2022-23 Twister Sisters Season Thread

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net

Over the last month, The Athletic has spoken with more than 30 women’s college basketball coaches about an array of topics from name, image and likeness to athletic directors to sleeping giants in the sport. These coaches, who hail from power conferences and high mid-majors, were granted anonymity to allow them to speak openly without fear of retribution from their own programs or the NCAA. Throughout the week, we’re sharing coaches’ thoughts on the most pressing issues in their sport. Though not every response to each question is included, answers represent all opinions expressed.

They asked the coaches who was the best X's and O's coach, VanDerveer got 11 votes. Auriemma and Walz got 4 each. Coach Fen and Smesko (FL Gulf Coast) got 2 each.

Fennelly is the only one of the five that didn't get quotes about him in the article, so that vote count is the total of the ISU content.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I can't see it but just in case some of you Iowa peeps that subscribe can read it:

She's been a fav of mine since she showed up. One of her first games as a freshman versus NDSU in Fargo. She had 14 pts. And, yeah, pretty good seats for that game. I hadn't sat courtside since the old Armory and had seats one row behind the opponent bench. ;)

If you look where #4 Rae Johnson's hair bun is pointing that's Angie (Welle) Edinger.

MGM at NDSU 2019.jpg

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
She's been a fav of mine since she showed up. One of her first games as a freshman versus NDSU in Fargo. She had 14 pts. And, yeah, pretty good seats for that game. I hadn't sat courtside since the old Armory and had seats one row behind the opponent bench. ;)

If you look where #4 Rae Johnson's hair bun is pointing that's Angie (Welle) Edinger.

View attachment 110976
I remember your post after sojourning up there and the long drive. But worth it!

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
March 27th is the deadline for players to confirm eligibility for the WNBA draft, so we should get an NCAA decision on Soares soon.

Not to keep harping on the same point, but I will: I see zero path forward for her getting an extra year, so I think it's inevitable she will be denied. Following that, people will say the NCAA is screwing ISU, but it's simply not true. If the NCAA gave her a waiver, it would be inconsistent with other rulings unless there's some key piece of information we're missing.

Last edited:

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
March 27th is the deadline for players to confirm eligibility for the WNBA draft, so we should get an NCAA decision on Soares soon.

Not to keep harping on the same point, but I will -- I see zero path forward for her getting an extra year, so I think it's inevitable she will be denied. Following that, people will say the NCAA is screwing ISU, but it's simply not true. If the NCAA gave her a waiver, it would be inconsistent with other rulings unless there's some key piece of information we're missing.
Sadly - I agree
I am no expert on the rules, but seems like a remote chance she comes back.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines

Not to keep harping on the same point, but I will -- I see zero path forward for her getting an extra year, so I think it's inevitable she will be denied. Following that, people will say the NCAA is screwing ISU, but it's simply not true. If the NCAA gave her a waiver, it would be inconsistent with other rulings unless there's some key piece of information we're missing.
I don't think people will say the NCAA is screwing ISU because Bill made it known upfront that it was an uphill battle.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I don't think people will say the NCAA is screwing ISU because Bill made it known upfront that it was an uphill battle.
I love ISU fans as much as the next guy, but if there's a chance to blame refs or the NCAA for something we'll do it at least as readily as any other fan base. And I don't think we're blaming refs for Soares getting a waiver denial.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA

Not to keep harping on the same point, but I will: I see zero path forward for her getting an extra year, so I think it's inevitable she will be denied. Following that, people will say the NCAA is screwing ISU, but it's simply not true. If the NCAA gave her a waiver, it would be inconsistent with other rulings unless there's some key piece of information we're missing.
To me one mitigating factor is she hasn’t played NCAA ball for four years. NAIA is a different beast and unrelated to the NCAA

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009

So it seems that Maggie is still “in” the team. BF mentioned that she is in the portal due to family reason (illness in the family) and will play closer to home. So no “hard feelings”.
Same with Kane - she is still “in”.

I was surprised to see comments on ISU WBB page where people asked where MEM, Lexi and Denae were, “hate to see they were not in the team” LOL. I would actually be surprised if they were in the picture