NBA: ***2023-24 NBA season***

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I’m convinced most (not all) NBA general managers are completely incompetent when it comes to building teams. A lot prefer splashy signings rather than forming a complementary unit.

You traded away two key pieces of your team to get an under-sized, ball dominant, 33-year old PG who’s been a defensive liability his entire career. Included in the trade was your best perimeter defender (maybe in the league) Jrue Holiday. Oh you stink at defense now? Who could have seen this coming. Fire the coach!

I felt the same way about the Harden trade but they have actually defied conventional wisdom (so far…)
I don't necessarily disagree, but my understanding (from seeing takes from people who know more than me) is also that they've also attempted some changes in their defensive scheme that have failed and are at least part of the reason for the worse defense, even beyond the worse perimeter defenders.

Reactions: simply1

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
I don't necessarily disagree, but my understanding (from seeing takes from people who know more than me) is also that they've also attempted some changes in their defensive scheme that have failed and are at least part of the reason for the worse defense, even beyond the worse perimeter defenders.
Ultimately the perimeter D is the problem. Griffin wanted to play aggressive, ball-pressure, man-to-man D. They probably could do that with Holiday and Allen (two players the Bucks had on the roster when they hired a coach who had this defensive philosophy).

Unfortunately, 5 months after they fired Budenholzer and hired this guy, they decided to trade Holiday and Allen and pick up Lillard, who is a huge defensive liability. It was just a stupid trade, partially (mostly) done to make a splash and retain Giannis.

For the record, I don’t think they should have fired Budenholzer for Griffin either.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Ultimately the perimeter D is the problem. Griffin wanted to play aggressive, ball-pressure, man-to-man D. They probably could do that with Holiday and Allen (two players the Bucks had on the roster when they hired a coach who had this defensive philosophy).

Unfortunately, 5 months after they fired Budenholzer and hired this guy, they decided to trade Holiday and Allen and pick up Lillard, who is a huge defensive liability. It was just a stupid trade, partially (mostly) done to make a splash and retain Giannis.

For the record, I don’t think they should have fired Budenholzer for Griffin either.
I agree that perimeter defense is the problem, but I think it's perfectly fine to place at least as much blame on Griffin for not being willing or able to adapt to the personnel. It's a bit crazy, but the Bucks' defensive rating with Lillard on-court is actually better than their rating with Giannis and Lopez on-court and Lillard off, which shows that Lillard might not be the absolute centerpiece of the issues.
(Last season, the Giannis/Lopez on and Holiday off defensive rating was 110. Right now, the Giannis/Lopez on and Lillard off defensive rating is 125.)

I'd agree that they shouldn't have fired Budenholzer for Griffin, though I was okay with them firing Budenholzer at first because I thought the obvious choice was Nick Nurse. For the Lillard trade, I don't think it was bad in a vacuum--it was a calculated risk that having another go-to guy to rely on offensively in the playoffs would outweigh the defensive downgrade. However, their inability to adapt and inability to replace role players really escalated the challenges they were already going to have.

Reactions: SolterraCyclone

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
I agree that perimeter defense is the problem, but I think it's perfectly fine to place at least as much blame on Griffin for not being willing or able to adapt to the personnel. It's a bit crazy, but the Bucks' defensive rating with Lillard on-court is actually better than their rating with Giannis and Lopez on-court and Lillard off, which shows that Lillard might not be the absolute centerpiece of the issues.
(Last season, the Giannis/Lopez on and Holiday off defensive rating was 110. Right now, the Giannis/Lopez on and Lillard off defensive rating is 125.)

I'd agree that they shouldn't have fired Budenholzer for Griffin, though I was okay with them firing Budenholzer at first because I thought the obvious choice was Nick Nurse. For the Lillard trade, I don't think it was bad in a vacuum--it was a calculated risk that having another go-to guy to rely on offensively in the playoffs would outweigh the defensive downgrade. However, their inability to adapt and inability to replace role players really escalated the challenges they were already going to have.
First, that is a great site! Thank you for sharing. I do agree that Griffin isn’t blameless because he hasn’t adapted to the players that he has.

I just put it on the GM/management most because they hired a coach with that defensive philosophy, and then promptly traded two of his best perimeter defenders away in Holiday and Allen.

I thought that Lillard trade had disaster written all over it from the beginning. I understand they hoped the trade off of D versus getting a second star would be worth it. But that clearly hasn’t been the case. And I fundamentally believe the Bucks made that trade to try and keep Giannis long term. It wasn’t made with the goal of putting together a complementary team.

Reactions: MJ271

Pitt_Clone

Nov 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Wait, I just had to check because I don't follow the NBA that close. The Bucks are 30-13 and leading their division? The way you guys are talking makes it sound like they're a .500 team or something.

Reactions: NENick

Cmonwhatarewedoinghereman

Jul 26, 2023
The team has been pretty bad defensively. As a Bucks fan, I hope that they give Rivers a long look. Not sure who the other candidates are - but hopefully the new coach can help them with their defensive deficiencies.
It should be Kenny Atkinson but the LOL karma hire would be terry stotts.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
So is there going to be 50/60/70 point scorers almost every night now? I get it today's players are very skilled but still this is getting to be a bit absurd.

Last edited:

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Watching the Lakers game now and I remembered how people were saying reffing in the NBA was so much better than college after the KState game, I assume those people are mentally handicapped because this **** is atrocious.

Reactions: simply1

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Lakers getting hosed.

Obvious flagrant not called on Green end of regulation.

End of 2nd OT Green with moving screen to get Curry an open 3.

James takes it to the basket, makes 2 FTs to win by one.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonespiker33

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Watching the Lakers game now and I remembered how people were saying reffing in the NBA was so much better than college after the KState game, I assume those people are mentally handicapped because this **** is atrocious.
I spit up through my nose at that thought.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
I love the season Embiid is having but it’s absolutely gross how he keeps dodging Jokic when they play in denver.
Complete joke. He’s missed 12 games this year and I believe 9 of them were against teams in playoff contention. 9 of them also were on the road. He was too scared he didn’t even come to sit in the bench with his team until late in the 4th quarter.

Dude will never win anything but individual awards. Such a weak competitor. Ducks real competition and disappears in the playoffs