MLB: ***2022 MLB SEASON THREAD***

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I just saw a World Series No-Hitter! Astros 5 - 0 over Phillies! Series now tied 2-2.

Second one ever! 1956 Don Larson perfect game was the first. 66 years ago!
I wonder if this was game 5-7 if they would’ve kept Javier in there. No hitter is definitely cool but a combined no hitter isn’t quite the same.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Will be interesting if we ever hear how McCuellers was tipping his pitches. I doubt we see him the rest of the series.

My boys and I were talking about that last night...so we rewatched the Phillies hitting earling in Game 3 and something was up for sure! Harper was on to something...whether he was just confident in the scouting report or he (or a staff member) noticed McCuellers tipping pitches...it was something! No way does a guy just call the ondeck hitter over for a "pep talk"! I love baseball when things like that are going on...tipping pitches, stealing signs (I hate the new pitcher/catcher device because it takes that part of the game away)...but not cheating like the Astros did in the past. I don't like either team...hate the Astros but love Dusty Baker so this has been a fun series to this point for me. Hope it goes 7!

Reactions: Neptune78

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Will be interesting if we ever hear how McCuellers was tipping his pitches. I doubt we see him the rest of the series.
It is in the realm of possibility that you wouldn't have seen him anyway.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
My boys and I were talking about that last night...so we rewatched the Phillies hitting earling in Game 3 and something was up for sure! Harper was on to something...whether he was just confident in the scouting report or he (or a staff member) noticed McCuellers tipping pitches...it was something! No way does a guy just call the ondeck hitter over for a "pep talk"! I love baseball when things like that are going on...tipping pitches, stealing signs (I hate the new pitcher/catcher device because it takes that part of the game away)...but not cheating like the Astros did in the past. I don't like either team...hate the Astros but love Dusty Baker so this has been a fun series to this point for me. Hope it goes 7!
I think Pedro Martinez noticed something in how he was changing his glove level when he was throwing his slider vs. fastball.

I definitely want the Phils to win due to the past cheating, and I have to say Harper has really grown on me. He's fun to watch at the plate, and the guy absolutely gets after it. But I do like Dusty, and I do love the way the Astros hit. It's no surprise that even when not cheating they keep winning in the post season. They are the outliers in their plate approach, and it absolutely works in the post season when you are facing the top of rotations and tighter bullpens. Watching guys jump on first pitches, have a two-strike hitting approach, and hit the ball the other way is great. Now had Pena actually laid down a nice bunt my old school baseball soul would've been completely fulfilled.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I have no idea where I saw it but I saw a video last night that McCullers leg kick was noticeably higher when throwing a fastball than when he was throwing anything offspeed. Not sure if that's what the tip pitch was, but you could definitely tell after it was pointed out

Reactions: cyfanatic

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I have no idea where I saw it but I saw a video last night that McCullers leg kick was noticeably higher when throwing a fastball than when he was throwing anything offspeed. Not sure if that's what the tip pitch was, but you could definitely tell after it was pointed out
Maybe that was it, I thought I heard somewhere Pedro mentioning glove level, but they could be one in the same.

It's amazing how much of this stuff probably gets figured out now. I always wondered if some of the great hitters that did tons of video work back in the day like Tony Gwynn maybe saw this stuff and kept it as trade secret.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Maybe that was it, I thought I heard somewhere Pedro mentioning glove level, but they could be one in the same.
Speaking of the announcers, I really like this group. Smoltz in particular is informative.

Reactions: t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Was this it, the slow motion clip?

• Informative
Reactions: frackincygy

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Speaking of the announcers, I really like this group. Smoltz in particular is informative.

Smoltz is incredible. I think he is the best analyst in all of sports.
Pretty good pitcher too! I read an article yesterday about top 10 Braves pitchers of all time. Maddox, Glavine, and Smoltz were all in the top 5.

I wonder how those 3 rank amongst top pitchers of all time, all of MLB. Would those 3 be in the top 100? My guess and answer would be yes.

Reactions: Nothingman

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I wonder if this was game 5-7 if they would’ve kept Javier in there. No hitter is definitely cool but a combined no hitter isn’t quite the same.
I'd say if game 6 or 7, and the Astros had a 5-0 lead, yes, he'd stay in and try for the one pitcher no hitter.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Pretty good pitcher too! I read an article yesterday about top 10 Braves pitchers of all time. Maddox, Glavine, and Smoltz were all in the top 5.

I wonder how those 3 rank amongst top pitchers of all time, all of MLB. Would those 3 be in the top 100? My guess and answer would be yes.
1990s Braves teams were pitching monsters. Twins beating them in the 91 Series was some of the best baseball I've ever seen.

Reactions: t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

It's amazing how much of this stuff probably gets figured out now. I always wondered if some of the great hitters that did tons of video work back in the day like Tony Gwynn maybe saw this stuff and kept it as trade secret.
Agree. And how about guys like Rod Carew, George Brett? Maybe Brett did, but did they have video that far back? Would have to go with regular film for Carew and prior, I would think?

And I think w/ film, there would be less of it, less camera angles etc., compared to modern times with video or digital. Maybe makes the older guys like Carew and Ted Williams (last to hit .400), that much more admirable?

Of course, they didn't have as many 100mph flamethrowers as they do now!

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
True. But still pretty cool and quite an accomplishment!

A no-no with one pitcher is the pinnacle (well, perfect game), but a no hitter by multiple pitchers is really special too, if you think about it.

How many times does a manager take out a pitcher in the 6-8th inning, who is shutting down the opposing team, only to have the replacement get lit up?

In Houston's case, last night, they had 3 different pitchers, each allowing 0 hits, for their one inning pitched. Remarkable in itself.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Astros win Game 5 to take a 3-2 series lead heading back to Houston.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
That was a fun, drama-filled game. McCormick had one hell of a catch to save it in the 9th

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

Help Support Us

Become a patron