Iowa/Swarm Split?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
It’s because he knows the donor base. If you have this Collective out there bashing people over the head with “this will get the football team to 10 wins every year!” then hok fan will just throw all of their money away to that end and the actual AD will crumble. Money isn’t infinite.

Yep I 100% agree. It's a combo of protecting what is already Iowa's and it's also a CYA from a legal standpoint.

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
Brad Heinrichs was a four-year letterwinner on the University of Iowa golf team and graduated with degrees in Actuarial Science and Economics in 1997. In addition to being the CEO of SWARM, Brad has served as the President/CEO of Foster & Foster Consulting Actuaries, Inc. since 2005. Foster & Foster is a national actuarial consulting firm which provides employee benefits consulting services to entities who serve the greater good, such as teachers, police officers, firefighters, etc. Brad enjoys the challenge of building a successful business, as indicated by his success in increasing revenues at F&F by over twentyfold during his time as CEO. In 2018, Brad independently rescued and revitalized Rem-Tronics, a struggling aerospace manufacturing firm in NY and ultimately sold to a private equity firm after the company had stabilized and become profitable. Brad has also served on the Financial Allocations team for the local United Way in Lee County, Florida, and has a keen eye for charities who run their operations the right way. Brad currently resides in Fort Myers, Florida, and is a member of the Paradise Iowa Club.
Yep, definitely a HOK! LOL ;)

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
So call me crazy but I actually kind of agree with Barta on this one. Why would it be in Iowa's best interest to share season ticket holder and donor information with the Swarm? That would seem very counter productive for the Iowa athletic department. IMO Brad is some what creating a faux scenario in regards to Iowa and the collectives. It's not that they don't what the collectives involved, they just aren't going to provide them with contact info and that's honestly fine. In aa nut shell he Barta wants separation between the university and the collectives which isn't a bad thing. Just my two cents but Brad came across as kind of whiney.
I think the NIL needs the athletic department support to fully reach its full potential as other universities are doing. I also think that Brad needs to take a breath sometimes. He is a fast paced guy and kind of lets his emotions control him and he needs to take a step back and reanalyze everything before blasting anyone. I appreciate Brad's insider info on the HR pay forum though.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
I wonder when Iowa will drop this pretentious “right way” mantra. Saying it doesn’t mean you’re actually right. I don’t know that they even know what the right way looks like.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I think the NIL needs the athletic department support to fully reach its full potential as other universities are doing. I also think that Brad needs to take a breath sometimes. He is a fast paced guy and kind of lets his emotions control him and he needs to take a step back and reanalyze everything before blasting anyone. I appreciate Brad's insider info on the HR pay forum though.

I think the idea that Barta isn't "cooperating" is being overplayed. I do think it's probably within most universities best interest to maintain some separation between the athletic departments and the collectives. I feel like Brad painted a picture that isn't very accurate and leave it to Iowa fans to bring out the pitchforks an torches.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I think the idea that Barta isn't "cooperating" is being overplayed. I do think it's probably within most universities best interest to maintain some separation between the athletic departments and the collectives. I feel like Brad painted a picture that isn't very accurate and leave it to Iowa fans to bring out the pitchforks an torches.
I think Brad is frustrated in that he had an agreement to make some promotional SWARM videos with the Iowa coaches, but he got the rug pulled out from under him at the last minute. He had the support he wanted and then they did a 180 after the videos were made.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Maybe that wasn't a good example. Try this - If I want to start a Go Fund Me to raise a bunch of money to give to ISU FB players and the Tennis team gets mad and wants to sue me they'd have no basis.

The Collective is a stand alone organization and it's leaders can determine how they want to distribute the funds they collect.
It depends on how much the athletic department is helping you. In some instances using email lists etc it is a thin veil to pierce.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
He sounds like a tool and a moron. Enjoy all those lawsuits from female athletes when the universities start working with collectives to divert donations for pay for play in a transparent move to try to get around Title IX.

This is what even dim witted Barta can see as the obvious risk. It will be interesting when coaches go do their donor meet and greets and start plugging NIL collectives. Donations are finite. So you’d have to ask why might a university employee plug a non-university avenue for donations?

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU and Acylum

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I think Brad is frustrated in that he had an agreement to make some promotional SWARM videos with the Iowa coaches, but he got the rug pulled out from under him at the last minute. He had the support he wanted and then they did a 180 after the videos were made.

That’s always a business risk.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
He sounds like a tool and a moron. Enjoy all those lawsuits from female athletes when the universities start working with collectives to divert donations for pay for play in a transparent move to try to get around Title IX.

This is what even dim witted Barta can see as the obvious risk. It will be interesting when coaches go do their donor meet and greets and start plugging NIL collectives. Donations are finite. So you’d have to ask why might a university employee plug a non-university avenue for donations?

We do ours under the guise of “charity”, which I don’t love either.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
It’s because he knows the donor base. If you have this Collective out there bashing people over the head with “this will get the football team to 10 wins every year!” then hok fan will just throw all of their money away to that end and the actual AD will crumble. Money isn’t infinite.
Exactly. I highly doubt there is an extra $10 million in untapped dollars just floating around the Iowa fan base. Barta sees this more as a threat to his kingdom than a help.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
What could go wrong with university employees promoting a diversion of donations from their employer to an “independent” organization that launders money in an incredibly transparent way that everyone understands to bypass federal law?

The lawyers are simply giving the ADs enough rope and the max amount of money diverted to collectives before springing the class action lawsuits on the universities.

• Agree
Reactions: Die4Cy and Acylum

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
We do ours under the guise of “charity”, which I don’t love either.
Would you prefer they just pay them? Obviously it isn't pure charity but I'm sure the people that are having athletes come out to help appreciate it. Blum has also posted that guys are putting in extra time and going back on their own. I guess between the two choices that seems preferable to me. Even if it doesn't pass a purity test

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Would you prefer they just pay them? Obviously it isn't pure charity but I'm sure the people that are having athletes come out to help appreciate it. Blum has also posted that guys are putting in extra time and going back on their own. I guess between the two choices that seems preferable to me. Even if it doesn't pass a purity test
100%. Just pay them. At least the NCAA could step in an develop actual rules and caps.

All these collectives do is give big time boosters a great way to launder money and a new avenue for tax breaks because the IRS was starting to crack down on 'donations' to athletic departments. College sports is going to better off when these collectives are dead and buried.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
100%. Just pay them. At least the NCAA could step in an develop actual rules and caps.

All these collectives do is give big time boosters a great way to launder money and a new avenue for tax breaks because the IRS was starting to crack down on 'donations' to athletic departments. College sports is going to better off when these collectives are dead and buried.
Oh I agree that I'd rather NCAA step in and setup rules and we just pay them but I guess I don't understand at this point in time disliking that our guys do some paid charity work.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

These types of things happen all of the time in the business world. People put hours and effort into various ideas only for the legal corporate team to come in and put an ax to it. It happens.

Just my opinion but we are in unchartered waters in regards to the world of NIL. Things are going to be changing and changing fast so guys like Brad may want to pump the breaks a little instead of trying to make Barta look like the bad guy. Imagine if Iowa fans would have been this upset with Kirk running a racist program?

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
He said $10 mil annually for players would be a reasonable # to keep up with Nebraska.

Where does that money come from? Annually? At what point do people start making the choice between donating to the collective, or buying tickets/parking passes? And when will Congress finally decide to tax the **** out of these athletic departments?

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Fair to whom? The athletes playing those sports would say that they have worked just as hard as those in the money-making sports, and it's not their fault that their sports do not make money.

I am not saying those athletes desire it, nor entitled to it, but to think that they are going to just sit back and watch other athletes make 100's of thousands to millions and they make little, or nothing is fantasy. They would have nothing to lose in that case, so they will sue to try and get a better deal.

Until the NCAA sets up some guidelines here, every school is on their own, it will not be like that forever, something has to be done to reign this in, or college athletics as they currently designed will not survive.

No, it's not their fault. But it's still a fact. That would be like me demanding that my employer(my profession doesn't exist to make money) pay me the same as my brother in law (his profession makes a ton of money) because I work just as hard as he does.

That's not how the world works.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Not saying anything against other Olympic sports but the wrestling program with the CRTC fundraising has done a fantastic job this year. Knowing that the collectives are focused on those money-making sports (which makes 100% sense) the CRTC really pushed hard to hone in on donors that love wrestling and reaching out to them to get onboard.

I'm all for non revenue sports having booster clubs or NIL clubs or whatever. If people want to donate to that, that's great.