Most annoying ritual in sports

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Can't wait to get flamed for this but the National Anthem for any non-international event (Olympics). What in the world does a high school football game or a Cubs game have to do with patriotism? I'm there to watch a game, not be embroiled with faux-Patriotism.
I like the playing of the national anthem, not so sure everyone sees it as faux patriotism, but I know that many certainly do.

I agree that it is not AT ALL necessary to play before any sporting event other than international competitions, but it has become as ingrained in the "spectacle" of sports as booing a bad call.

On a side note, even as an alumnus, I think we could ditch the band playing "The Bells of Iowa State" during pregame.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: dosry5 and alarson

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
We can’t flip off the Hawkeyes??

It’s a lot cuter when your 5 year old flips off the Hawkeyes. Maybe just work on that?

But if you don’t have a small child, pay for your food first and make sure to select no tip on the POS machine. Then you can flip them off as you walk away.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
There's an absolutely hilarious gif somewhere of the Buddy Hield era OU team trying to do a floorslap in unison, except Ryan Spangler is seconds behind the other 4
It's hilarious when the Hawks do it because you know there is no defense to back it up. It comes across more as chimps hitting the floor in rage.

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: ISUKyro and cyputz

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I always get a kick out of players celebrating with a 1st down motion or whatever when their team is down like 28 points.
Reminds me of the Ken Trickey era in ISU basketball when we were awful. Herkle Ivy would hit a shot from way outside and then run back with his hand pointing #1 high above his head....and we'd be down by 30.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
The only one that comes to mind is when a defender (NFL) intercepts a pass and then the entire defense runs to the end zone. Like, you've intercepted a pass before, get off the ******* field you look ridiculous.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
DB's celebrating an incomplete pass after the QB threw it 10 yards away from the receiver
This is one of my "old man yells at cloud" moments...

The celebrating in all sports is so over the top. People make a basic play and its cause for celebration dances. Get back to the huddle and do your job. Or situations where the team screws up, but a "big" thing happens at the end. Defense gives up a 20 yd run, but the LB made a HUGE hit to make the tackle. Everyone celebrate!

For the record, I am fine with staring at home runs, TD dances, celebrations after a big play on defense, etc. It's the celebrating after doing the basic things that drive me crazy.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
Fair. I meant to say I just want the rules to be more fair. If the OL has to be stationary, than the DL should have to be. If the DL can move but has an option to reset, the OL should too.

I like the playing of the national anthem, not so sure everyone sees it as faux patriotism, but I know that many certainly do.

I agree that it is not AT ALL necessary to play before any sporting event other than international competitions, but it has become as ingrained in the "spectacle" of sports as booing a bad call.

On a side note, even as an alumnus, I think we could ditch the band playing "The Bells of Iowa State" during pregame.
Maybe we should demand pregame playing of all possible allegiance songs--nation, state, city, university, and so on. If we're gonna indoctrinate, let's go all in.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
14,567 step handshakes in softball. Then watching a ground ball go right between the 2nd baseman’s legs. Maybe should’ve worked on that instead of the handshake.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Every Texas team having some sort of stupid hand sign like the Bear Claw, Horns, Whatever that TCU thing is, Texas Tech guns thingy. Like why do Texas teams have to do hand signs.

It was largely a SWC tradition, which is why the former SWC schools seem to be the ones that do it.