***#8 Iowa State vs #4 Iowa (Sunday, 2:00)***

clone2024

Dec 30, 2021
In regard to Gaitan match I thought coaches were telling him to keep PK down until riding time went below 1 min (it was close) then cut and score but Gaitan didn’t hear/listen. If he cuts right away he would’ve been down two then riding time so it would’ve been tied anyway with a takedown? Still would’ve been better going to OT anyway

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
In regard to Gaitan match I thought coaches were telling him to keep PK down until riding time went below 1 min (it was close) then cut and score but Gaitan didn’t hear/listen. If he cuts right away he would’ve been down two then riding time so it would’ve been tied anyway with a takedown? Still would’ve been better going to OT anyway
This is what I thought was going on , I had my eye on the riding time and was trying to decide if it was better to get rid of that or just cut him and go for OT

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
There was a 6 second difference. So he would have had 5 seconds to release him and secure a full takedown. Remeber, chittum needed 2 seconds to not deal with reaction time. So that basically means he has 3 seconds to cut and take down. The only option was to cut and take down and hope you get a quick one or at least get it to OT and take on a gassed out PK.

NEIACyclone

Oct 25, 2012
Hey I finally calmed down to re watch some matches. I have to say with more confidence that Echemendia scored. Chittum I’m not sure, could have gone either way but we were in line for a makeup call after screwing us at 141.

One thing that really hasn’t been talked about and in the grand scheme wouldn’t have mattered but may have generated more momentum, I’m not so sure David didn’t score to get a tech right at the end.
Where can we Re-watch? TIA

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Been on vacation the last two days and haven't had a chance to comment. I haven't read the thread all the way through so forgive me if I repeat some things that have already been said.

Despite ISU coming up short, I enjoyed it. Iowa fans are saying this is the weakest team fielded by Iowa ever. So what?

Not much difference between the two teams from what I saw. The upset late that gave Iowa the cushion it needed was disappointing.

The two matches that came down to the final seconds that went Iowa's way made more of a difference in my opinion, but I am not a expert -- just an observation on my end.

Unfortunately I did not pick our seats wisely. I was surrounded by Iowa fans who 10 seconds into each match were hollering "Stalling" against the Iowa State wrestlers. That and some other things were annoying but nothing too terrible.

I took my great-nephew along who said he and his grandpa on his dad's side came up for ISU wrestling matches all the time. He loved it. My brother also came along and he has NEVER seen a wrestling match. He could not quite figure out what was going on. He enjoyed the atmosphere, though.

Hopefully I can make it back to a wrestling meet this season at Hilton. It was a great experience even if it was a disappointing outcome.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Been on vacation the last two days and haven't had a chance to comment. I haven't read the thread all the way through so forgive me if I repeat some things that have already been said.

Despite ISU coming up short, I enjoyed it. Iowa fans are saying this is the weakest team fielded by Iowa ever. So what?

Not much difference between the two teams from what I saw. The upset late that gave Iowa the cushion it needed was disappointing.

The two matches that came down to the final seconds that went Iowa's way made more of a difference in my opinion, but I am not a expert -- just an observation on my end.

Unfortunately I did not pick our seats wisely. I was surrounded by Iowa fans who 10 seconds into each match were hollering "Stalling" against the Iowa State wrestlers. That and some other things were annoying but nothing too terrible.

I took my great-nephew along who said he and his grandpa on his dad's side came up for ISU wrestling matches all the time. He loved it. My brother also came along and he has NEVER seen a wrestling match. He could not quite figure out what was going on. He enjoyed the atmosphere, though.

Hopefully I can make it back to a wrestling meet this season at Hilton. It was a great experience even if it was a disappointing outcome.
LOL, they were trying to cover their rears. They went out and bought several hole pluggers. They had a hole at heavyweight, but outside of that, they were better after the gambling issues than before with what they were able to put out there.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
LOL, they were trying to cover their rears. They went out and bought several hole pluggers. They had a hole at heavyweight, but outside of that, they were better after the gambling issues than before with what they were able to put out there.
This. @Cyrocks do not buy that line from them. At all. Iowa wrestling fans are notoriously some of the dumbest, irrational fans you will ever meet.

cywr89

May 14, 2009
My understanding there were 13 official recruits including Larkin (2024), Rutledge, Lockett, Henckel and the Cortez twins. I believe there was another 20+ unofficial recruits which were mostly Iowa kids. Saw Helgeson but that was it.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Yeah I love how this is conveniently forgotten.

Cassioppi is a massive hole, but the middle of that line up before suspensions/transfers vs actual...

149 - Rathjen --> Voinovich
157 - Siebrecht --> Franek
165 - Kennedy --> Caliendo
174 - Brands --> Kennedy
184 - Assad --> Arnold

That's pretty significant upgrades at the first three weights, about a wash at 174 once Kennedy is fully healthy and upgrade at 184 although I dont think Arnold is actually going to wrestle 184 outside this one dual.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
This. @Cyrocks do not buy that line from them. At all. Iowa wrestling fans are notoriously some of the dumbest, irrational fans you will ever meet.
Like I said, I don't follow it as much as I like, but it sure seemed odd that in almost every weight class -- especially early weights -- Iowa had more and higher ranked wrestlers than Iowa State.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Or, maybe Iowa State is just better.

In terms of rankings prior to the meet, it was 6/4 Iowa (133, 141, 149, 157, 174, 197) based on Intermat.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyrocks

crooksie_26

Mar 24, 2006
Yeah I love how this is conveniently forgotten.

Cassioppi is a massive hole, but the middle of that line up before suspensions/transfers vs actual...

149 - Rathjen --> Voinovich
157 - Siebrecht --> Franek
165 - Kennedy --> Caliendo
174 - Brands --> Kennedy
184 - Assad --> Arnold

That's pretty significant upgrades at the first three weights, about a wash at 174 once Kennedy is fully healthy and upgrade at 184 although I dont think Arnold is actually going to wrestle 184 outside this one dual.
I agree with 100%. Really the only really big loss for them was Cass, and I'm not so sure Yonger doesn't beat him.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015

IMO even though a win would be nice the only real (major) disappointment was how Feldkamp wrestled and that Gaitan didn't do a very good job of knowing his situation at the end (where he should have cut him). Of the two Feldkamp was the biggest as he did absolutely nothing for 7 minutes. Totally unimpressive.

Outside of that Frost looked great, Swid looked much more aggressive than last year (also healthy). I guess Broderson was a slight disappointment though I wasn't particularly surprised. Iowa was weaker than usual but they match up pretty well with us as a dual team. In generally they had more slight advantages while the matches we won the differences were quite substantial.

We need more out of Feldkamp. If that's the best he has I find that disappointing (though I think Arnold will be a stud).

Reactions: crooksie_26

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
IMO even though a win would be nice the only real (major) disappointment was how Feldkamp wrestled and that Gaitan didn't do a very good job of knowing his situation at the end (where he should have cut him). Of the two Feldkamp was the biggest as he did absolutely nothing for 7 minutes. Totally unimpressive.

Outside of that Frost looked great, Swid looked much more aggressive than last year (also healthy). I guess Broderson was a slight disappointment though I wasn't particularly surprised. Iowa was weaker than usual but they match up pretty well with us as a dual team. In generally they had more slight advantages while the matches we won the differences were quite substantial.

We need more out of Feldkamp. If that's the best he has I find that disappointing (though I think Arnold will be a stud).
Feldkamp came out of nowhere to AA last year.

I still hope and think he AA’s but he has quite a few rough losses in the past.

Reactions: ZRF

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Feldkamp came out of nowhere to AA last year.

I still hope and think he AA’s but he has quite a few rough losses in the past.

I will be honest, I hadn't seen him wrestle enough to go off of much more than the AA performance and the ranking.

In looking at some results as well as thinking about what I saw on Sunday it seems like he almost exclusively likes to score off of upper body setups and when he hits them he gets a lot of pins and potential 5 point moves. On the flip side his style opens him up to better athletes that have an ability to get to his legs, especially if they can shuck his ties and prevent the trips, body locks, and throws he seemingly wants to execute from ties/an upright position.

Might be a case of a guy who has dispapointing regular season results but does better in tournaments, possibly from lack of fatigue (as he's not overly aggressive/active). I'm sure 80% of the posters on here (if not more) have seen him wrestle more than I have and would have better opinions on it. Naively I was probably expecting to see more than I did and it's likely it wasn't realistic.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Or, maybe Iowa State is just better.

In terms of rankings prior to the meet, it was 6/4 Iowa (133, 141, 149, 157, 174, 197) based on Intermat.
I definitely think Iowa State is the better team. That’s part of why I’m as frustrated as I am with how it went down. We got screwed in two matches and were just awful in two others.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames

We usually have a couple of GA tix if you need a place to sit :)

• Agree
Reactions: Cyrocks