MLB: ***2022 MLB SEASON THREAD***

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
It's bad enough that Yanks manager Boone sucks as a manager but now he's turned into a whiny bastard on top of sucking with the lineups and bullpen. If getting swept by the Astros would get him fired I'd be all in for my guys getting swept. Only Yank manager since Martin that I really really dislike**. I was sort of just "meh" on him as skipper and gave him a pass on last year (million injuries and all) but now he just has to go. Lot's of injuries this year again but now he's alternating spouting BS like IKF and Donaldson could have been Gold Glove finalist (okay Donaldson can still field) and whining about stupid **** like wind.

** Note: Was never a real fan of the sour personality Buck Showalter but at least he could manage a team in spite of his natural tendency to be sort of an *******.

Last edited:
Reactions: MeowingCows

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
It's bad enough that Yanks manager Boone sucks as a manager but now he's turned into a whiny bastard on top of sucking with the lineups and bullpen. If getting swept by the Astro would get him fired I'd be all in for my guys getting swept.
Maybe more important is for them to sign some guys that can put a ball in play. Stros D has been shaky, but Yanks have put no stress on them.

Contact is king in the playoffs. Early count hitting works in the playoffs. Yanks need a Gurriel.

To me it is one of the interesting things about baseball. Construction of a team to make the playoffs is very different than one that will be successful in the playoffs. Being lights out against 3-5 in the rotation and bullpen days can win you a hell of a lot of games, but doesn't translate to postseason success.

Reactions: somecyguy

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Contact is king in the playoffs. Early count hitting works in the playoffs. Yanks need a Gurriel.
This has really been amplified the past few years with the adoption of all or nothing swinging. Putting pressure on a team with guys on base makes a difference.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Maybe more important is for them to sign some guys that can put a ball in play. Stros D has been shaky, but Yanks have put no stress on them.

To me it is one of the interesting things about baseball. Construction of a team to make the playoffs is very different than one that will be successful in the playoffs. Being lights out against 3-5 in the rotation and bullpen days can win you a hell of a lot of games, but doesn't translate to postseason success.

Lot of truth to that. Yanks have the starting pitching and had the relief corps before half of them went on the IL. DJ LeMahieu was supposed to be one of those contact guys but think he's been so injured he's just not the same guy (at all) and isn't even on the roster for post season. I think he might even be "done". Same for .300 hitting Andrew Benintend, IL, but he's not done and hope to see him back 100% next year. Surprisingly they hit gold with Carpenter also being that guy to but than he got injured and they are sticking him into must at bat situations when he hadn't even played in a rehab game and been out for two full months with limited baseball activities (broken foot). They are just setting him up to fail, hell, even the announcers know it.

Ha, almost sounds like I am making excuses for Boone and maybe I would if he didn't suck. ;)

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

Partial callout for owning the Twins, but much larger callout that the Yankees just don't perform in the postseason. As addressed above, I blame most of that on roster construction putting too many all or nothing hitters and especially too many strikeouts in the lineup. Yankees just never seem to figure this out.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
With the Astros sending them home again, it will be interesting to see what the Yankee$ do now with Judge and the rest of their roster.
I think Judge has wanted to go west anyway, and him struggling in the playoffs probably makes the Yanks less likely to throw some crazy long deal at him. Rizzo is also a FA.

Maybe worse than that is I'm pretty sure they have Donaldson for over $20M next year. Losers.