2022-23 Twister Sisters Season Thread

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Out (5): A. Joens, Kane, Espenmiller-McGraw, Soares, Jordao
In (5): Jackson, K. Joens, Bristow, Brown, Crooks
I think right after Soares's injury, Fennelly said they'd at least try for a medical hardship waiver to get another season, right? Not saying she'd have any chance to get it, and the plan may have also changed since then.

Reactions: acoustimac

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I think right after Soares's injury, Fennelly said they'd at least try for a medical hardship waiver to get another season, right? Not saying she'd have any chance to get it, and the plan may have also changed since then.
I've been on record as saying there's zero chance of a medical hardship happening. It doesn't matter the angle they take -- the NCAA has been very consistent on this.

From what I've seen, Soares is in a good place to get drafted in the late 1st or second round of the WNBA draft by a team that doesn't need her immediately but could use her in a couple years. She didn't get many games before getting hurt, but she did get enough to show that her skills translated well to a higher level of competition.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I've been on record as saying there's zero chance of a medical hardship happening. It doesn't matter the angle they take -- the NCAA has been very consistent on this.

From what I've seen, Soares is in a good place to get drafted in the late 1st or second round of the WNBA draft by a team that doesn't need her immediately but could use her in a couple years. She didn't get many games before getting hurt, but she did get enough to show that her skills translated well to a higher level of competition.
Yeah, I remembered someone talking about a waiver being impossible. I'm sure you know more about the NCAA's rulings on these situations than I do, but I'm inclined to say that Soares's situation is unique enough to at least make it worth trying. The combination of playing in NAIA, sitting out injured in the COVID season that didn't count against eligibility, then transferring to the NCAA to play a single year and getting injured just a few games after the threshold for a medical redshirt seems like pretty special circumstances. I don't expect them to make an exception, but it seems like if they were going to, this would be the situation to do it.

But like you said, she still should have a good shot at getting drafted. It would be perfectly reasonable for her to pursue that rather than even try for an unlikely waiver.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Yeah, I remembered someone talking about a waiver being impossible. I'm sure you know more about the NCAA's rulings on these situations than I do, but I'm inclined to say that Soares's situation is unique enough to at least make it worth trying. The combination of playing in NAIA, sitting out injured in the COVID season that didn't count against eligibility, then transferring to the NCAA to play a single year and getting injured just a few games after the threshold for a medical redshirt seems like pretty special circumstances. I don't expect them to make an exception, but it seems like if they were going to, this would be the situation to do it.

But like you said, she still should have a good shot at getting drafted. It would be perfectly reasonable for her to pursue that rather than even try for an unlikely waiver.
Bill has said it is a long shot, but Steph wanted to try, so they did.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Other players who sat out the COVID season have appealed for an extra season and have been denied. The NCAA has also been inflexible on medical hardship exceptions -- I think they switched from 20% to 30% limit in exchange for taking a harder stance on exceptions. I see zero path forward on an appeal.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
What tidbits I’ve heard is that if the hardship is granted…we will see her back again. The timing really sucks for her not being able to show anything post recovery prior to the draft. With a history of knee issues she would be a chance for any team to draft early.

• Optimistic
Reactions: StClone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Since it's actually getting close to March seeding for the NCAA's I took another peek at Brackology. Cyclones have dropped to a #6 which I guess is in line with polling and current league position. Pretty much all of the Big 12 teams dropped some.

The #5 and #6 brackets are pretty weak sauce so we still have a good shot at a #5.

Reactions: undersized_post

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
What tidbits I’ve heard is that if the hardship is granted…we will see her back again. The timing really sucks for her not being able to show anything post recovery prior to the draft. With a history of knee issues she would be a chance for any team to draft early.
Do you know when they are supposed to hear back on the hardship request?

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames

I remember watching that selection show and experiencing tears of joy that Iowa State got to HOST NCAA games for the first time in school history when "Hilton Coliseum" popped up on the screen. Definitely a wonderful memory among a quarter century with a LOT of great ones regarding this program. I'm grateful I have been able to see so many milestones in person. I never thought I would find something I would enjoy so much when I transferred to ISU in 1996, nor would I have expected to meet so many great people along the way (like Rulzzz).

:bugle:

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
After another tough week including that embarrassing loss to KU…the sisters fall out of the Top 25. looks like the ONLY hope of hosting the NCAA is winning the tournament.

Reactions: MJ29

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Interesting looking at the brackets. Two of the four seeds are team we beat…of course one with Soares playing. Moving up is going to take some doing.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Listened to the coaches show tonight, Bill bumped the summer trip up to this summer so the new freshman get to go along. He figures it will be a good way to get a jump on team bonding. (paraphrasing a little).

I would assume they could play but don't know for sure @acoustimac , @mred , @BoxsterCy, do you know the rule on this. They will be on campus so they should be able to play it would be the same as summer workouts IMO.

WartburgClone

Mar 14, 2022
Listened to the coaches show tonight, Bill bumped the summer trip up to this summer so the new freshman get to go along. He figures it will be a good way to get a jump on team bonding. (paraphrasing a little).

I would assume they could play but don't know for sure @acoustimac , @mred , @BoxsterCy, do you know the rule on this. They will be on campus so they should be able to play it would be the same as summer workouts IMO.
Summer trip? Like a foreign tour?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

The main benefit is they are allowed 10 practices prior to the trip. Good intro for the freshman. They can only do it once every four years and makes sense to spend the money to do it this summer since they would not have been able to do real practice with the new gals until mid September. Good team building exercise and some practice and games you can't do most summers.