2023-24 ISU WBB Season Thread

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Also this:

View attachment 124618

Spotlight on: Iowa State​

The Cyclones encountered a skid in late January that bled into the beginning of February after their eight-game winning streak put them on the map. They’ve gotten back to playing .500 since their loss to Oklahoma, but picking up a double-overtime win over Kansas State was a massive boost to their tournament resume. A rematch with the Wildcats next week is one of the biggest games remaining on the Big 12 schedule.
Iowa State played a difficult nonconference schedule, ranked 30th in the country, while integrating five freshmen who play significant minutes, and they were without senior point guard Emily Ryan for much of it. Wins over Troy and North Dakota State are solid, but the best wins have come in the Big 12. It helps greatly that the Cyclones have been close in largely every game except for their lone meeting with Texas.

Defeating BYU and Cincinnati will be key in holding the course, and another win over Kansas State could carry the Cyclones from a No. 11 seed to a No. 8 or higher with some wiggle room in the Big 12 tournament.

Regardless of what happens, Iowa State’s exploits have been awesome to watch. The future is wildly bright in Ames with Addy Brown and Audi Crooks asserting themselves as immediate impactors and potential stars in the league. A postseason run would be an exciting punctuation on their first season.
Fingers crossed for a 10/11 as long as it doesn't put us in the play in games

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Random question. Did Soares come back to Ames after her play in the Olympic qualifiers or stay in Brazil? Or move on to Dallas?

Dale

Mar 5, 2010
Chicagoland
Creme's updated his NCAAW bracketology -- he has ISU as a 9 seed playing 8 Alabama in the first round and (possibly) 1 USC in the second round. USC's metrics are horrible for a one seed -- Massey's ratings, for example, would have ISU as only a 3.5 point underdog on the road against USC -- so I'd be happy to lock that bracket in today.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Creme's updated his NCAAW bracketology -- he has ISU as a 9 seed playing 8 Alabama in the first round and (possibly) 1 USC in the second round. USC's metrics are horrible for a one seed -- Massey's ratings, for example, would have ISU as only a 3.5 point underdog on the road against USC -- so I'd be happy to lock that bracket in today.
I wonder what makes him think #12 NET USC will be a 1 seed? NET isn't everything, but what metric does USC have that makes them look like a 1 seed?

Last edited:
Reactions: acoustimac

Dale

Mar 5, 2010
Chicagoland
I wonder what makes him think #12 NET USC will be a 1 seed? NET isn't everything, but what metric does USC have that makes them look like a 1 seed?
USC's quad record is fine (4-4 Q1a, 5-0 Q1b, one quad 2 loss), but to my eyes Texas (4-2 Q1a, 4-2 Q1b, no quad 2 losses), Iowa (5-3 Q1a, 4-1 Q1b, no quad 2 losses), and UCLA (5-4 Q1a, 6-1 Q1b, no quad 2 losses) have stronger cases.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
USC's quad record is fine (4-4 Q1a, 5-0 Q1b, one quad 2 loss), but to my eyes Texas (4-2 Q1a, 4-2 Q1b, no quad 2 losses), Iowa (5-3 Q1a, 4-1 Q1b, no quad 2 losses), and UCLA (5-4 Q1a, 6-1 Q1b, no quad 2 losses) have stronger cases.

Will there be a change to the organization of the individual team sheets that are referenced by the Division I Women’s Basketball Committee during selections?
The Division I Women’s Basketball Committee will not be changing the overall look of the team sheets for the 2023-24 season. Team sheets are provided visually as a “category” or “categories” not “quadrants” or “quads.” If there are ever changes to the team sheet organization, information will be communicated publicly once those decisions are reached.

swclone11

Feb 17, 2024
A decent finish to the season and I hope we end up in 7-seed discussion. Not expecting it, but it'd be huge!

DGC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 16, 2018
With the current 3-way tie for the 4 seed, as well as only being one game behind KSU with winning both head-to-head matches, does someone smarter than me understand all the tie breakers and who we need to cheer against this weekend in order to get the double bye in KC?

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
With the current 3-way tie for the 4 seed, as well as only being one game behind KSU with winning both head-to-head matches, does someone smarter than me understand all the tie breakers and who we need to cheer against this weekend in order to get the double bye in KC?

To get a top 4 seed in the Big 12 Tournament, we need to win and have at least one of these three things happen:
  • Tech over KSU
  • TCU over WVU
  • Baylor over OSU
I don't expect either of the first two to happen, so root for Baylor. That game is Sunday, so we'll already know by then how important it is.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
To get a top 4 seed in the Big 12 Tournament, we need to win and have at least one of these three things happen:
  • Tech over KSU
  • TCU over WVU
  • Baylor over OSU
I don't expect either of the first two to happen, so root for Baylor. That game is Sunday, so we'll already know by then how important it is.
With their star back on the court I think TCU has a good shot at WVU