Dr. Jill has invited Hawkeye Women to the White House

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I shrugged it off like something a non sports fan mom would say. Looking at the ratings compared to a few years ago it was something that transcended sports even without the Angel thing at the end.

I think it's people who played at some sort of high level at any sport that take offense, I actually kind of get it if they don't step back and realize this is somebody who probably knows next to nothing about sports. Generally Jill Biden is about the most likable, least offensive and non-political political figures of our lifetime...I can kind of get the criticism in this one case if people keep it in context. The nutjobs who have FREAKED out that she sometimes is called "doctor" because she has a PHD probably need to be put in an asylum though.
I couldn't care less, she has earned the right to Dr. title but it is not a PhD. It is an Ed.D.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
She said CC disrespected one of her teammates (Alexis?) but no idea what or how. Don't know what Reese is referring to with that. She also said she was standing up for her "SEC sisters" who she thinks Clark also disrespected in the FF game.
I can't find the clip right now, but when she was open on the arc and Clark was the closest defender she didn't close out - which is fine - but instead made a dismissive wave at her. It is okay to not guard someone but I can understand how a player might find the dismissive wave disrespectful. That being said, who cares. I really think Mulkey drummed up a bunch of Clark disrespecting us and the game stuff before the game as a way to motivate her players.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonewino

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I can't find the clip right now, but when she was open on the arc and Clark was the closest defender she didn't close out - which is fine - but instead made a dismissive wave at her. It is okay to not guard someone but I can understand how a player might find the dismissive wave disrespectful. That being said, who cares. I really think Mulkey drummed up a bunch of Clark disrespecting us and the game stuff before the game as a way to motivate her players.
Yeah that was against SC. So that's the "SEC sisters" being disrespected thing that Reese mentioned. I didn't like it either, but I pretty much hate all forms of trash/smack talk. I wouldn't doubt Mulkey using it to motivate her team. I do think Reese has a lot of "diva" in her as well, she was one of the best HS recruits a few years ago, seems to love the spotlight, likes wearing a crown, etc., and I don't think she likes all the media love CC has gotten this year and that was part of her motivation as well.

Reactions: Antihawk240

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Yeah that was against SC. So that's the "SEC sisters" being disrespected thing that Reese mentioned. I didn't like it either, but I pretty much hate all forms of trash/smack talk. I wouldn't doubt Mulkey using it to motivate her team. I do think Reese has a lot of "diva" in her as well, she was one of the best HS recruits a few years ago, seems to love the spotlight, likes wearing a crown, etc., and I don't think she likes all the media love CC has gotten this year and that was part of her motivation as well.
I didn't realize that was in the USC game. Yeah, then it was definitely Mulkey trying to manufacture something to fire her team up.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Lol, my group's perception is everyone's perception.
I don't have a group. I just view the media coverage from around the nation and observe social media. Unless there's a national poll taken, that's about all you can do. But you're welcome to perceive it however you like. It's not worth arguing over.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
All three SEC opponents were the same in that they had a lot of disdain for Iowa. It started with Georgia, then it was SC and then ended with LSU.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I don't have a group. I just view the media coverage from around the nation and observe social media. Unless there's a national poll taken, that's about all you can do. But you're welcome to perceive it however you like. It's not worth arguing over.
The media loves to frame everything in terms of race.

I see this as two fairly expressive competitors getting after each other in the heat of battle. I thought the LSU player was a bit more aggressive with it, but whatever. Surprised there's still a conversation going about it, honestly.

Last edited:

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
This is a horrible idea and I hope Biden doesn't follow his wife's suggestion.

This game has already taken on very strong racial overtones. The nation perceives Iowa as the white team led by the great white hope Clark, and LSU is the black team. Whites describe Clark as "competitive" and Reese as a "thug".

If the Whitehouse breaks tradition and, for the first time in history, invites the losing team (the white team) to share the spotlight with the black team, this will blow up in Biden's face and become a full blown racial issue.

Change whites, to Iowa fans and it would be more accurate.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
I agree only LSU should be invited. It could also be considered racist to invite Iowa given the difference in the makeup of the teams.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I agree. Iowa got beat by 17 in the national championship game, but they still finished runner up and won a final four game. Best team the state has ever seen and they will be remembered that way.

Until most of the bandwagon WBB fans go back to not caring by May of this year.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Until most of the bandwagon WBB fans go back to not caring by May of this year.
What was the attendance this year for Iowa WBB? It seemed they had at least over 10K for most games and sell outs for quite a few others. Unless Clark transfers, I would expect Carver to sell out most of the games next year too.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
The University of Iowa is officially a women's basketball school. Tickets to next year's women's games will be hard to come by, but you'll be able to sit wherever you like and enjoy free pizza at the men's games.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Tickets to next year's women's games will be hard to come by, but you'll be able to sit wherever you like and enjoy free pizza at the men's games.
The women bball and wrestling teams will dominate Carver next year for sure.

• Agree
Reactions: fcclone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The media loves to frame everything in terms of race.

I see this as two fairly expressive competitors getting after each other in the heat of battle. I thought the LSU player was a bit more aggressive with it, but whatever. Surprised there's still a conversation going about it, honestly.
I think when Reese starting talking about "doing it for girls who look like me" or something to that effect she made it about race.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclonepride