The “We Will” Collective

Status
Not open for further replies.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Why does every one of these threads turn into a pissing match?

If you don’t want to donate then don’t, but no one cares how much better you are for not donating

It all starts when certain people try to guilt the non-donors into donating. Sorry but these kids get everything taken care of already, if they want to actually use their NIL to go be in a commercial for a business or make money off their youtube channel, etc. (you know they entire premise of NIL) then I'm all for that. But fans giving money to a "Collective" that passes out money is not NIL.

If you want to give your money to the "Collective" go ahead, but don't guilt trip me because I think the entire premise is off of what NIL was meant to be and thus not going to support it.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
I am fascinated by the way people come on here to justify why they are not giving. You have every right to not give and state your reasoning, but nobody really cares.

In the end, people want to be around problem solvers, non-complainers, and winners.

The facts are simple: historically, we have the worst percentages of non-givers in the big 12; we now have a public way and opportunity to play ball at the highest level; if you give it will help us reach out potential; if you don't give the chances of keeping our coaches and reaching out potential goes down; strong athletic programs could drive/maintain enrollment and help university Brands.

Even though I don't like it, l will participate to help us reach out potential.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I am fascinated by the way people come on here to justify why they are not giving. You have every right to not give and state your reasoning, but nobody really cares.

In the end, people want to be around problem solvers, non-complainers, and winners.

The facts are simple: historically, we have the worst percentages of non-givers in the big 12; we now have a public way and opportunity to play ball at the highest level; if you give it will help us reach out potential; if you don't give the chances of keeping our coaches and reaching out potential goes down; strong athletic programs could drive/maintain enrollment and help university Brands.

Be sure to post the receipts.

Reactions: isufbcurt

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
It all starts when certain people try to guilt the non-donors into donating. Sorry but these kids get everything taken care of already, if they want to actually use their NIL to go be in a commercial for a business or make money off their youtube channel, etc. (you know they entire premise of NIL) then I'm all for that. But fans giving money to a "Collective" that passes out money is not NIL.

If you want to give your money to the "Collective" go ahead, but don't guilt trip me because I think the entire premise is off of what NIL was meant to be and thus not going to support it.

Agree.

Clearly college athletics is ever evolving and changing.

The whole "your fandom is based on giving" is also such a tired and unfair take.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Unfortunately this won't really solve the problems and ISU will still be behind schools that were already ahead of them.

When the has been alumni/schools are able to up their game even more to stay ahead, I can actually see lots of complaining from those that donated as if a few more was going to make much difference.

Reactions: isufbcurt

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Quite a few I know already have. And with the price of everything going through the roof............regardless of how much they enjoy watching ISU excell on the court and in the field it's just not a priority.

Hard to rationalize these days why some kid right out of high school........with no experience in anything should be "given" more money than many who show up in the stands to cheer "earn" just because he run's a 4.3.

And if that means ISU loses...........well I guess ISU loses. Been there done that. I don't think it will, but there it is.

Comparing myself or any of us (who are not athletes) to entertainers or athletes is crazy... The schools + the athletes offer a marketable opportunity far beyond what most of us can offer. There is a reason Caleb Williams will be paid what he is getting at USC... and I get paid what I do (a lot less). Last I checked the media rights for watching me manipulate spreadsheets and crank out power points and emails is 0. If I am lucky, I can keep a few executives awake long enough to get my project funded or my plans approved...

There are millions of people that want to watch these guys for a very short period of time. huge earning potential now, window will close quickly. I will throw out a couple names - tim tebow, tommie frazier. Those two guys had huge value at the college level, but very limited in terms of pro potential, pro talent.

To say they are worth a scholarship only (same as every other college athlete) at the NCAA level is insane. NIL is exposing the value that has always been there.

Do I like how NIL has been rolled out or how the NCAA / college conferences are handling this? No. But it's here to stay... we are not putting Pandora back in the box.

I think that there is a very passionate ISU fan base underestimated by the national media. If we all band together we can build something special in Ames.. not something supported by a few donors (we don't have oil tycoons or a nike behind us), but put 10k or 100k of us together we can make a difference. ISU is different, it will take a different path. But, I think there are enough of us that want it to make it happen.

last note, no one should feel like you "must give" ... this is entertainment. If you enjoy the show, pay what you think is fair. If not, don't. It's not an obligation it's a choice. All of us have different amounts of disposable income, different things we are passionate about. If it's not ISU athletics for you, that is fine. I love it and enjoy it and it's worth it to me to throw in a few bucks... if there 99,999 more fans like me with just a little bit of extra money (not a lot) that want to give to ISU, we will be fine.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
Absolutely understand this is a personal decision when it comes to people’s interests and giving. My goal is simply to explain how this indeed can make an impact on Iowa State. Appreciate the conversation and don’t hesitate to PM me if I can answer any questions or share information.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
The way NIL is being manipulated by many schools is gross. In my opinion, the "We Will" collective is at least trying to do it the right way. It helps connect players with non profits and pays the players for their time. If you block out all the noise happening at other schools, at the core "We Will" seems like a good cause. I just made a donation. I will likely make more.

It doesn't seem to me that the collective is trying to be Miami, Texas, or Texas Tech.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

The vast majority of people who have spoken out about not giving are responding to people who in a nutshell are saying "If you don't give to the collective you aren't a fan." The people who take that attitude are just as tiresome as those who are on a soapbox about not giving.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Im still trying figure out wtf “swarm” has to do with Hawkeyes, Iowa, or Iowa City, or just whatever.
I think smarm is the more appropriate term

adjective. If you describe someone as smarmy, you dislike them because they are unpleasantly polite and flattering, usually because they want you to like them or to do something for them. [British, informal, disapproval]

Pat

Oct 20, 2011

I’m fairness, it is equally ridiculous, if not moreso, for the Athletic Department to ask for donations. The whole thing is broken, and NIL is either a step towards fixing it or, along with consolidation/realignment, a step towards blowing the whole thing up.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I think smarm is the more appropriate term

adjective. If you describe someone as smarmy, you dislike them because they are unpleasantly polite and flattering, usually because they want you to like them or to do something for them. [British, informal, disapproval]
I'm fascinated and confused as why we would GAF what Iowa's collective has been named.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
People with money for everything must not have many kids. At the rate my sons are not giving me any grandchildren, maybe they can Cyclone Club, We Will, afford stadium suites, sponsor NIL, and donate to the AD. We all do the best we can with what we have. I kind of hope they remember the university in general as well.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Seems like he was properly fed, clothed, and housed while he was here.
People need to seriously decide and understand what true NEEDS are. And the things you listed are those items. What a player or person thinks they “need” 99% is not what they actually need to survive. Huge difference and this bigger and better lifestyle we promote in this country warps the hell out of what a true need is.

Reactions: CyNews
Status
Not open for further replies.