SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
She also glared towards the coaches bench too and she said she does that to an Iowa asst. coach. During the sportscenter thing on her before the final four, she said she would never do that directly at a player. Maybe she is lying, but me and you won't know that. I wish she wouldn't do any of that stuff myself.

Have no idea what you are talking about with Grill.
and Fran was staring at an assistant coach not the official that one game too . . . .

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
What was the attendance this year for Iowa WBB? It seemed they had at least over 10K for most games and sell outs for quite a few others. Unless Clark transfers, I would expect Carver to sell out most of the games next year too.
I thought their second option, Czinano, really helped Iowa be what Iowa was this year. CC is a great player, but it seemed like it was the big 2 and other gals who supported them. I wonder if they have a replacement for Czinano, I don't keep up on their recruiting. I'm going to guess if they don't do as well as they did this year and have a star, they won't pack the place like they did this year. We'll see.

Iowa fans packed their dump before ISU did for sure, but we have had a much better run of caring and showing up than they have for more than 20 years. (Even thought they have had some pretty darn good players.)

We have averaged, since 2000-2001 season, almost exactly twice their attendance (2.016 to be more precise.) Their attendance has risen over the past 5 years from 50% to basically equaling ours while having 2 POYs. It is possible they keep it up, but they had high attendance at one point in the 80s and 90s and did not keep up that momentum. I'm pretty sure if they produce a less than crazy product in the next few years it will drop off again.

Iowa fans are fickle.

Reactions: aauummm

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
That's the thing. I don't understand the whole Disrespect schpeel. If anything the South Carolina game just displayed Bluder's brilliance in coaching. South Carolina had three girls 6'4", 6'5" and 6'7" while also having a poor perimeter shooting team. It doesnt take a D1 coach who's tallest player is 6'3" to figure out how South Carolina was going to attack Iowa. So, Bluder cut it off. Put 5 girls on the post players and forced a poor perimeter shooting team to shoot the perimeter. And it worked just like it was suppose to. Then LSU gets all bent out of shape on it saying it's disrespectful and they'll make Iowa pay if they guard the LSU perimeter the same way Iowa did South Carolina. Well no *&^% Shirlock! Do they really think any level basketball coach from Middle School to Division 1 uses the exact same game plan regardless of opponent.
The "disrespectful" comment came from two things, CC's hand wave at the gal standing at the 3 point line in the SC game, and crazy, shiny, look-at-me Kim Mulkey looking for something to rile her team up with. I don't like CCs antics, but both the strategy and her hand wave worked.

I'm pretty sure having 3, 6' 5" and over, women crash the boards to get offensive rebounds and put backs over shorter teams when your outside shooters don't hit shots at a high clip is disrespectful, right?

The strategy was dead on and not disrespectful. If we think it was, every team in the big 12 this year "disrespected" out men's team. That's stupid. They figured us out and played to our weaknesses. Just like Iowa played to SCs.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
This whole thing for LSU about the fact that Clark simply soaked up 100% of the positive media around the Final Four and in beating her they wanted to rub her nose in it a little for that, along with the over the top media coverage of the past week? They're competitors. They believe they were deserving of everything she got.

• Agree
Reactions: Gonzo

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
This article has the video. She clearly does it toward Hailey Van Lith as both head to their benches.

This still doesn't prove anything. Maybe it was intended for Van Lith or it was intended for Iowa's bench. Plus, even if it was intended for Van Lith (A known trash talker herself) it still doesn't equal to what Angel did.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
This still doesn't prove anything. Maybe it was intended for Van Lith or it was intended for Iowa's bench. Plus, even if it was intended for Van Lith (A known trash talker herself) it still doesn't equal to what Angel did.
Man… come on. She taunted Van Lith and that’s ok. I mean if you believe she was doing it to the Iowa bench while literally staring at an opponent she had trash talked all game… then I have to assume you thought Tyrese Halliburton was actually calling God on his finger phone.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Look, Clark is an incredibly talented player. But she has a flaw in her game.

Whether it's her classic shrug move, her disdainful waving off an opponent who is a poor perimeter shooter, her 'you can't see me' gesture, or her constant complaining to officials, she often shows disrespect to those around her. Some prefer to say she's just competitive, but you don't need to disrespect your opponent to be competitive.

To Clark's credit, when she was served a huge dose of her own medicine in the biggest moment of all, she managed to bite down hard and say all the right things after the game.

If she were able to drop all the disrespect, she would be an even greater player than she is now, and that seems hard to believe.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Look, Clark is an incredibly talented player. But she has a flaw in her game.

Whether it's her classic shrug move, her disdainful waving off an opponent who is a poor perimeter shooter, her 'you can't see me' gesture, or her constant complaining to officials, she often shows disrespect to those around her. Some prefer to say she's just competitive, but you don't need to disrespect your opponent to be competitive.

To Clark's credit, when she was served a huge dose of her own medicine in the biggest moment of all, she managed to bite down hard and say all the right things after the game.

If she were able to drop all the disrespect, she would be an even greater player than she is now, and that seems hard to believe.
Clark’s done this all year without a whiff of media criticism. It’s why I can’t stand her. Angel Reese does it, the **** hits the fan and the racist Hawk fans lose their minds.

I think Reese should go to the White House. I knew nothing about her until all the hate spewed at her, but her cousin, Jordan Hawkins, on the UConn men’s team is also getting a ring and they grew up nearby in Maryland. Seems like it would be special for their family.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Clark’s done this all year without a whiff of media criticism. It’s why I can’t stand her. Angel Reese does it, the **** hits the fan and the racist Hawk fans lose their minds.

I think Reese should go to the White House. I knew nothing about her until all the hate spewed at her, but her cousin, Jordan Hawkins, on the UConn men’s team is also getting a ring and they grew up nearby in Maryland. Seems like it would be special for their family.
Reese has done it all year too and not a whiff of criticism. It was when she chased Clark around for 12 seconds is what put it over the top.

Reactions: CycloneVet

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
It's not how it was intended but how it is perceived.

• Winner

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Reese has done it all year too and not a whiff of criticism. It was when she chased Clark around for 12 seconds is what put it over the top.
Maybe Reese has done it all year, but until the final four, Reese got very little of the national publicity that CC has received. Prior to the final four if you asked people on this board who Angel Reese was 99% of them would have no idea.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Maybe Reese has done it all year, but until the final four, Reese got very little of the national publicity that CC has received. Prior to the final four if you asked people on this board who Angel Reese was 99% of them would have no idea.
I would bet 99% of the people across the country had no clue who Clark was until her elite 8 game triple double. I live close to BR and so I know who Reese is and have watched a lot of her games. She does a lot of the you are too small gesture and a lot of other things on the court. She is a phenomenal player. None of the things she did this year did I feel were over the line until she chased Clark around the court at the end of the national championship game and even that I really don't have a huge problem with. I just don't see how people can say what she did at the end of the game is normal trash talk.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I can't find the clip right now, but when she was open on the arc and Clark was the closest defender she didn't close out - which is fine - but instead made a dismissive wave at her. It is okay to not guard someone but I can understand how a player might find the dismissive wave disrespectful. That being said, who cares. I really think Mulkey drummed up a bunch of Clark disrespecting us and the game stuff before the game as a way to motivate her players.
It may have been Mulkey but I got the sense the LSU players were butt hurt about all the media attention that CC was getting in the days leading up to the game, and it played out at the end.

Even before the Championship game I was commenting about ESPN fawning over CC. I seriously doubt if any of them even knew her name before the Final Four.

She stops by to do an interview and all of the sudden she is Michael Jordan, Mother Teresa, and Dwight Eisenhower all rolled into one person. They were gushing about what a tremendous human being and outstanding leader she is. I rarely see her display any leadership during a game. The only time she talks to a teammate is when they screw up. When she walks to the end of the bench there is very little interaction between her and the bench players. If I were LSU I would have been tired of it too.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
If this has been discussed, then please ignore.

All of the media loved CC. She got beat quite handedly.

If I was an LSU player, I would have a giant chip on my shoulder.

I just don't believe the media responds to aggressive black females the way they respond to aggressive white females. Plain as day. And the media thinks they are ground zero for equality. All they did was add fuel to the ongoing fire. And no, Jill wouldn't have invited LSU if Iowa had won.

• Winner

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

Maybe I'm just missing it, but it seems like nobody is considering that the reason neither Reese nor Clark were criticized for their earlier taunting is that relative to Sunday's game, nobody was watching. And those who were watching were almost certainly fans of those teams or WBB and familiar with their stories. Thus, no controversy.

On Sunday you far more casual viewers reacting to something they didn't know the back story on. So of course Angel Reese's taunts are going to get more attention than Clark's, because she had far more eyeballs on her. I've no doubt some of that criticism is race-driven, but a lot of it is just people lacking context.

Keith Olbermann seems like a prime example of this...got way out over his skis then apologized once he got the back story. I suspect a lot of folks are in that boat. People overreact to things on social media all the time and never correct themselves when the learn the back story, if they ever learn it at all.

The Iowa fan base has no leg to stand on here, because they ate it up when Clark did it and - let's be honest - would have eaten it up had she done what Angel Reese did. And I don't pretend ISU fans are any better in this regard - people loved it when Caleb Grill taunted the UT bench. I'm not a fan of that stuff myself.

Reactions: Acylum