Favorite Bar in Ames

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
My fave was Lost and Found. Took many dates there.
Also loved Cy's Roost, Welch Ave and Dugans.
Downtown I liked That Place and Top of the town.
Didn't there used to be a topless joint in downtown Ames back in the 80s?

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
We should make this a thread of just the current and former Welch Ave lineup.

When I graduated in '01 Paddy's/Sips was new and kind of shocked they are still there.

People's and Dean's List had just closed. People's was one of the coolest bars I've hung out at even counting all the Chicago bars after college, really weird how it closed. There was one in a basement...Underwhere?

Cy's Roost, Welch Ave Station and Pizza Pit were there but they had been around long before my 4 years too.

People's didn't close until 2007. Underneath it was Lumpys, the diviest of all dive bars. We did the whole start out at Lumpys for some cheap cheap beer (make a pyramid, piss in the dark corner), then go up and into People's a lot of time skipping the line and cover.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
There was two at one point plus one out on Duff. Can't remember the name of any of them.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
While in school: outlaws and paddys. Would start at es tas for FAC. Got booted from Cy’s.

after: Welch Ave Station and recently Fieldhouse

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I really feel for those who never got to experience Lumpy's. It was like a rite of passage.

People's, Welch Ave, and Thumbs were there go-to back in the early 2000's. Thursday night double G&T's were money.

Reactions: CyCrazy

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
People's didn't close until 2007. Underneath it was Lumpys, the diviest of all dive bars. We did the whole start out at Lumpys for some cheap cheap beer (make a pyramid, piss in the dark corner), then go up and into People's a lot of time skipping the line and cover.

I feel like you and I may have hung out before.

• Friendly
Reactions: Farnsworth

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
Mine = Welch then and Welch now. Agree totally on nice place to chill and order Pizza Pit.

My wife's = Beamers then and Welch now. Probably because Beamers was the meat market and she got free drinks.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
There was two at one point plus one out on Duff. Can't remember the name of any of them.
The funniest thing I saw driving on Duff one Friday night, was when there was a firemen and EMT training held somewhere in Ames. Driving past the topless joint, there must have been 20 or 30 ambulances and a dozen fire trucks parked there. No emergency. My roommate deadpanned he guessed the training was popular.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

The Dallas Club. According to google it is in the same location but known as Dangerous Curves.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Although not my favorite bar, Mickeys was our go to. People around 2005-2008 era know Jackie as well, and we had a very love hate relationship with her.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Granddaddy’s, the Fox, the Library, Lost and Found, Cy’s Roost, the Cave Inn, Barnabees, Tip Top, Whiskey River, Tradewinds, Destination, Top o’ Town, That Place.

When you take an 9 month internship in Ames and go to ISU you go to a lot of different. There were a couple strip joints on main. New York West was one of them. Whiskey River had the best nachos back then!

Reactions: Cloneon

isucally

Mar 21, 2006
Omaha, NE
I didn't go through the entire thread but one I haven't seen mentioned was Hunky Dory's! Anybody remember that place? Good times!!

Help Support Us

Become a patron