Dr. Jill has invited Hawkeye Women to the White House

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
She’s the biggest trash talker out there but no one said a word about until Reese
Neither she nor I stated otherwise. She was asked about the double standard for MBB players' on-court behavior vs. WBB players, and she said they should all be allowed to trash talk and what not, just like MBB are allowed to do.

Reactions: Shawker and bos

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
Yeah that was against SC. So that's the "SEC sisters" being disrespected thing that Reese mentioned. I didn't like it either, but I pretty much hate all forms of trash/smack talk. I wouldn't doubt Mulkey using it to motivate her team. I do think Reese has a lot of "diva" in her as well, she was one of the best HS recruits a few years ago, seems to love the spotlight, likes wearing a crown, etc., and I don't think she likes all the media love CC has gotten this year and that was part of her motivation as well.
That's the thing. I don't understand the whole Disrespect schpeel. If anything the South Carolina game just displayed Bluder's brilliance in coaching. South Carolina had three girls 6'4", 6'5" and 6'7" while also having a poor perimeter shooting team. It doesnt take a D1 coach who's tallest player is 6'3" to figure out how South Carolina was going to attack Iowa. So, Bluder cut it off. Put 5 girls on the post players and forced a poor perimeter shooting team to shoot the perimeter. And it worked just like it was suppose to. Then LSU gets all bent out of shape on it saying it's disrespectful and they'll make Iowa pay if they guard the LSU perimeter the same way Iowa did South Carolina. Well no *&^% Shirlock! Do they really think any level basketball coach from Middle School to Division 1 uses the exact same game plan regardless of opponent.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Neither she nor I stated otherwise. She was asked about the double standard for MBB players' on-court behavior vs. WBB players, and she said they should all be allowed to trash talk and what not, just like MBB are allowed to do.

If a UCONN player would've done to an Aztec player what Reese did to Clark, you would've heard about it.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
If a UCONN player would've done to an Aztec player what Reese did to Clark, you would've heard about it.
This is what people are missing. Reese went above and beyond the norm when it comes to stuff like this. Clark's hand gesture didn't seem like it was at anyone in particular and it only lasted a second after hitting a big three forcing a Louisville TO.

Reese did it to Clark at the free throw line and might have called her something in the process and then chased her around the court. It was a lot different.

I really don't have any problem with any of it, but to say it is the same thing is disingenuous.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This is what people are missing. Reese went above and beyond the norm when it comes to stuff like this. Clark's hand gesture didn't seem like it was at anyone in particular and it only lasted a second after hitting a big three forcing a Louisville TO.

Reese did it to Clark at the free throw line and might have called her something in the process and then chased her around the court. It was a lot different.

I really don't have any problem with any of it, but to say it is the same thing is disingenuous.

Clark's was directed toward a Louisville player.

Reese's was much more intently done.

One was hailed as great, the other not.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Clark's was directed toward a Louisville player.
Clark said it was toward an Iowa asst. coach and it was much more normal of what we see in sports whether that is rocking the baby, feeding the rock, the shooting the arrow, putting it to sleep or you are too small gestures that you see a lot of players do during the game. I can't recall a time I saw something like what Reese did and that is why it got so much attention not to mention it happened during the highest rated women's game of all time. Clark's happened in the elite 8 with a lot less viewers.

• Disagree
Reactions: Bigman38

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

Clark's antics were aimed at Louisville. She's a cocky B@@#h. At least on the court, and I have no problem with it. Reese is the same way. Hawks fans should just except it. Embrace it if you want. Iowa fans need to stop playing Iowa as the "innocent classy teammates" that were victimized by the "big bad no class girls" from the SEC.

• Agree
Reactions: AlCyJim and NWICY

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Clark said it was toward an Iowa asst. coach and it was much more normal of what we see in sports whether that is rocking the baby, feeding the rock, the shooting the arrow, putting it to sleep or you are too small gestures that you see a lot of players do during the game. I can't recall a time I saw something like what Reese did and that is why it got so much attention not to mention it happened during the highest rated women's game of all time. Clark's happened in the elite 8 with a lot less viewers.

There was a clip out there that shows her intently looking at a Louisville player on the way to the bench at a time out.

She's lying.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
That's the thing. I don't understand the whole Disrespect schpeel. If anything the South Carolina game just displayed Bluder's brilliance in coaching. South Carolina had three girls 6'4", 6'5" and 6'7" while also having a poor perimeter shooting team. It doesnt take a D1 coach who's tallest player is 6'3" to figure out how South Carolina was going to attack Iowa. So, Bluder cut it off. Put 5 girls on the post players and forced a poor perimeter shooting team to shoot the perimeter. And it worked just like it was suppose to. Then LSU gets all bent out of shape on it saying it's disrespectful and they'll make Iowa pay if they guard the LSU perimeter the same way Iowa did South Carolina. Well no *&^% Shirlock! Do they really think any level basketball coach from Middle School to Division 1 uses the exact same game plan regardless of opponent.
Bluders coaching brilliance? Come on man, it showed the lack of ability of Dawn more than anything. We saw what a great coach Bluder was when she faced off with Mulkey, who is the best coach in womens ball the last decade. She got absolutely put over a knee.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Would Jill have invited the LSU team if Iowa had won?

Iowa is not invited to the White House. Jill just stated that it was a great game. And would love to have both teams. Invitation to the National Champs. Jill Biden spokesman walked it back.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Heard about it, sure. But I think it still would have been seen as more acceptable/palatable if it happened in a men's game, especially if the targeted SDSU player had multiple viral moments for trash talk/gestures in the tournament. More people would chalk it up to that player getting a dose of his own medicine in that hypothetical, IMO.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Bluders coaching brilliance? Come on man, it showed the lack of ability of Dawn more than anything. We saw what a great coach Bluder was when she faced off with Mulkey, who is the best coach in womens ball the last decade. She got absolutely put over a knee.
Bluder was awesome against Louisville by switching to the triangle in 2 and then did a great job against SC and you are right Staley was clueless on what to do. Bluder ran into a buzzsaw against LSU and obviously Mulkey is the better coach with better players to boot.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Bluder's an outstanding coach. Mulkey's one of the best of all time, but let's not pretend that her teams don't consistently have more talent than almost anyone across the board.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 0u812 and iahawks

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
It's one of the threads obsessing over it. Maybe the OG CC one?

She did it toward the Louisville star guard.
We don't know if she did or didn't. All we know is that she did it for a second while walking to her huddle and there wasn't a Louisville player in the screen. Then Van Lith walks across the screen not long after. It could have been towards Van Lith or at the Iowa bench, which Clark claims. We will never know.