**** WBB: Game Thread - Cyclones host #4 Iowa Wednesday 6:00 pm ESPN2 ****

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Yep, Bill even said as much in the postgame. Martin was the one who made the difference.

Counting the Big Ten tournament and the NCAA's I guess I saw a bit of Iowa at their peak last year. Each time Marshall had a wide open look tonight I though they were going in and she bricked them all.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I don't officiate college games, but I would LOVE to work just one of her games. I would give her something to complain about just by calling the game by the rules.

Like clapping sarcastically at the ref after the travel call. He looked right at her and did nothing.

Reactions: WartburgClone

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Like clapping sarcastically at the ref after the travel call. He looked right at her and did nothing.
The announcer seemingly indicated there was justification to T up Griswold's daughter. That is a bridge too far to be that REF (death threats) to Call a T when needed.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Nice game by the women and kudos to the ISU crowd. We went toe to toe with a veteran winning squad and acquitted ourselves well - bright future , assuming we can keep this group together. We’re seeing glimpses from Jalynn Bristow now - I think she’s the difference-maker once she gets comfortable! Go State!

GotHops32

Nov 16, 2013
Wouldn't be so annoyed by criticism of the coaches when we lose if the same people complemented the coaches when we win.
So your response to people who are critical of the coaches is... to be critical of them (the irony!)...

Kudos to the coaches and the players for a well coached and played game for the first 35 min AND the coaching in the last 5 min did not put our players in best position to succeed and the outcome reflected that.

I played college bb, coached HS and AAU and at the ISU BB Camp. Had we won the coaches would have earned my compliment. Tonight they didn't.

Reactions: ICCYFAN

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Nice game by the women and kudos to the ISU crowd. We went toe to toe with a veteran winning squad and acquitted ourselves well - bright future , assuming we can keep this group together. We’re seeing glimpses from Jalynn Bristow now - I think she’s the difference-maker once she gets comfortable! Go State!
Bristow is the one I was most excited to land. A&A might break out sooner, but I think Jaylnn might have the highest ceiling. I have to admit, Audi's personality has won me over big time. She is just infectious with spirit and attitude. Addy's consistency has been the most impressive. Man, I love the future of this program.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
First, I was sitting a few people down from a guy that looked like Dickie Bennet from Justified, and he was wearing a Connie McCaffery jersey. Seriously.

The only thing more offensive tonight were ISUs inbounds plays from the sideline. Seriously, those were God awful.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Counting the Big Ten tournament and the NCAA's I guess I saw a bit of Iowa at their peak last year. Each time Marshall had a wide open look tonight I though they were going in and she bricked them all.
Marshall is one of those role players people want to talk up, but she isn’t that good. Martin is probably their one player that could be really good in any situation.

Reactions: peatyscotch

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Just got home and posting thoughts before reading through the thread.

I'll glad eat some crow on the attendance. That was a legit sellout crowd and was so happy to see ISU wbb get a crowd like that for first time in a long time. Alloted student section were full as well. Seems like Hawk fans in building were mostly upstairs and didn't get very loud till the end.

Game thoughts. This was my first time seeing our Twister Sisters live in person and had really only watched the Drake game on TV.

So impressed with Crooks, she is taking to Div 1 basketball like a fish to water. She was schooling Iowa's posts and I think us getting away from going to here in the 2nd half cost us. Bristow was my favorite going into the season but she had a tough one tonight. She was way to timid going to the basket.

It felt like toward the end of the game we were doing to much 1 on 1 stuff instead of playing team ball.

I was overall highly encouraged with what I saw. I thought Iowa would name the score. Iowa also though isn't the team they were last year as well. Clark is Clark but supporting cast isn't as strong as last year.

If we take away the 80% of the game we played tonight going forward I like our chances to do something special yet.

Also @Cycsk had a beverage tailgate before hand where I got to take in my first Ames Lager with him and @NWICY

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I'm glad the ESPN2 viewers got a pretty damned entertaining game to watch. The final four minutes were perplexing to say the least, both in coaching strategy and execution. Seems like they went away from what had been working fairly well and spent time dribbling with backs to the basket, hoping something would then materialize out of thin air.

Grudging kudos to Iowa/Bluder for actually playing defense for possibly the first time ever. :rolleyes: But Iowa now is very much a one-note team. There is a roadmap on how to beat them this year, but will Big 10 teams bother to pay attention? It sure doesn't seem like they have the last three years.

Proud of the girls to not show fear or intimidation against a highly ranked team and in front of a full house. I hope they all learned something from tonight and take the good forward, leaving the bad behind. I hope they're proud of the effort they made, too.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
36 shots. 31 FGA + 5 FTA.

Or, conversely, 30 points on 31 FGA.

Either way, less than 1 point every time she chucked.

They still won the game and as much as I hate to give Iowa and Clark props if we had a player like that I would want her to shoot it 20-30+ a night. Her career FG% is just shy of 47 which means most times she shoots it you have a 50/50 chance that it goes in and she hits clutch shots when it counts.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
NWICY's thought on the game. Great crowd it's been a long while since Hilton was that full. Plenty of Hawks but not overwhelming by any means. CC really is a whiny b*tch, so glad our girls don 't use her as a role model. I like not having a featured player these young girls really share the ball well.

If your a fan of WBB this young team is one to jump on the band wagon and watch them grow. Next opportunity is Sunday after the men's game don't be afraid to stay and watch them.

If you were a neutral fan I think this was a fun game to watch, we just came out on the wrong end of the stick in the end. Nothing to hang their heads about.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
First, I was sitting a few people down from a guy that looked like Dickie Bennet from Justified, and he was wearing a Connie McCaffery jersey. Seriously.

The only thing more offensive tonight were ISUs inbounds plays from the sideline. Seriously, those were God awful.

Wait the dude with the mullet, hat and tats? Saw him in the restroom at halftime. Dude was the stereotypical hawk fan. The skinny version of Hawkeye on my belly guy.

• Haha
Reactions: WartburgClone