Favorite Bar in Ames

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
The Fox was a really good bar to take a date after a movie or dinner.

Anyone know what Beamers was called before it was Beamers? Was it State Fieldhouse?

When did Davinci's get razed?

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
I still have my FAC mug from People's.

Also, the elevator rides to Legends were adventures in themselves. That thing should have crashed on us many many times, but it managed to push though every time.

Reactions: SolarGarlic

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Mine = Welch then and Welch now. Agree totally on nice place to chill and order Pizza Pit.

My wife's = Beamers then and Welch now. Probably because Beamers was the meat market and she got free drinks.
Bill Cosby liked to hang out there. No pun intended.

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020
I’d sometimes end up in Mickey’s basement… when I wanted to get weird.

Peoples on Thursday Night, Cy’s for FAC, Patty’s/Sips on Saturday, Es Tas All day on Sundays/Any Cubs day Baseball Games (Welch location was the best for day drinks).

Reactions: State2015

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
I’d sometimes end up in Mickey’s basement… when I wanted to get weird.

Peoples on Thursday Night, Cy’s for FAC, Patty’s/Sips on Saturday, Es Tas All day on Sundays/Any Cubs day Baseball Games (Welch location was the best for day drinks).
Welch Es Tas > new Es Tas

Reactions: I@ST1

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Little throw back to the Ames Daily write up about Peoples final goodbye. I didn't get to experience this institution since my first year was fall of 07'.

CyGrad04

Sep 16, 2011
Mickey's is an easy favorite for me. I worked there 2001-4, and had some of my best memories from college there. I was a door guy, and we could drink at 10 which made it interesting. Never eat the hot dogs.

Peoples for FAC was great. Still have my Peoples Mug. Head downstairs to Lumpy's afterwards where you could pee in a corner and nobody really cared.

Patty's is up there too. As I got older I went to Welch Ave more often/day drinks.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
What about the WORST bars in Ames.

What is yours, and why is it Outlaws?

Never went to Outlaws it was something else when I was there, can't remember the name it used to be 2 seperate bars and maybe it still is. The worst bar was the bikini bar on Welch, it was just sad

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I have a friend in Venezuela who is asking me about the dating scene in America. I told him I was at a bar so I took a picture so he could see. It was a pretty mixed crowd but I suppose more guys than girls. He was like where all the women? Where do you guys go to congregate as families and meet everybody? I just laughed and said bars are for getting drunk in America buddy.

State2015

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 26, 2016
Oh. So did i. Under the pool table too.

Is the peeing at Lumpys thing a joke since the place just smelled like piss and turned into an urban legend? Or did guys actually just pee out in the middle of the bar? So many references about Lumpys and pee

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Is the peeing at Lumpys thing a joke since the place just smelled like piss and turned into an urban legend? Or did guys actually just pee out in the middle of the bar? So many references about Lumpys and pee

It was just a **** hole. So ******, a person had to be highly inebriated to spend a lot of time there. With that level of inebriation, inhibitions decrease to the point of nothingness. As a result, pissing wherever just happens.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron