Hawk support for Patrick McCaffery

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
They will literally eat their own over there. Worst and most extreme fair weather fans of all time. Both with players and with coaches.

It’s sad.

People can say what they want about Pat, but this is a microcosm of everything that is wrong with fandom and with the internet.

Kid is struggling with his mental health, actually has the balls to check out for a minute and be honest about why, decides to come back and just gets roasted by his own fans. When his brother and his dad are part of the program for god’s sake.

He’s gotten more support for his decision from his in-state rival fan base than his own fans.

Bunch of tough guys on the internet likely working bull $hit jobs at companies where no one knows their name going in on a kid who has to live his life in the Public eye.

Pains me to say this but Jorbo actually made a good point about this on his podcast with Stansbury the other day talking about the Hunter situation. One thing for the players to mix it up online because they actually have to go into battle. It’s the people hiding behind the anonymity of their screen name that are cowards and get the most worked up and talk the most $hit.

Do your thing, Pat. I hope we beat you every time we play you and you go 0-1,000, but f**k these people in your fan base that are talking $hit about you because you put yourself before them and their own unrealized childhood sports fantasies.

How about a wildly inconsistent player who bestowed himself the nickname Saucy T.?

Bumps in the road could be ahead.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
How about a wildly inconsistent player who bestowed himself the nickname Saucy T.?

Bumps in the road could be ahead.
Saucy T.? Who the heck is that? The big guy who portalled and came back? Looks like he’s had plenty of sauce.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Right or wrong, calling a kid mentally soft after taking a break for mental health issues is kind of a **** move
It sure is. But to me this starts with Fran - he should’ve encouraged his kids to play in the mac or Missouri valley, they aren’t power 5 talents. They could have had better careers at a lower level and not caused so much friction in the program.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Sorry I don't follow EIU sports other than hate week. I've apparently been hiding under a cyclone and didn't know Patrick left the team. Anyone have a link to the full story of what happened with Pat.
He was struggling from anxiety, so stepped away for a few games.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
When the majority of your fan base can't name one building on campus, you're going to get a lot of trash comments on just about anything.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
We can agree to disagree, I see a kid that grew up with a privileged upbringing, dad is a division 1 coach, making millions that overcame cancer at a young age, that has not returned, that is a soft basketball player. He thinks he has a problem and steps away from the program, the IEU fans do not like that, what else is there to see.
Have you ever had anyone close to you struggle with anxiety and/or depression? I'll give you a hint, it doesn't just affect poor people. And it's not something to make light of.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Well, CyJack13 is kind of a **** himself, so it stands to figure.

It makes me laugh, the fake concern for Patrick on this board.

Didn’t see anyone defending the kid until he stepped away from the team. I’m sure there’s a lot of kids who deal with anxiety and all the social media comments don’t help, but that comes with the territory of playing big time sports.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Didn’t see anyone defending the kid until he stepped away from the team. I’m sure there’s a lot of kids who deal with anxiety and all the social media comments don’t help, but that comes with the territory of playing big time sports.
You didn't see anyone defending him for struggling with anxiety and depression until after he announced he was struggling with anxiety and depression and stepping away? Yeah, that is strange.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
No not at all, he made that choice, but he also has to expect some EIU fans to be after him for making that choice.

This is a guy that grew up in a high-pressure family, his parents were both D1 athletes, as well as his older brother, it's not like this in the first time he has been under pressure. I get the fact the kid has been through a lot, but so have many others, without the privilege that he has been surrounded with his entire life. I am not making fun of him, but I also understand what the EIU fans are thinking, which is here is an almost 23-year-old college student, that is not getting the job done, and would not be starting on the majority of D1 bb teams, but was getting major minutes, because his dad was the head coach.
If anyone ever goes after someone for trying to take steps to improve their mental health, they need to check their own mental health.

We live in a society that is constantly trying to pressure us to live a certain way. Kudos to this kid for focusing on his well-being rather than a sport.

Also, a privileged background is a matter of perception. If you want to say he "thinks" he has a problem, then you have to realize that you "think" he is privileged. Just because a family has money and genes to play sports does not mean they are privileged. Kid is likely the opposite of privileged given the **** he has had to go through with his physical health and mental health.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Probably since we didn’t know. Being from that family we shouldn’t be surprised, but mental illnesses are not a joke.

• Dumb
Reactions: Lafaester54

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
So you only change the way you talk about people once you realize they can’t handle it? That’s not the sign of a good person.
No. You can say he’s soft as a player but not insult him for a mental issue he has. So you make fun of people with learning disabilities and other stuff?

You can dislike a person for several reasons, I just find ripping someone for something like this a crappy reason.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
No. You can say he’s soft as a player but not insult him for a mental issue he has. So you make fun of people with learning disabilities and other stuff?

You can dislike a person for several reasons, I just find ripping someone for something like this a crappy reason.

It’s not ripping them. It’s just a fact. Ok, he’s doing what he needs to. He’s still mentally soft, leaving the team in the middle of the season. That’s letting your teammates down.

Takes a certain mindset to play sports at this level, not everyone has it.