Dr. Jill has invited Hawkeye Women to the White House

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen so much trash talking after the game is over. It’s one thing to trash talk on the court, but I feel like this has been going on for days. I haven’t really been following that closely, but this is getting ridiculous. There is obvious some deep anger and hatred toward CC by Reese. Maybe from when she was at Maryland???

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Look, Clark is an incredibly talented player. But she has a flaw in her game.

Whether it's her classic shrug move, her disdainful waving off an opponent who is a poor perimeter shooter, her 'you can't see me' gesture, or her constant complaining to officials, she often shows disrespect to those around her. Some prefer to say she's just competitive, but you don't need to disrespect your opponent to be competitive.

To Clark's credit, when she was served a huge dose of her own medicine in the biggest moment of all, she managed to bite down hard and say all the right things after the game.

If she were able to drop all the disrespect, she would be an even greater player than she is now, and that seems hard to believe.
Would love to see her under BF personally because BF will teach her to cut the cr.p whining at refs, talking trash etc. But I think she is the right place at EIU as I don't think BF will let her do what she has been doing at Iowa State

Reactions: aauummm

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen so much trash talking after the game is over. It’s one thing to trash talk on the court, but I feel like this has been going on for days. I haven’t really been following that closely, but this is getting ridiculous. There is obvious some deep anger and hatred toward CC by Reese. Maybe from when she was at Maryland???
The media needs to stop asking them about it and writing about it. It would go away pretty quickly.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Look how many people are flocking to it. It’s working. If you are media outlets you play the numbers until they wane. Then find the next spectacle.
I don't think Reese wants it to die either. She has tripled her followers on social media. At some point, this is just marketing for her and I can't say I blame her. She will be making a lot more money because of all this.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
The Iowa fan base has no leg to stand on here, because they ate it up when Clark did it and - let's be honest - would have eaten it up had she done what Angel Reese did. And I don't pretend ISU fans are any better in this regard - people loved it when Caleb Grill taunted the UT bench. I'm not a fan of that stuff myself.

I was embarrassed by Caleb Grill’s stupid. No idea why that wasn’t a technical foul.

I am not sure when we became a society where disrespecting others is celebrated but that’s where we are. The racist rantings of Hawk fans all over social media show exactly why it is acceptable for CC and not Reese.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and cyclone13

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I was embarrassed by Caleb Grill’s stupid. No idea why that wasn’t a technical foul.

I am not sure when we became a society where disrespecting others is celebrated but that’s where we are. The racist rantings of Hawk fans all over social media show exactly why it is acceptable for CC and not Reese.

I thought about starting a separate thread to see if anyone wanted to have a thoughtful conversation about why we all celebrate taunting in sports now. I figured I'd get dumbvoted out of existence so I didn't bother.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I don't think Reese wants it to die either. She has tripled her followers on social media. At some point, this is just marketing for her and I can't say I blame her. She will be making a lot more money because of all this.
Agree, I think she has an ego (as does CC clearly) and also sees herself as a symbol of a major societal issue and enjoys the spotlight that brings. Will be interesting to see if she tries to keep it alive when the media outlets stop calling, which they eventually will.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I thought about starting a separate thread to see if anyone wanted to have a thoughtful conversation about why we all celebrate taunting in sports now. I figured I'd get dumbvoted out of existence so I didn't bother.
My husband gets ALL the Catholic publications sent to the house and St. Francis and Dowling are very proud of CC. It’s an extra little annoyance for me. I must have missed catechism class when they covered taunting is cool.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Im not a big fan of taunting. I've come to accept that a small portion has become the accepted norm so I didn't get bent when Grill did it (beyond concern that it would draw a T), didn't get upset about Clark's can't see me followed by a quick side eye to her opponent to make sure she saw it, nor did I care about Reese giving the can't see me back to Clark at the free throw line. When Reese chased Clark around I thought it was over the top and beyond what we should find tolerable even in today's environment. If you are taunting and your opponent chooses to walk away, let them walk away. Don't chase them and try to get in front of them. I agree that it was definitely technical worthy, but I understand why they didn't T her up. Those officials already were getting blasted over that game. Could you imagine how they would have gotten roasted for calling a technical in the last 10 seconds of a 15 point national championship final?

• Agree
Reactions: iahawks and 7Got6

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
The "disrespectful" comment came from two things, CC's hand wave at the gal standing at the 3 point line in the SC game, and crazy, shiny, look-at-me Kim Mulkey looking for something to rile her team up with. I don't like CCs antics, but both the strategy and her hand wave worked.

I'm pretty sure having 3, 6' 5" and over, women crash the boards to get offensive rebounds and put backs over shorter teams when your outside shooters don't hit shots at a high clip is disrespectful, right?

The strategy was dead on and not disrespectful. If we think it was, every team in the big 12 this year "disrespected" out men's team. That's stupid. They figured us out and played to our weaknesses. Just like Iowa played to SCs.

That's not what it's really about.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Maybe I'm just missing it, but it seems like nobody is considering that the reason neither Reese nor Clark were criticized for their earlier taunting is that relative to Sunday's game, nobody was watching. And those who were watching were almost certainly fans of those teams or WBB and familiar with their stories. Thus, no controversy.

On Sunday you far more casual viewers reacting to something they didn't know the back story on. So of course Angel Reese's taunts are going to get more attention than Clark's, because she had far more eyeballs on her. I've no doubt some of that criticism is race-driven, but a lot of it is just people lacking context.

Keith Olbermann seems like a prime example of this...got way out over his skis then apologized once he got the back story. I suspect a lot of folks are in that boat. People overreact to things on social media all the time and never correct themselves when the learn the back story, if they ever learn it at all.

The Iowa fan base has no leg to stand on here, because they ate it up when Clark did it and - let's be honest - would have eaten it up had she done what Angel Reese did. And I don't pretend ISU fans are any better in this regard - people loved it when Caleb Grill taunted the UT bench. I'm not a fan of that stuff myself.

Keith Olbermann is a sad old angry man with mental problems.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Maybe Reese has done it all year, but until the final four, Reese got very little of the national publicity that CC has received. Prior to the final four if you asked people on this board who Angel Reese was 99% of them would have no idea.

That's because 99% of the people on this board don't follow WBB. Being that Clark is in Iowa most of them were kind of forced to this spring.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA

It'd be way more interesting than this thread.

It's because the people playing now don't get as tightly wound up about it as older people, they embrace it as part of the game. This is a good example, neither player took issue with each other about it, just how outsiders have reacted to it.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
It'd be way more interesting than this thread.

It's because the people playing now don't get as tightly wound up about it as older people, they embrace it as part of the game. This is a good example, neither player took issue with each other about it, just how outsiders have reacted to it.

It'd be great if it were confined to the game, but it isn't. This stuff bleeds into the culture. (Or vice versa, or both.) Point is, it's not just about the participants, it's about what society is willing to accept in terms of the way people treat one another.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Chad just isn't going to give up on this, is he:

View attachment 111759
Good lord, Chad.
giphy.gif

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021
Chad just isn't going to give up on this, is he:

View attachment 111759
I don’t feel strongly about the antics either way but the comparisons are comical. If someone shouts something across a bar at you is entirely different than someone getting in your face and stalking you talking smack. But to me, it’s getting dumb how much run that is getting in the storyline.

The only part I struggle with was the officiating was just such sub-standard for a Championship game. I keep hearing every official or crew has an off night and then the media “assumes” this crew earned their way to officiate this game. I’d like someone to produce the metrics that these were the 3 (or close to 3) top officials. Because I can’t see how with as bad as they were, for both sides, they were the best available.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I don’t feel strongly about the antics either way but the comparisons are comical. If someone shouts something across a bar at you is entirely different than someone getting in your face and stalking you talking smack. But to me, it’s getting dumb how much run that is getting in the storyline.

The only part I struggle with was the officiating was just such sub-standard for a Championship game. I keep hearing every official or crew has an off night and then the media “assumes” this crew earned their way to officiate this game. I’d like someone to produce the metrics that these were the 3 (or close to 3) top officials. Because I can’t see how with as bad as they were, for both sides, they were the best available.
How did this game vary from the regular season games? How many college womens game did you watch? This was a normally officiated game.

• Agree
Reactions: kcdc4isu