***#8 Iowa State vs #4 Iowa (Sunday, 2:00)***

Stevetasker

Jun 25, 2011
Arnold said he is not going 184. Not sure why he weighed in at 182 though
I read that as well. What I wonder is, would Brands have stuck with Swafford at 84 & Arnold at 74 for that dual. I was pretty confident in ISU taking 84 with possible bonus points in a Feldcamp/Swafford matchup. Probably would have been closer than I thought though.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
\
Arnold said he is not going 184. Not sure why he weighed in at 182 though
From my understanding he was already on the way down to 74 until a day out from the dual when the coaches came to him and said he was going 84.

• Agree
Reactions: matclone

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Super disappointing effort from 125, 184, 197. 125 & 197 have been the same no-offense, scared to shoot, close losses for 4+ years. We already know who they are and they haven’t developed any offense at all. We heard all offseason about the depth of the room. Let’s see the others in the room cause those guys aren’t going to get us to a top-5 finish.
At this point, Kysen is our best 125 in the room. Perryman hasn't shown anything this year to prove he is better than Kysen, and Kysen did just major a top 10 ranked former AA against Wisconsin. Ayala is very long and tough, and while Kysen should've opened up a bit more, I am not overly surprised in the result.

Agree that I'd like to see what else we have at 197, but I will give Julien this weekend to prove me wrong and see if he can perform well in Vegas.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
At this point, Kysen is our best 125 in the room. Perryman hasn't shown anything this year to prove he is better than Kysen, and Kysen did just major a top 10 ranked former AA against Wisconsin. Ayala is very long and tough, and while Kysen should've opened up a bit more, I am not overly surprised in the result.

Agree that I'd like to see what else we have at 197, but I will give Julien this weekend to prove me wrong and see if he can perform well in Vegas.
Basically where I am at as well.

People are writing Kysen off after that Ayala match, but Ayala could very well be a top 5 guy come March.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I’m not sure if it’s been said yet and I haven’t read all 800 posts.. but worth noting that under the old rules Gaitan would’ve been tied 10 to 10 and went to OT and Feldkamp would’ve been 2 to 2 and gone to OT.

Wow. I hadn't even thought about that. My assumption was that the new rules would be in our favor. :explode:

Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
We know what we have in Kysen. And as others have said there is no one in the room that can challenge him. Each year he seems to start strong and fade. Now whether that is from injuries or making weight all season… doesn’t really matter. What needs to happen is the coaches need to make sure that he peaks in March. If that means sitting out some duals and going with Perryman, I’m all for it.

I am of the opinion the goal for this team should be 5 AAs. For that to happen things have to align. The entire season needs to be based upon building seeds come March. We have to stay healthy so we aren‘t scrambling at the end of the year to get matches only to do into the draw pool. It’s not impossible to AA from the draw but it is unlikely.

We have 3 different tiers. True contenders: Carr, Younger and Feldkemp. They all have done it before. We then have the “fringe“ wrestlers that, at this time, will be in the middle of the rankings: Casey, Ech, Cody, Kysen.

Then we have guys that have to prove they belong; MJ, Frost. (Maybe they move up throughout the year… but for now they are still unproven)

So out of that the coaches need to put this team in a position to be seeded and peaking at the right time. KD is a bit old school (and i like it for the most part) that if you can go… you wrestle. I hope there is some consideration for perhaps resting guys against lesser competition whether that is a break in cutting weight or a mental break whatever the case may be. For us to reach our max. potential we need to gain those end of year seeds and be physically prepared to wrestle our best end of year. I love winning duals but this team needs to be more focused on NCAA success.

Despite losing to Iowa i still love what i saw from this team overall. The conditioning. The agressiveness. The reattacks from breaks. We have the pieces to make some noise this year but it’s going to take some adjustments from KD and staff to get us there.

If KD can coax out 5 AAs from this bunch it will be a wildly successful year regardless of where that places us in the Top 10, imo.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
This is year 4 for Kysen. A true freshman year, a pretty good RS freshman year, injuries last year, and just starting this season. I don’t think it’s fair to be too hard on him. He’s a really good wrestler with a lot of talent and skill. I don’t know if it was a weight cut issue or he got lost in the moment with the bright lights, but he shelled up against Ayala. I look forward to a good year still. I liked what I saw against Barnett

cywr89

May 14, 2009
I read that as well. What I wonder is, would Brands have stuck with Swafford at 84 & Arnold at 74 for that dual. I was pretty confident in ISU taking 84 with possible bonus points in a Feldcamp/Swafford matchup. Probably would have been closer than I thought though.
My understanding is Swafford may not still be on the team which may have impacted Iowa’s decisions.

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
I feel like Kysen has loads of ability and has a great chance to AA, but he needs to get out of his own way.
When he wrestles free, he's great. When he's afraid to lose, afraid to even give up any points, takes tentative shots and just ties up the whole time time, he's no good.
The way I see it, it's a between-the-ears problem.

CyCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2014
West Des Moines
I personally think Ayala could be a Saturday night wrestler in March. 125 is pretty weak and if he can stay healthy, he's as good as anyone at the weight
The odds of him staying healthy are pretty slim. 125 is wide open though.

G-imJustafan

Sep 9, 2022
The odds of him staying healthy are pretty slim. 125 is wide open though.
Gallagher from Penn gave him all he could handle / agree 125 is wide open

what is going on with 125 AA Ventresca of VT - think he is 2-7 on the year
given up a bunch of major dec

• Agree
Reactions: CyCity

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa

Ventresca is an interesting one. Not sure if it is weight cut or what.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa

He also was like the 27 seed going into nationals and had a decent tournament but these are his match scores from ACC’s and Nationals.
3-2, 3-1, 4-2, 3-2, 3-1, 3-1, 4-2, 7-6. He does a lot of standing around and eventually that will catch up once there is a little film out there to pay attention to. Outside of the 13 point match all the others are 4 to 6 total points

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
It doesn’t help he looks like a toothpick while some of these guys look like they know where the weigh room is. Personally I think Ayala should’ve grown into 133 rather than hold 125 over the last year off

Reactions: Tigerguy_