The “We Will” Collective

Status
Not open for further replies.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Can’t really imagine donating to this, but thank you to those who do. Might make 12 of my Saturdays per year for 3 hours marginally more entertaining.

Reactions: Tailg8er

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Nobody should be shamed into donating and nobody should be on some moral high ground because people do donate to this. People spend money on tons more stupid **** than this.

The fact that we have to do this sucks but I'm still going to chip in a little each month because I want us to remain relevant.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I wish the university would do like an “all-invlusive package at like 10k a year for a family with a $2500 joining fee or something for everything; parking for everything, food and drink covered at every event you attend, special apparel, special access, make it like a Country Club.

Where would this country club be for $2500? Boone?

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I’m far away as well, been signed up for the collective since it came out as I want Iowa State to remain as competitive as possible. Spare me the morality lectures, there’s always something more human people could and do spend money on.

Unless you’re going to let me audit your books, you can shove it.

Won't a form 990 be available on the IRS website once We Will files their taxes? Should give you a good peak into the org

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
I understand that there is checks and balances, but it's naïve to think that these universities will be swimming in cash and kids wont get something from it. There is always a loophole or a way to cheat.
How much more can they give the athletes: all books, tuition, all meals, spending money, etc.

I really don't think the schools are giving them cash.

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
I have not given to the Collective yet but will now that there is some great leadership. Congrats to Brent!
Yes - congrats for sure. Though anytime Brent starts reminiscing about football on the hills, I go there too and black out to whatever else was being talked about. Man I miss those days…

• Friendly
Reactions: brentblum

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
How much more can they give the athletes: all books, tuition, all meals, spending money, etc.

I really don't think the schools are giving them cash.
I think it’s naive to assume that coaching salaries don’t, um, trickle down. It has certainly been alleged here that former MBB coaches may or may not have helped players with expenses.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
You can listen to Gunnerclone or the actual FB and BB coaches who have their own thoughts, who may in fact be using the direction and potential of We Will in their recruiting discussions! I think people can make their own decisions.

Quite a few I know already have. And with the price of everything going through the roof............regardless of how much they enjoy watching ISU excell on the court and in the field it's just not a priority.

Hard to rationalize these days why some kid right out of high school........with no experience in anything should be "given" more money than many who show up in the stands to cheer "earn" just because he run's a 4.3.

And if that means ISU loses...........well I guess ISU loses. Been there done that. I don't think it will, but there it is.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Hard to rationalize these days why some kid right out of high school........with no experience in anything should be "given" more money than many who show up in the stands to cheer "earn" just because he run's a 4.3.

You're free to think as you will. But that isn't how ISU's collective is going to work based on everything they've told us, and trust me if you're putting in the pads for ISU and running out on the field you've earned it.

I've said this before I'm pretty good friends with a former ISU player who played a lot of snaps for us. He has a great life so I'm taking nothing away from him. But he started developing arthritis when he was 30. Those guys who put on the pads have more talent, drive, and courage than I ever will and quite frankly I think your being incredibly myopic about this whole thing.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Hate to bring them up but did anyone see that the hawkeyes have established the 'Swarm' Collective? Which coincidentally is the name of a sex worker advocacy group?
I guess they didn't bother googling the term before hand...

The We Will Collective simply must do better advocating for sex workers, Iowa has the jump on us in this department.
Probably will have another one called "The Wave" before long....

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Indeed. I live too far away to attend any home games besides maybe a single every year. I will kick into the collective the same way I kick into the CRTC. I know the money is going to the athletes and it will help us stay competitive. Donating to the NIL fund seems like a better way to ensure we get the athletes we want than a Ad donation to get a Skywalk across University Ave.
True. We have a choice on donation avenues so that you can direct the money to your liking. Some people won't be comfortable "paying" players even though it's not going away. They can still contribute to the program in the way that they choose.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Don't know why people have to be so shittey about this on both sides. Let people do what they want. If people want to donate to the collective great. If not great. No one should tell anybody else how they should spend their money.
Hookers and blow for me. Too set in my ways to change now.

Reactions: mitchforcy

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
I think it’s naive to assume that coaching salaries don’t, um, trickle down. It has certainly been alleged here that former MBB coaches may or may not have helped players with expenses.
The coaches salaries absolutely will continue to grow. After all, athletic departments are a part of a nonprofit university. They generally have to break even every year otherwise they lose their nonprofit status. After you have new facilities everywhere and have paid for student athletes life, salaries are generally your next plug item to make sure that you don't make a lot of money. You increase them .

Paying student athletes has been around forever. Yes it happened at Iowa State. What I am saying is, the payments that were made in the past are now going to be public and it is a more level playing field than it was for 100 years .

The reality is, we have to play in the NIL game to maintain a level playing field now. In the past we had no way of even been attempting to be in a level playing field because of non-revenue sharing policies of the big eight and Big 12.

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
Our recruiting has been better than ever in both FB and BB.
Just to clarify, NIL has been around about a year and since our football and basketball recruiting has been good the past 12 months, you are insinuating that it will not impact future recruiting if we fall behind in the NIL arena? With all due respect, I think this is a reach.

Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
People worry too much about what other people do or don't do in their lives. While the concept of NIL sucks for fans, it is now a reality, like it or not. What one person may or may not contribute shouldn't matter to others.

Personally, it's frustrating to think that we are asked to give money to kids that already have it better off (from an education and short-term living environment) than millions of homeless and hungry kids and families, regardless of their family or financial situation. BUT, that doesn't mean I criticize those that decide to put their money towards it. Fully the opposite. If you are a fan and want to be competitive, I fully understand and support those that are putting forth that funding.

I'm still on the fence with my personal decision. I've given a ton of money and time for ISU athletics and am proud of that. But whatever I decide with regards to NIL will not change my other financial priorities (family, charity, entertainment, technology, etc), and that becomes a part of the equation.

Give if you can and want. Don't if you have other priorities.

Status
Not open for further replies.