment on another thread. Google search brought up this thread.

Thought post I quoted may have known my old man.

ISUcyclones11

Dec 11, 2014
Ankeny, IA
Welch area bars: Sips/Paddy's in the winter and Cy's in the summer.

Main: London Underground

also honorable mention to Tip Top on gamedays. That chili hits different at 9am in November

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
In college, Paddy’s, Cy’s, Mickey’s and Es Tas were my usual spots.

Came back to Ames a few years after college, new spots were Welch Ave, Cafe B, Whiskey River and London Underground.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Age significance:
Started at liking That Place, Thumbs, Dugans, That Place, Cafe B Whiskey, Tradewinds and finally London (continues to be an awesome place)

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
Younger years at ISU Grand Daddy's and Cave Inn (Drinking age was 19). Later on it was Welch Avenue Station (had a roommate that worked there) and That Place on Main Street. Once I got out of ISU and started working it was Sportsman Lounge, Corner Pocket, Whiskey River all on Main Street and Barnaby's if they had free taco night. I still have several of the mugs/pitchers from some of these places including The Mississippi Queen.

Reactions: NWICY

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
Was looking for the nane of the cheap bar in downtown Ames that used to have quarter or dollar pitcher night for a comment on another thread. Google search brought up this thread.

Thought post I quoted may have known my old man.

May have been The Sliver Dollar.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
College was always chasers for cheap drinks to start then it was probably cys most often then Mickeys after that. Would always do Welch ave station on away game days for football and basketball. Still love it today. Main street has to be London for sure.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
We should make this a thread of just the current and former Welch Ave lineup.

When I graduated in '01 Paddy's/Sips was new and kind of shocked they are still there.

People's and Dean's List had just closed. People's was one of the coolest bars I've hung out at even counting all the Chicago bars after college, really weird how it closed. There was one in a basement...Underwhere?

Cy's Roost, Welch Ave Station and Pizza Pit were there but they had been around long before my 4 years too.

CYTUTT

Nov 25, 2012
The best was Thmbs Up in Campus town. 25 cent G&Ts on Thursday. A lot of debauchery. McGees had a great bar, but I know it was a long time ago.

Reactions: Kinch

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Es Stas on Wednesday's for $5 burger baskets and Paddy's any night (knew the manager so cheap drinks) were my locks. But we'd hit 3 or 4 bars a night. Cafe B for long islands after finals.

Man

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron