Most annoying ritual in sports

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Fair. I meant to say I just want the rules to be more fair. If the OL has to be stationary, than the DL should have to be. If the DL can move but has an option to reset, the OL should too.
Allow it and you are going to create havoc all across the line, the moment an OL reset the defender is going to move into the neural zone causing a penalty to occur and force the refs to sort it out.

Reactions: Jer

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
How about players not wearing their mouth piece. Holy crap, enforce the rule or get rid of it. Same with knee pads.
Last night one of the Lions players had one attached to the outside top of his helmet. Green mouthpiece on a gray helmet. Total garbage.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: NWICY

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
When did it become a thing to trot around in the dugout with a trident or a samurai helmet or, gawd forbid, a powdered wig after you hit a home run? It has to be one of the silliest, newest, most annoying rituals in sports, right up there with the log chains, axes, title belts defenders run and grab after a securing a turnover in football.

I also hate fun. How dare they.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
There's an absolutely hilarious gif somewhere of the Buddy Hield era OU team trying to do a floorslap in unison, except Ryan Spangler is seconds behind the other 4

The OU floor slap before ISU came back to beat them in Hilton. My favorite floor slap ever. Down big at half and made the come back another great Hilton memory.

• Love
Reactions: ISUalways and Bader

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I have to add Iowa MBB having Equality on the back of their jerseys after losing multiple racial discrimination suits and having the whitest team in the nation every year (well maybe behind Wisconsin).

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
I also hate fun. How dare they.
Yeah, the baseball home run dugout celebrations are fun, and I like that they try to tie in the headgear/whatever to something with the team or the city.

What I get a kick out of is the DBs who stomp their feet while enthusiastically celebrating by making the “incomplete“ signal - after they got torched by the receiver who ended up dropping the wide-open pass. Lol.

Reactions: Cyclones8824

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Can't wait to get flamed for this but the National Anthem for any non-international event (Olympics). What in the world does a high school football game or a Cubs game have to do with patriotism? I'm there to watch a game, not be embroiled with faux-Patriotism.

Completely agreed.

Even aside from what you mentioned, it is such a buzzkill on things. Like, a game naturally has a buildup of hype going into it, the music and the crowd gets going, the place is rocking and then we halt all that momentum going into things with the national anthem. Especially worse when its some singer that feels the need to draw it out- its supposed to be a cheerful song, not a dirge.

Reactions: ZRF

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Completely agreed.

Even aside from what you mentioned, it is such a buzzkill on things. Like, a game naturally has a buildup of hype going into it, the music and the crowd gets going, the place is rocking and then we halt all that momentum going into things with the national anthem. Especially worse when its some singer that feels the need to draw it out- its supposed to be a cheerful song, not a dirge.
This made me instantly think of this clip, there was a fight before the game and the ref was pissed.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: cyclones500

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Televised games at and they have the microphone by the band. Hear the same song all game.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
ISU plays The Bells of Iowa State at the worst time of the football pregame. Either play it after a W like in basketball or don’t play it at all. Plus the band lining up as the campanile looks like a penis.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
ISU plays The Bells of Iowa State at the worst time of the football pregame. Either play it after a W like in basketball or don’t play it at all. Plus the band lining up as the campanile looks like a penis.

Why not just play it after every game regardless of outcome?

A 'no matter what we're all here together' kind of thing.

Reactions: huntt26 and NWICY

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Why not just play it after every game regardless of outcome?

A 'no matter what we're all here together' kind of thing.

Sure that’s fine now that you mention it, I think basketball does it like that. It’s just such a buzz kill before the football games.

Reactions: cstrunk and Jer

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Sure that’s fine now that you mention it, I think basketball does it like that. It’s just such a buzz kill before the football games.
Yep. Everything football pregame except the 'Cyclone Weather Alert' sounder & video needs to be changed or tweaked.