Favorite Bar in Ames

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Is the peeing at Lumpys thing a joke since the place just smelled like piss and turned into an urban legend? Or did guys actually just pee out in the middle of the bar? So many references about Lumpys and pee

I'd like to say it's urban legendish joke, but sadly it's not. They had that room (I think some called it a lounge) off to the side that was ultra dark, I think it had terrible couches, and I pee'd myself there many of times, not even knowing it was a "thing". Maybe the bathroom situation sucked there.

Lumpys was just a different experience all around.

Reactions: State2015

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Younger years at ISU Grand Daddy's and Cave Inn (Drinking age was 19). Later on it was Welch Avenue Station (had a roommate that worked there) and That Place on Main Street. Once I got out of ISU and started working it was Sportsman Lounge, Corner Pocket, Whiskey River all on Main Street and Barnaby's if they had free taco night. I still have several of the mugs/pitchers from some of these places including The Mississippi Queen.
Sounds like my era. Great thing about that era for me were the state's drinking ages. Between IL, WI, and IA I managed to always stay JUST barely legal as each state raised their drinking ages. I was able to finagle the three states to always find a legal place to drink. Incredibly lucky for me.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
What were some of the short-lived bars from your era? I remember Sgt Peppers and Capones - they were both pretty dead the few times I went to them.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
What were some of the short-lived bars from your era? I remember Sgt Peppers and Capones - they were both pretty dead the few times I went to them.

We must have been in school at the same time. One of the first nights I was old enough of going out, I remember Capone being pretty packed. I forgot the couple of places that filled the spot after Capones.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
We must have been in school at the same time. One of the first nights I was old enough of going out, I remember Capone being pretty packed. I forgot the couple of places that filled the spot after Capones.

I believe Mo’ Jazz preceded Capones. That location was a revolving door of rapidly failing bars. Is it still just a vacant lot? Because that’s a perfect metaphor.

I feel like the same ownership was involved in several, if not all of the ventures. It wouldn’t take a lot to convince me that it was all a money laundering scheme, but more likely just a revolving door of not-quite-Welch bars.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I believe Mo’ Jazz preceded Capones. That location was a revolving door of rapidly failing bars. Is it still just a vacant lot? Because that’s a perfect metaphor.

I feel like the same ownership was involved in several, if not all of the ventures. It wouldn’t take a lot to convince me that it was all a money laundering scheme, but more likely just a revolving door of not-quite-Welch bars.
I thought AJs market did something with it between 2010-2014.

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
I pretty much lived at Welch Ave from 2000-2005. Left Ames and didn’t go back until 2011. Welch Ave in 2011 was just as I left it. Unfortunately I haven’t been back to Ames since. Please tell me Welch Ave is still the same place it was in 2000

Reactions: CYdTracked

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I remember Capone’s being packed and actually a lot of fun. Usually had live music. Having been there for the last year of People’s, it felt like a poor man’s version.

I kinda liked Sgt Pepper’s too. I’m a big classic rock fan though.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
I pretty much lived at Welch Ave from 2000-2005. Left Ames and didn’t go back until 2011. Welch Ave in 2011 was just as I left it. Unfortunately I haven’t been back to Ames since. Please tell me Welch Ave is still the same place it was in 2000
Oh it is...it still feels like home after 10+ years being out of school

Reactions: CYdTracked

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
Oh it is...it still feels like home after 10+ years being out of school
Nice! I really want to make it back next fall for a game. Hope I can make that happen. If I do, my first stop is Welch Ave. took my wife to Ames for new years eve 2011. The year we played Rutgers in that horrible Yankee stadium bowl game. Watched the game at Welch Ave and when I walked in I was transported back to college. I think they even had the same posters on the wall next to the restrooms. It was awesome.

Reactions: NWICY

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I feel like Capone's had one good run during one winter, maybe 2009? It was always packed and pretty fun without feeling suffocating like it did at Paddy's or a couple other popular pubs.

And then it just disappeared. College bars are weird in that way. If a few groups find their spot, they can blow up by word of mouth. But they can just as quickly fall in popularity.

• Agree
Reactions: SCNCY

cal-cyclone

Dec 8, 2022
Underwhere?

But that place has been gone for ages.
haha, I can't believe anyone here even remembers Underwhere? I played in a band for many years, and our first show at a bar was at Underwhere...So I have fond memories of that place. The guy Tom who owned People's, I believe he owned Underwhere? first...so we went from playing at Underwhere to playing above grade at People's eventually. I loved Dugan's as well, as my gf at the time worked there, and anytime our band played at Dugan's they gave us lots of free beer. I liked Thumb's up and the Mshop as well...

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
haha, I can't believe anyone here even remembers Underwhere? I played in a band for many years, and our first show at a bar was at Underwhere...So I have fond memories of that place. The guy Tom who owned People's, I believe he owned Underwhere? first...so we went from playing at Underwhere to playing above grade at People's eventually. I loved Dugan's as well, as my gf at the time worked there, and anytime our band played at Dugan's they gave us lots of free beer. I liked Thumb's up and the Mshop as well...
Tom Zmolek. He's still around the Des Moines area.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron