***#8 Iowa State vs #4 Iowa (Sunday, 2:00)***

iastatefan1

Jan 24, 2016
I definitely think Iowa State is the better team. That’s part of why I’m as frustrated as I am with how it went down. We got screwed in two matches and were just awful in two others.
Hard to say, in duals we just lost so not sure you can say that. In tournament scoring you need several high placers to do well,7-8 don't score many points. We have only 1 guy we know for sure will be a high placer. We have a lot of solid guys to win duals, but need few more high ncaa placements. Seems like ech, swid, chit, feldkamp, yonger all could, but many are young or unproven in folkstyle.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Hard to say, in duals we just lost so not sure you can say that. In tournament scoring you need several high placers to do well,7-8 don't score many points. We have only 1 guy we know for sure will be a high placer. We have a lot of solid guys to win duals, but need few more high ncaa placements. Seems like ech, swid, chit, feldkamp, yonger all could, but many are young or unproven in folkstyle.
Meant dual wise. We lost by 4 and should have really won two matches so split that at a six point swing. We also had no effort from 184 or 197 which could have been another swing. We wrestled poorly and only lost by 4.

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
Lot of comments on Feldkamp. I’d like to add that Arnold is 5’7” of solid muscle. He literally stuck his forhead into Will’s chest for 5 mins. And oh BTW, he’s really freaking good.

I’m not reading anything into Feldkamps potential this year based on that match. Arnold is going to beat a lot older higher ranked kids this year.

4theheckofit

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2013
I can already tell you that Arnold is going to be the most annoying iowa wrestler to watch the next four years. Will get one takedown and coast because he's almost impossible to score on with his build. I'd imagine 95% of his college matches are going to end in the 4-2,5-3 range.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I can already tell you that Arnold is going to be the most annoying iowa wrestler to watch the next four years. Will get one takedown and coast because he's almost impossible to score on with his build. I'd imagine 95% of his college matches are going to end in the 4-2,5-3 range.
Too bad Paniro wasn’t taller, you would basically just call it after the first takedown.

• Haha
Reactions: 4theheckofit

crooksie_26

Mar 24, 2006
I think Feldkamp should be fine this year, but i wouldn't have minded if we put Tate out there against Arnold, there matches last year were epic. Tate was right there with him, just lost scrambles.

Reactions: 4theheckofit

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Lot of comments on Feldkamp. I’d like to add that Arnold is 5’7” of solid muscle. He literally stuck his forhead into Will’s chest for 5 mins. And oh BTW, he’s really freaking good.

I’m not reading anything into Feldkamps potential this year based on that match. Arnold is going to beat a lot older higher ranked kids this year.

Arnold is going to be a stud, no question about it (might be Iowa's best wrestler by the end of the season).

The reason Arnold was able to do that was because Feldkamp kept trying to tie him up, stand up vertically, and either trip, body lock, or look for a throw. Pretty early on it seemed evident Arnold was too good/strong/compact for that to be an effective strategy, especially once he got down.

Feldkamp didn't even really attempt a shot the entire match. Granted it's one match but if he can't or isn't willing to change levels or strategy I think he will have a tough regular season against stiffer competition. At the very least I wanted to see him show some urgency and change strategy when the match and opponent dictated his primary one was ineffective. Instead we saw a wreslter do absolutely nothing for 7 minutes.

Personally I thought that match was (easily) the low point of the match. It wasn't particularly close.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone Pfan

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Arnold is going to be a stud, no question about it (might be Iowa's best wrestler by the end of the season).

The reason Arnold was able to do that was because Feldkamp kept trying to tie him up, stand up vertically, and either trip, body lock, or look for a throw. Pretty early on it seemed evident Arnold was too good/strong/compact for that to be an effective strategy, especially once he got down.

Feldkamp didn't even really attempt a shot the entire match. Granted it's one match but if he can't or isn't willing to change levels or strategy I think he will have a tough regular season against stiffer competition. At the very least I wanted to see him show some urgency and change strategy when the match and opponent dictated his primary one was ineffective. Instead we saw a wreslter do absolutely nothing for 7 minutes.

Personally I thought that match was (easily) the low point of the match. It wasn't particularly close.
Feldcamp likes overhooks. Short compact wrestlers it isn’t good on. We should have wrestled feldcamp at 97 and someone else at 84.

Cy Guy69

Nov 2, 2023
Listening to the cf wrestling pod, and they’re talking about the Ech woods match. So I get dresser don’t believe in challenges apparently but even if it would t have been overturned, it would have let Ech catch his breath. He was way more gassed than woods, which is why he got an easy takedown to win.

Desser just made too many mistakes

Stevetasker

Jun 25, 2011
Listening to the cf wrestling pod, and they’re talking about the Ech woods match. So I get dresser don’t believe in challenges apparently but even if it would t have been overturned, it would have let Ech catch his breath. He was way more gassed than woods, which is why he got an easy takedown to win.

Desser just made too many mistakes
From our seats I thought AE wasn’t as gassed as Woods. Thought Woods had a very heady early attack to get it over. AE still had a chance to defend until he stepped over. Haven’t rewatched it, just how I remember things.

• Agree
Reactions: jkbuff98

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Feldcamp likes overhooks. Short compact wrestlers it isn’t good on. We should have wrestled feldcamp at 97 and someone else at 84.

As much as I hate to say it, I have to give Brands credit for the adjustments in his lineup. Arnold was a really good opponent for Feldcamp. I'm intrigued about the possibilities of what Dresser might have done with his lineup.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: BCClone

Stevetasker

Jun 25, 2011
As much as hate to say it, I have to give Brands credit for the adjustments in his lineup. Arnold was a really good opponent for Feldcamp. I'm intrigued about the possibilities of what Dresser might have done with his lineup.
Would be interesting to know if Swafford doesn’t get pinched, does Arnold go 74,84 or not at all? Kennedy clearly wasn’t in fighting shape yet.

CyDawg23

Nov 13, 2017
From our seats I thought AE wasn’t as gassed as Woods. Thought Woods had a very heady early attack to get it over. AE still had a chance to defend until he stepped over. Haven’t rewatched it, just how I remember things.
I recommend you rewatch the entire dual (not specifically re: AE being tired or not). I walked out of Hilton dejected cuz we lost by 4. Then I rewatched the broadcast and got re-excited about this team. There were missed details by our wrestlers and coaches that are teachable moments that can be fixed with humility) and some missed calls by officials that theoretically should equal out). I don’t feel like “oh we’re so close to beating Iowa,” but rather “oh we’re so close to being top 5 again.” But, in full disclosure, I had a couple ‘sodas’ during the rewatch.

On to Vegas!

iastatefan1

Jan 24, 2016
Easy to say in hindsight, but I still think you trust your senior all American to beat a true freshman bumping up a weight. To me that's not necessarily on the coaches, but the wrestler. I could see that duals feldkamp losing to Glazier so even that lineup move isn't foolproof.

hiltonisheaven

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Meant dual wise. We lost by 4 and should have really won two matches so split that at a six point swing. We also had no effort from 184 or 197 which could have been another swing. We wrestled poorly and only lost by 4.
Super disappointing effort from 125, 184, 197. 125 & 197 have been the same no-offense, scared to shoot, close losses for 4+ years. We already know who they are and they haven’t developed any offense at all. We heard all offseason about the depth of the room. Let’s see the others in the room cause those guys aren’t going to get us to a top-5 finish.

• Dislike
Reactions: matclone

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Super disappointing effort from 125, 184, 197. 125 & 197 have been the same no-offense, scared to shoot, close losses for 4+ years. We already know who they are and they haven’t developed any offense at all. We heard all offseason about the depth of the room. Let’s see the others in the room cause those guys aren’t going to get us to a top-5 finish.
Perryman will get better but he got teched by Tanner Jordan at Daktronics.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron