Hawk support for Patrick McCaffery

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
It’s not ripping them. It’s just a fact. Ok, he’s doing what he needs to. He’s still mentally soft, leaving the team in the middle of the season. That’s letting your teammates down.

Takes a certain mindset to play sports at this level, not everyone has it.
You're literally ripping him for being soft in the post you claim you're not ripping him. Why don't you sit this one out, champ? You make our fan base look bad.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
You're literally ripping him for being soft in the post you claim you're not ripping him. Why don't you sit this one out, champ? You make our fan base look bad.

I understand why people put certain posters on "ignore", but for me personally I am no longer avoiding toxic posters on here and I think it's important to call them out and hold them accountable for their actions, for whatever that means on an internet message board.

If nothing else, since they are such toxic and nasty people I have no hesitation or remorse about making their experience on here as nasty and toxic as possible, with the (possibly way too optimistic) hopes that it will become so unpleasant for them that they stop posting.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I understand why people put certain posters on "ignore", but for me personally I am no longer avoiding toxic posters on here and I think it's important to call them out and hold them accountable for their actions, for whatever that means on an internet message board.

If nothing else, since they are such toxic and nasty people I have no hesitation or remorse about making their experience on here as nasty and toxic as possible, with the (possibly way too optimistic) hopes that it will become so unpleasant for them that they stop posting.
It is more like you fan the flames though. The dooshers want a rise out of people and argue with them.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonesrule91

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Have you ever had anyone close to you struggle with anxiety and/or depression? I'll give you a hint, it doesn't just affect poor people. And it's not something to make light of.
Yes, I have been around a few people that struggle with mental issues, but why do some here think since I said he was a "soft" basketball player, that it has anything to do with his mental health?

I have empathy for his mental health problems but that has nothing to do with him being a soft basketball players that was playing when others were not only better but in the case of one, became a lottery pick.

People today see and read what they want to see, then attack others, over a slight that was not intended nor given.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Ever sit near Fran and his wife at one of their sons' high school basketball games?
Wife’s cousin has tickets to Iowa MBB games and his wife is starting to give him issues about going due to Fran.

I can see how anxiety can be elevated with his yelling, chest bumping and jackwagonery that he does to the players. Then add in it’s your dad and what he did to you at AAU and HS games, it has to be tough growing up in that. You have that 25 hours a day.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyismymonkey

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
It makes me laugh, the fake concern for Patrick on this board.

Didn’t see anyone defending the kid until he stepped away from the team. I’m sure there’s a lot of kids who deal with anxiety and all the social media comments don’t help, but that comes with the territory of playing big time sports.
You continue to miss the point.

No one knew he was dealing with mental health struggles until he came out with it publicly. There was nothing to “defend”. It was about basketball at this point.

It’s also possible his anxiety isn’t rooted in basketball but is exacerbated by it. Thus his decision.

If basketball was truly the source of his anxiety you think 2 weeks would fix that? Likely not.

You’re also assuming the anxiety is from social media comments which is nonsensical. If that was the case why would you come out publicly and say it? You’re just begging for more of the same. They’d just cover it up by being vague or faking another illness/injury. And again, 2 weeks off isn’t going to fix it.

You’re making a ton of assumptions and your logic makes zero sense.

Last edited:
  • Dumb
Reactions: CyJack13 and JP4CY

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Yes, I have been around a few people that struggle with mental issues, but why do some here think since I said he was a "soft" basketball player, that it has anything to do with his mental health?

I have empathy for his mental health problems but that has nothing to do with him being a soft basketball players that was playing when others were not only better but in the case of one, became a lottery pick.

People today see and read what they want to see, then attack others, over a slight that was not intended nor given.
Go back and reread your posts. It’s clear you were tying the two together and continued to argue about it.

• Agree
Reactions: CY88CE11

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Go back and reread your posts. It’s clear you were tying the two together and continued to argue about it.
I have reread it many times, I said he was a soft BB players, a claim that many EIU fans have. I have also stated repeatedly that I feel for his problems. I am not the one that is combining the two, it's you and few others.

• Creative
Reactions: twincyties

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

That's exactly what you did, and then started backpedaling, as others have pointed out. You also implied a connection with his family's financial status to his mental health, as if being from a financially advantaged household somehow insulates someone from anxiety and depression.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Ever sit near Fran and his wife at one of their sons' high school basketball games?
I haven't, but I'm pretty sure you can't diagnose a kid based on that. The other dude made a stupid joke about anxiety and depression, and then followed it up with something about how mental health shouldn't be joked about. Hence my 'JFC.'

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Honestly, I wonder how much support any player not named McCaffrey would have had from the head coach for a mental health leave.
Immediately wondered the same. Would anyone else be able to just leave and come back whenever they ‘feel ready’? I think a certain 2 or 3 players wouldn’t be allowed the same grace.

Not saying patrick owes anything to UI. He can do what’s best for him guilt free and get right.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
That's exactly what you did, and then started backpedaling, as others have pointed out. You also implied a connection with his family's financial status to his mental health, as if being from a financially advantaged household somehow insulates someone from anxiety and depression.
Show me a link where I said anything linking his soft play and mental health. I said the EIU fans have complained about how soft of a player he is on the floor. Nothing about his mental health other than to say that I feel for him.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Show me a link where I said anything linking his soft play and mental health. I said the EIU fans have complained about how soft of a player he is on the floor. Nothing about his mental health other than to say that I feel for him.

You talked about his privileged upbringing and rattled off all the other reasons he's soft, with "he thinks he has a problem" requiring him to step away from the game as one of those reasons. If that's not what you meant, then you just worded your post really, really poorly.