2023-24 ISU WBB Season Thread

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
So you think you’re more knowledgeable than the Big XII Head Coaches who voted on these honors?

It is a curious non-selection to anything. They did vote her preseason All-Big 12, and while she didn't deserve that in the final pick it seems she should still have been honorable mention. I am not a big Ryan fan but think she did get slighted. Will be even more dilution next year when we have even more teams in the league. The player pool is getting pretty big and teams don't play twice. Not like coaches are sitting around all season pondering a player they will see once.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
It is a curious non-selection to anything. They did vote her preseason All-Big 12, and while she didn't deserve that in the final pick it seems she should still have been honorable mention. I am not a big Ryan fan but think she did get slighted. Will be even more dilution next year when we have even more teams in the league. The player pool is getting pretty big and teams don't play twice. Not like coaches are sitting around all season pondering a player they will see once.
If, imho, things turn out the way they seem to be going there are going to be a few awards next year which you may not be thrilled with Boxster. ;):oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: carvers4math

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
So, next stop in this surprisingly fun season is selection and seeding time. I usually like to mock Cremeski and his bracketology BS but did take a look for amusement and entertainment purposes. He has us in LA across from USC. That would be one was to get eyes on Iowa State, Crooks up against the new media darling freshman JuJu Watkins!

Reactions: acoustimac

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Brittney Griner freshman year at Baylor, 18.4 pts 8.5 rebounds

Audi Crooks freshman year at ISU, 18.9 pts 7.7 rebounds

Edit: Different kind of players as Griner was a rim protecting shot blocker to but they are both dominant posts and pts/rbs are so close.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
How we have done historically as a #7. Try to ignore the cut/paste formatting.

2005#7First Round#10 UtahL 61–73
2008#7First Round
Second Round
#10 Georgia Tech
#2 Rutgers
W 58–55
L 58–69
2011#7First Round#10 MaristL 64–74
2014#7First Round#10 Florida StateL 44–55
2021#7First Round
Second Round
#10 Michigan State
#2 Texas A&M
W 79–75
L 82–84 (OT)

Interesting that the best #7 for us was taking #2 to OT with freshmen Donarski, Ryan and Feuerbach starting. And in Texas versus a Texas School.

ZorkClone

Nov 12, 2019
How we have done historically as a #7. Try to ignore the cut/paste formatting.

2005#7First Round#10 UtahL 61–73
2008#7First Round
Second Round
#10 Georgia Tech
#2 Rutgers
W 58–55
L 58–69
2011#7First Round#10 MaristL 64–74
2014#7First Round#10 Florida StateL 44–55
2021#7First Round
Second Round
#10 Michigan State
#2 Texas A&M
W 79–75
L 82–84 (OT)

Interesting that the best #7 for us was taking #2 to OT with freshmen Donarski, Ryan and Feuerbach starting. And in Texas versus a Texas School.
Not the best record. This feels a lot like a 50/50 game.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Not the best record. This feels a lot like a 50/50 game.

7/8/9/10 games between P5 schools is always sort of a pick'em to me unless it's just a bad match up for a team. Maryland is not a bad matchup for us considering they don't play great defense so I'm throwing this one into the pick'em. If Brown can score to support Audi and some three shooting we might be okay. Bad side is while Maryland is down a lot this year they have two Sweet Sixteens and one Elite Eight in the last three tournaments. Of course those were hosting at home and not traveling cross-country to play as as a #10.

Reactions: acoustimac

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
7/8/9/10 games between P5 schools is always sort of a pick'em to me unless it's just a bad match up for a team. Maryland is not a bad matchup for us considering they don't play great defense so I'm throwing this one into the pick'em. If Brown can score to support Audi and some three shooting we might be okay. Bad side is while Maryland is down a lot this year they have two Sweet Sixteens and one Elite Eight in the last three tournaments. Of course those were hosting at home and not traveling cross-country to play as as a #10.
I took Maryland. I feel like every time I take ISU to win in these situations I jinx the Cyclones so I did a reverse jinx.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I took Maryland. I feel like every time I take ISU to win in these situations I jinx the Cyclones so I did a reverse jinx.

Thanks! ;)

I don't do picks but if I did I'd probably pick ISU. Not that I'll be bummed much if they lose but think advancing one would be a big deal for the freshman and something to build on. Plus, even for the non-ISU fans, an ISU game with Audi and the freshmen versus Stanford would be a better TV game story than #10 Maryland who is usually a #2.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I think you’ve hit it on the nose. Brown has to be a major contributor. Texas removed her from the game last weekend. Good rotations, ball movement on offense and hit the open looks. On defense good on ball defense.