Hawk support for Patrick McCaffery

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
So, the Dad benched me and I quit story is about to really get good?

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
He’s soft. Physically and mentally. Not a fit for TJ.

Absolutely not and I can’t emphasize absolutely enough. He doesn’t defend, he isn’t that great of a scorer. He doesn’t rebound. He’s soft mentally and physically. Totally the opposite of what TJ looks for.
Right or wrong, calling a kid mentally soft after taking a break for mental health issues is kind of a **** move

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
They will literally eat their own over there. Worst and most extreme fair weather fans of all time. Both with players and with coaches.

It’s sad.

People can say what they want about Pat, but this is a microcosm of everything that is wrong with fandom and with the internet.

Kid is struggling with his mental health, actually has the balls to check out for a minute and be honest about why, decides to come back and just gets roasted by his own fans. When his brother and his dad are part of the program for god’s sake.

He’s gotten more support for his decision from his in-state rival fan base than his own fans.

Bunch of tough guys on the internet likely working bull $hit jobs at companies where no one knows their name going in on a kid who has to live his life in the Public eye.

Pains me to say this but Jorbo actually made a good point about this on his podcast with Stansbury the other day talking about the Hunter situation. One thing for the players to mix it up online because they actually have to go into battle. It’s the people hiding behind the anonymity of their screen name that are cowards and get the most worked up and talk the most $hit.

Do your thing, Pat. I hope we beat you every time we play you and you go 0-1,000, but f**k these people in your fan base that are talking $hit about you because you put yourself before them and their own unrealized childhood sports fantasies.

Last edited:

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Without a doubt the guy has been through a lot, but people are talking like he is a 15 year old kid. Patrick will be 23 in 2 months from today. He is not a kid, he is an adult.

If he was at ISU he would be at best the 3 or 4 kid off the bench, no where near a starter, and he has been getting starter minutes for years. Its a touching story, but lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Without a doubt the guy has been through a lot, but people are talking like he is a 15 year old kid. Patrick will be 23 in 2 months from today. He is not a kid, he is an adult.

If he was at ISU he would be at best the 3 or 4 kid off the bench, no where near a starter, and he has been getting starter minutes for years. Its a touching story, but lets not get ahead of ourselves here.
You’re missing the point of the entire conversation here. So is everyone else talking about whether or not he’d play in TJs system. It’s just not the point.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
You’re missing the point of the entire conversation here. So is everyone else talking about whether or not he’d play in TJs system. It’s just not the point.
The guy battled through cancer and now is going through anxiety to the point where he can’t play the game he loves.. He has gone through so much. His mental toughness is more than any of us can imagine, regardless of whether or not he’s good on a basketball court.

Props to him. And **** all those Iowa fans.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
We can agree to disagree, I see a kid that grew up with a privileged upbringing, dad is a division 1 coach, making millions that overcame cancer at a young age, that has not returned, that is a soft basketball player. He thinks he has a problem and steps away from the program, the IEU fans do not like that, what else is there to see.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I thought he was traveling with the team the whole time. Does that picture mean anything ?

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
We can agree to disagree, I see a kid that grew up with a privileged upbringing, dad is a division 1 coach, making millions that overcame cancer at a young age, that has not returned, that is a soft basketball player. He thinks he has a problem and steps away from the program, the IEU fans do not like that, what else is there to see.
What part of this has anything to do with the fact the kid is struggle with his mental health enough that he felt compelled to check out for a couple of weeks and let the whole world know about it only to have his own fan base basically tell him
It to come back because they’re on a heater?

I can only assume you think he should be immune to mental health struggles because his daddy’s rich and he’s a gifted athlete?

Reactions: SimpsonClone

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
What part of this has anything to do with the fact the kid is struggle with his mental health enough that he felt compelled to check out for a couple of weeks and let the whole world know about it only to have his own fan base basically tell him
It to come back because they’re on a heater?

I can only assume you think he should be immune to mental health struggles because his daddy’s rich and he’s a gifted athlete?
No not at all, he made that choice, but he also has to expect some EIU fans to be after him for making that choice.

This is a guy that grew up in a high-pressure family, his parents were both D1 athletes, as well as his older brother, it's not like this in the first time he has been under pressure. I get the fact the kid has been through a lot, but so have many others, without the privilege that he has been surrounded with his entire life. I am not making fun of him, but I also understand what the EIU fans are thinking, which is here is an almost 23-year-old college student, that is not getting the job done, and would not be starting on the majority of D1 bb teams, but was getting major minutes, because his dad was the head coach.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
No not at all, he made that choice, but he also has to expect some EIU fans to be after him for making that choice.

This is a guy that grew up in a high-pressure family, his parents were both D1 athletes, as well as his older brother, it's not like this in the first time he has been under pressure. I get the fact the kid has been through a lot, but so have many others, without the privilege that he has been surrounded with his entire life. I am not making fun of him, but I also understand what the EIU fans are thinking, which is here is an almost 23-year-old college student, that is not getting the job done, and would not be starting on the majority of D1 bb teams, but was getting major minutes, because his dad was the head coach.
That's not what you said, though. You said he was soft because he left the team to deal with his mental health issues. That's ****** up.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009

You continue to focus on his family’s so II-economic position and his skill as a basketball player. Again, you’re missing the point.

And continually changing your story.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
That's not what you said, though. You said he was soft because he left the team to deal with his mental health issues. That's ****** up.
I said he was a soft basketball player, that has nothing to do with his mental health and him stepping away from the game. How about we stop this BS of putting the two together to see what you want to see, even when it's not there.

I have not changed any story here, this is a soon to be 23-year-old college student, that grew up in family who were both D1 athletes, has an older brother that is one, and has played starters minutes for years, even when he was not producing at a high level, while better players were on the bench.

• Haha
Reactions: CY88CE11

Cy4All

Aug 20, 2022
Sorry I don't follow EIU sports other than hate week. I've apparently been hiding under a cyclone and didn't know Patrick left the team. Anyone have a link to the full story of what happened with Pat.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron