Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I wouldn't say I really enjoyed it. I'd say it's a good time at the movies. It's kind of like the first Ant-Man, although I'd say Ant-Man was a lot better. It's not really significant in any way, you laugh at some jokes, you have a good time with the characters and it doesn't have to be more than that. It's not 30 minutes too long like the recent installments, etc. It's a tight like hour and 35/40 minutes of actual runtime. Our showing started at 5:30 and I was home by 7:15.

I'll say I don't have any problem with the people that don't like it either. Again, Brie Larson absolutely phoned it in. This is a woman who won an Oscar and there is a scene where she has to deliver this speech where she's showing emotion and it's literally just bad. I forgot who Spectrum was and where I'd seen her, and about halfway through the movie I remembered she was in WandaVision which is a show I didn't like so I had no emotional investment in that character. There was some stuff that just didn't make sense.

I will say I think critics are tired of Marvel stans too. I love Marvel at it's height. I was in a hotel a lot this weekend and basically TBS/FX just run Marvel movies all weekend so I watched some old ones. I'll defend those phase 2/3 movies forever. But I don't have a lot of patience with people who feel the need to go to bat for overstuffed, boring, and stupid stuff in phase 4/5.

But people need to call a spade a spade, and this is a perfectly good time at the movie theater.

Take "really" as "actually." I generally haven't heard anybody that didn't enjoy it. Otherwise, I'm mostly referring to the giddiness people have had for a while to dump on this one.

I'm probably still a couple weeks out from seeing it, but it seems like something I'll like.

On the stans, yeah, that's been old for a while. I think I've watched all the phase 4 movies, but I don't remember, and I don't really keep track or mark down when they're coming out anymore. That had to be expected in general after Endgame (which would have been an awfully good place to stop, with the exception of Spidey).

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
(Non-Spoiler Thoughts) Finally saw The Marvels last night and thought I'd start by framing my mindset going in. Captain Marvel is possibly last on my MCU ranking list, and I have not been the biggest fan of Brie Larson's wooden performance in her role. So, I wasn't exactly looking forward to this movie, even though I generally liked (outside of the ending) the Ms. Marvel series on Disney Plus. I also thought the trailers for this move were bad. With that said, these are my thoughts:

-This movie is a bit of a confusing, conjobbled narrative mess with a forgettable villain, even though I thought the framing of the villain's motives was alright
-I had way more fun with this movie than I expected, with the interplay between the three main characters being by far the best part of this movie
-Iman Vellani 100% steals the show in this movie and she is even better in this than she was in her own series
-The way Ms. Marvel uses her powers in this movie is so cool and much improved from her TV series, which works because she has had time to perfect them
-70% of the time Brie Larson was doing the same poor wooden performance we saw in the first movie, but I will admit that there was other times I found her acting much improved
-There is a unique way the movie de-powers the over-powered Captain Marvel character that works and makes the movie and action much more enjoyable
-This movie takes a couple big leaps into the silly which likely will work or not work for some people, and they both surprisingly worked for me
-While the story for the first Captain Marvel might have been tighter and a bit better, this movie was wwwaaayyy more fun and an enjoyable experience
-I thought the costume change later in the movie for all the characters was a major downgrade, except for Photon's change
-Loved how short and sweet the run-time for this movie was even though it added to the conjobbled chopped-up narrative feel
-Ms Marvel's family is great as always in this film
-This movie easily surpassed my expectations, but again, I had pretty low expectations coming in
-The Mid-Credits scene for this movie was way cool

Anyway, those are my thoughts and like someone else said, the fun of this movie somewhat reminds me of my experience with the first Ant-Man movie. I'd say the writing on the first Ant-Man was better than this movie, but it was the fun factor you really take away from both the movies. Lastly, its a bit validating that everyone on here are echoing pretty much all my same sentiments.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cytasticlone

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I'm usually more forgiving of these projects, and can generally be positive about them as long as I'm entertained. To date, the only things post Endgame that I can honestly say did not entertain me have been Quantumania and Secret Invasion. Both of those projects were slogs to get through. Falcon and Winter Soldier is close to that list, but there were just enough there with some of the performances that saves it from being a total waste of time.

Everything else, I'm glad to have watched at least once even if only a few (Loki, Werewolf by Night, Spider-man) make it to the re-watch level.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I'm usually more forgiving of these projects, and can generally be positive about them as long as I'm entertained. To date, the only things post Endgame that I can honestly say did not entertain me have been Quantumania and Secret Invasion. Both of those projects were slogs to get through. Falcon and Winter Soldier is close to that list, but there were just enough there with some of the performances that saves it from being a total waste of time.

Everything else, I'm glad to have watched at least once even if only a few (Loki, Werewolf by Night, Spider-man) make it to the re-watch level.

Moon-Knight was always pretty bad for me

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
(Non-Spoiler Thoughts) I didn't just watch The Marvels yesterday, but also finally finished Loki S2, which I liked very much. I thought it was consistently better than S1, which I thought had its ups and downs with some high highs and some low lows. For those that didn't like Victor Timely, I absolutely loved him and have thought Majors has been nothing short of spectacular in playing all the Kang variants in the MCU, which is why I'm so sad to hear about all his personal problems. Was the finale for S2 as good as it was for S1? Naw, probably not, but I found the ending still fairly satisfying.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Ugh, the Madame Web trailer dropped. I dunno about that one....

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Ugh, the Madame Web trailer dropped. I dunno about that one....

I actually thought it was quite intriguing. While this movie was one I was NOT interested in when it was announced, after later hearing the rumored premise of the movie on the inter-webs, I pulled a complete 180 and am very interested in the movie now. I will admit its tough to tell by this trailer whether the rumored premise of the movie is true or untrue at this point. I hope it is still true.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Will see how it plays out, but so far Sonys ventures outside of Spiderman proper, have been average.

• Agree
Reactions: Triggermv

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
I actually thought it was quite intriguing. While this movie was one I was NOT interested in when it was announced, after later hearing the rumored premise of the movie on the inter-webs, I pulled a complete 180 and am very interested in the movie now. I will admit its tough to tell by this trailer whether the rumored premise of the movie is true or untrue at this point. I hope it is still true.

What is the rumored premise that changed your mind? Please put it under a spoiler tag if you think necessary.

Reactions: Cyclonsin

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Will see how it plays out, but so far Sonys ventures outside of Spiderman proper, have been average.

I won’t see any Sony super hero stuff unless it’s got actual great reviews. I think it’s really bad for the most part.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
What is the rumored premise that changed your mind? Please put it under a spoiler tag if you think necessary.

After some google research, here is the closest link I could find to saying some of the stuff I remember. Don't click on it if you don't want any spoilers at all. However, I don't even find it that spoilery, as it isn't anything more than a general plot premise.

• Informative
Reactions: CycloneErik

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
After some google research, here is the closest link I could find to saying some of the stuff I remember. Don't click on it if you don't want any spoilers at all. However, I don't even find it that spoilery, as it isn't anything more than a general plot premise.

Thanks, I personally am not worried about spoilers. I just didn't want there to be any spoilers in the open for others who might not want to be exposed to it.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006

With all the turmoil, I'm starting to wonder if Marvel Studios eventually just drops The Kang Dynasty. Unlike others, I've loved Kang's role in the MCU so far, so I hope they don't.
i like Kang as a villain but I think they’ve botched this so far. He’s a far more terrifying villain and so far it’s been silly with no real roadmap. Majors does a good job but the writing has been subpar. Outside of Loki anyway.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Pedro Pascal rumor as Reed for Fantastic Four would be a helluva choice...and I'm not even a Marvel fan. But my better half is all about it.

Help Support Us

Become a patron