2023-24 ISU WBB Season Thread

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I am thrilled Em is coming back, but will it change some of the players contemplating the portal? I hope not, but players want to play.
I don't think it probably would have a direct impact on any players thinking about minutes. Since Jackson has already been starting alongside Ryan and getting 20+ minutes a game, all it does is continue to slide her over and have more of AJ's minutes come at the 2 instead of the 1 offensively. There would be some trickle-down effect that would reduce Joens and Bristow's minutes some (compared to Ryan not returning), but there will still be substantial opportunity for them to compete for more minutes with Belanger and Diew graduating.

Right now, Fennelly is basically returning a 7-player rotation (Ryan, Jackson, Joens, Bristow, Brown, Crooks, Natabou). Alisa Williams coming off of a redshirt and the incoming freshmen could definitely work their way into it, but right now the minutes are the returners' to lose.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I don't think it probably would have a direct impact on any players thinking about minutes. Since Jackson has already been starting alongside Ryan and getting 20+ minutes a game, all it does is continue to slide her over and have more of AJ's minutes come at the 2 instead of the 1 offensively. There would be some trickle-down effect that would reduce Joens and Bristow's minutes some (compared to Ryan not returning), but there will still be substantial opportunity for them to compete for more minutes with Belanger and Diew graduating.

Right now, Fennelly is basically returning a 7-player rotation (Ryan, Jackson, Joens, Bristow, Brown, Crooks, Natabou). Alisa Williams coming off of a redshirt and the incoming freshmen could definitely work their way into it, but right now the minutes are the returners' to lose.

If everyone returns, no guarantee these days, than there is not much there for portal recruiting as far as minutes or big impact players, or so it would seem to me. Maybe a need at forward/big guard because I have no idea what to think of Williams (unranked recruit and didn't play much at all as a freshman at LSU).

• Agree
Reactions: MJ271

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Was listening to the post game show I'm thinking Audi has a NIL thing going with Northwestern Banks. They have a Audi Crooks CD, come in after the game how every many points Crooks had gets added to your CD rate. Went to the web page she definitely does. :)

Reactions: bozclone

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
If Baylor wins tomorrow here is the Big 12 Tourney Bracket:

View attachment 124852

If Baylor loses, we lose the double bye:

View attachment 124853

Interesting. Apparently the tie-breaking criteria for 2 teams (record against #1 Oklahoma) is different that for 3 teams (record against each other).

Functionally, we are dropped to the 5th seed if a ranked Baylor loses to an unranked Oklahoma State.

The mred bracket generator makes my head spin!

With Baylor win over OSU:
1. Oklahoma (15 - 3)
2. Texas (14 - 4)
3. Kansas St (13 - 5)
4. Iowa St (12 - 6)
With Baylor, above W Virginia based on round-robin record (2-1). Above Baylor based on head-to-head record (1-0).
5. Baylor (12 - 6) With Iowa St, above W Virginia based on round-robin record (2-1). Below Iowa St based on head-to-head record (0-1).
6. W Virginia (12 - 6) Below Baylor and Iowa St based on round-robin record (1-3).
7. Kansas (11 - 7)
8. Okla St (7 - 11)

With OSU win over Baylor:
1. Oklahoma (15 - 3)
2. Texas (14 - 4)
3. Kansas St (13 - 5)
4. W Virginia (12 - 6)
Above Iowa St based on winning percentage against #1 teams [Oklahoma] (1-0).
5. Iowa St (12 - 6) Below W Virginia based on winning percentage against #1 teams [Oklahoma] (0-1).
6. Kansas (11 - 7) Above Baylor based on winning percentage against #1 teams [Oklahoma] (1-1).
7. Baylor (11 - 7) Below Kansas based on winning percentage against #1 teams [Oklahoma] (0-1).
8. Okla St (8 - 10)

• Informative
Reactions: Buster28

ZorkClone

Nov 12, 2019
It's amazing that this team with 7 of the 9 regulars who played being new this year and five being Freshmen won 12 conference games. Last year's team with all its experience won 11.
TBF last year’s team had to face Oklahoma, Texas, and Baylor twice

Reactions: Buster28

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
TBF last year’s team had to face Oklahoma, Texas, and Baylor twice
Technically, ISU played those programs THREE times if you count Kansas City, going 6-3. Yes, I know the three KC wins don't count in the league record, but still. Fennelly said you can't compare schedules between this year and last and that's a fair assessment - they're not remotely set up the same. Though, imagine what this year's squad might have finished with were it not for those awful hiccup games with Tech and UCF (14-4). The loss to Kansas doesn't seem quite so bad now that KU played better down the stretch. The Tech loss seems worse since they're currently on a nine-game skid, which I think might result in ANOTHER new head coach next year. Fun fact: in the 18 years since Marsha Sharp's last NCAA tournament appearance (her second-to-last season), Tech has made the big dance twice, losing in the first round both times.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Interesting. Apparently the tie-breaking criteria for 2 teams (record against #1 Oklahoma) is different that for 3 teams (record against each other).
The criteria are the same, but ISU and WVU split the season series (as did Baylor and Kansas) so those ties move on to the next criterion: record against the #1 team

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: Cycsk and NWICY

CloneSt8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 1, 2011
I know it won't happen because it never has, but I think Coach Fennelly should be up there as conference coach of the year. He has a team with one starter from last year who was out the first nine games, two transfers, and five Freshmen and has the team fourth in the conference!

As an aside I cannot believe he has never been voted coach of the year in the conference.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
I know it won't happen because it never has, but I think Coach Fennelly should be up there as conference coach of the year. He has a team with one starter from last year who was out the first nine games, two transfers, and five Freshmen and has the team fourth in the conference!

As an aside I cannot believe he has never been voted coach of the year in the conference.
It has been his best coaching effort in years; however, OU was picked fifth and finished 1st, so Jenni is the favorite IMHO. Had WVU not had their slide at the end of the season, I think their new coach would be in the conversation.

Last edited:
Reactions: riceville98