Hawk support for Patrick McCaffery

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Made a joke about mental health and then said mental health is nothing to joke about.
I never made any joke about mental health, in fact I said, I emphasized with the kid, it was the Iowa fan base that has a problem with it.

Again you are readying what you want to read, not what I said.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
You just called him soft and then implied he should be immune from mental health issues because he’s privileged. If you actually meant what you went on to clarify/backpedal later it was very poorly communicated.

• Agree
Reactions: CY88CE11

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
That's not what you said, though. You said he was soft because he left the team to deal with his mental health issues. That's ****** up.

Where in this post....
We can agree to disagree, I see a kid that grew up with a privileged upbringing, dad is a division 1 coach, making millions that overcame cancer at a young age, that has not returned, that is a soft basketball player. He thinks he has a problem and steps away from the program, the IEU fans do not like that, what else is there to see.

....do you find "because"?

• Dumb

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Where in this post....

....do you find "because"?
Sure I'll play your little game, and then you can explain it to me. I stated 2 sentences, so let's break them down.

We can agree to disagree, I see a kid that grew up with a privileged upbringing, dad is a division 1 coach, making millions that overcame cancer at a young age, that has not returned, that is a soft basketball player.

So, Patrick father is a D1 basketball coach and his been for a long time, between the money that he has made, and who he is, top 1% of all Americans in salary, I would say that is a privileged upbringing. Would you not agree?

Patrick overcame cancer at a young age, and the cancer has not returned. Again, anything untruthful there? No, kid has cancer when he was young, and it has not returned.

He is a soft basketball player. A statement stated over and over on EIU forums, I say nothing at all about his mental health in the first sentence, in fact I do not even mention it.

He thinks he has a problem and steps away from the program, the IEU fans do not like that, what else is there to see.

He has a problem and steps away from the program, that happened, EIU fans are not pleased that he stepped away, again, what is at fault in the statement or untrue?

The last line," What else is there to see" is nothing.

So please show me where I saw anything about Patrick's mental health? Or did you read the word SOFT and then project that I stated something about Patrick being mentally soft, which I did not do.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
The fact that you even brought this into the discussion about mental health makes it clear you feel the two are related. Why else would you introduce this to the discussion?

And the way you stated it does nothing at all to separate the two topics.

This is a losing argument. Just stop trying to dig yourself out of this hole. No one will be convinced otherwise.

• Agree

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Sure I'll play your little game, and then you can explain it to me. I stated 2 sentences, so let's break them down.

We can agree to disagree, I see a kid that grew up with a privileged upbringing, dad is a division 1 coach, making millions that overcame cancer at a young age, that has not returned, that is a soft basketball player.

So, Patrick father is a D1 basketball coach and his been for a long time, between the money that he has made, and who he is, top 1% of all Americans in salary, I would say that is a privileged upbringing. Would you not agree?

Patrick overcame cancer at a young age, and the cancer has not returned. Again, anything untruthful there? No, kid has cancer when he was young, and it has not returned.

He is a soft basketball player. A statement stated over and over on EIU forums, I say nothing at all about his mental health in the first sentence, in fact I do not even mention it.

He thinks he has a problem and steps away from the program, the IEU fans do not like that, what else is there to see.

He has a problem and steps away from the program, that happened, EIU fans are not pleased that he stepped away, again, what is at fault in the statement or untrue?

So please show me where I saw anything about Patrick's mental health? Or did you read the word SOFT and then project that I stated something about Patrick being mentally soft, which I did not do.

Hey relax.........I'm on your side.

You didn't say he was soft "because". You stated he was a soft player. And he is.

Has absolutely nothing to do with what he is going through. He just isn't a tough hard nosed player. He never was.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I know kids are softer than ever today, but I can’t imagine just abandoning my teammates in the middle of a season. I don’t know how he thinks it’s a good idea to travel with the team. I’m sure the other guys on the team have no respect for him.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The fact that you even brought this into the discussion about mental health makes it clear you feel the two are related. Why else would you introduce this to the discussion?

And the way you stated it does nothing at all to separate the two topics.

This is a losing argument. Just stop trying to dig yourself out of this hole. No one will be convinced otherwise.
Projecting what you think I said is the problem, not anything I said. I said nothing about his mental health, just his style of basketball, but for some, they want to put the two together, and see something that was not there.

The world we live in today, I guess.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Projecting what you think I said is the problem, not anything I said. I said nothing about his mental health, just his style of basketball, but for some, they want to put the two together, and see something that was not there.

The world we live in today, I guess.
Like I said before, if you didn’t mean to say that his socioeconomic status and toughness as a basketball player on the floor had anything to do with the validity of his mental health issues or their fan base’s response then you probably shouldn’t have mentioned it in the post. You were asking for all the blow back you’ve gotten here.

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008

The "He thinks he has a problem" is a poor choice of words and using it implies he doesn't actually have a problem. You would have got a lot less grief if you had said "He has a problem and steps...". Unless you actually think mental health issues aren't real, in which case you deserved the flack you got.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
FWIW the local shows on KXNO made it sound like he’d be playing tonight. Even discussing how many minutes he should get. I have no idea why he didn’t play.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
FWIW the local shows on KXNO made it sound like he’d be playing tonight. Even discussing how many minutes he should get. I have no idea why he didn’t play.
Wife flipped on the game for a bit and the announcers said he planned to wear his suit at the game but forgot his pants, so there was no intention of him playing last night.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Wife flipped on the game for a bit and the announcers said he planned to wear his suit at the game but forgot his pants, so there was no intention of him playing last night.
Run that by me again.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Run that by me again.
He was sitting on the bench in sweats. It was suits and sneakers night for coaches vs cancer and the Iowa coaches were wearing said attire. Patrick had planned to wear the same, but forgot his suit pants at home. The announcers were joking about it also and wondered how you could forget them. I'm guessing he has the typical college thing of slacks and a blazer so they aren't put together. All my suits are hung together as coat and pants (I don't do vests with them so just two pieces).

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
He was sitting on the bench in sweats. It was suits and sneakers night for coaches vs cancer and the Iowa coaches were wearing said attire. Patrick had planned to wear the same, but forgot his suit pants at home. The announcers were joking about it also and wondered how you could forget them. I'm guessing he has the typical college thing of slacks and a blazer so they aren't put together. All my suits are hung together as coat and pants (I don't do vests with them so just two pieces).
I thought you were implying he forgot his uniform pants and I was going to say, "What is this, sixth grade?".

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Ms3r4ISU

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron