**** WBB: ISU vs #4 Baylor Saturday 12 pm ESPN+ GAME THREAD ****

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I got to see the 2nd half. What a comeback win for the sisters.

Having Emily Ryan play (and start) most of the 3rd quarter was huge as she really set the tone for the period (and scored 8). I wonder about her conditioning as she had a rough patch in the 4th but was clearly one of the best players on the court.

If you didn't see it, ISU's first lead in the 2nd half was with 3:17 left in the 4th; Baylor took the lead with 31 seconds left and ISU took the lead back for good with an Audi Crooks seal and bucket with 24 ticks left.

I'm impressed with the freshmen but the whole team just has a lot of composure even when they fall behind to good seems (see Virginia, West and Bears, Baylor for reference).

Brown is going to have a B. Carleton / A. Joens type of career, assuming we get her for 4 years. She has about 7 different ways to score.

And Crooks' ability to position herself and use angles to score (her go-ahead basket today was against a 6'7" defender) is remarkable.

5-0 in the conference with a bunch of freshmen and transfers - what a great story. Good win, Cylcones!

(EDIT: This is only based on the one half that I saw but other Baylor squads that have been Top 10 seemed a lot better than this one, just in terms of speed and athleticism.)

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
About a month or so back I said the thing I loved about Fritz was she was a hard-nosed *****. But I was mocked with optimistic emojs when I said Kelsey shows the same moxie.

Did you see who was covering Fritz like a heavy blanket on their last possession of the game? Kelsey was not going to let Fritz even get the ball at the end.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Lastly, Hannah Belanger is the glue - she's out there doing everything this team needs, including great help defense. I was a huge Lexi fan, but I'm now convinced we're a better team with Hannah.
I am a HUGE Lexi D fan & really miss her defense prowess (although our current team is doing well without LD). Here are the comparisons of their seasons so far & the numbers show that Hannah was a HUGE pick up for us - something I wasn't completely would be true to begin the season. The biggest difference that SHOCKED me was the assist to turnover ratio - wow!!
Stats.png

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Hell Ya Hannah!

I used to think that Hannah was just a cute, small, three-point shooter. After today, I think she is a cold-blooded SOB assassin!

My favorite plays were when she drove the lane, even the one where she pushed off as she was taking #11 to the hoop in order to take advantage of her injured left ankle. And she wanted the ball in her hands at the end. Ice cold.

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
Not sure whether to cheer for Texas or KSU. Short term a Texas win would give us sole possession of 1st place but maybe a KSU win would be better in the long term. We only play Texas once but get KSU twice so we don't "have" to cheer for someone else to beat the Wildcats.
Looks like the Wildcats are going to get them.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
The lop-sided Baylor loss at KU gave reason to pause - how did they do it? Baylor starts four guards and they shot poorly. KU pounded it inside to Taiyanna Jackson and she dominated, with 29 points and 19 boards. Since we have a strong inside presence, I think we’ve got a puncher’s chance. We followed the Texas blueprint to beat WVU and we’ll follow the KU plan to challenge Baylor. ISU in another upset, 69-68! Let’s go State!
you were close!

Reactions: ICCYFAN