***2023 GB Packers Thread***

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
What does it matter who I root for?

Ya'll are stalking my profile like I care. It isn't about me at all. I hadn't even thought about what was on my profile in 15 years when i put a bit of info on there. If you have to know I have no NBA team, put Bulls because they had an ISU player on their roster. Now I updated to Indiana because of Haliburton, bcuz that is only thing I spend time watching NBA. I have a different occupation since college as well, but never occurred to me to come on here and change it.

I'm a Cowboys fan whose fiancé is a Packers fan. Came here to point out one thing I found incredibly stupid, its plain and simple: the national narrative around GB that a lot of the fanbase bought into. My fiancé even found it silly acting that a namebrand franchise like the Packers are being talked about like they are the Carolina Panthers. She sure expected them to win the NFC North & make the playoffs this year.

Disagree and flame all you want. It's silly and I'll never go into a season with my NFL team not expecting them to make playoffs. Most NFL teams should, unless they are truly poverty franchises. But when they have the history of winning that DAL, GB, SF, etc. These are the NYY, BOS, LAD of football. We should not pretend like they're the Seattle Mariners.

• Dumb
  • Haha
Reactions: Cyched and ICCYFAN

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
One of my adult sons called to talk about the game last night and brought up a good point - this late season run and playoff victory simply can't give LaFleur the idea to retain Joe Barry as Defensive Coordinator - he has to be fired!

We have too many FIRST ROUND draft picks on the defensive side of the ball to be so inconsistent: Kenny Clark, Devonte Wyatt, Lukas Van Ness, Quay Walker, Rashan Gary, Jaire Alexander, Eric Stokes & Darnell Savage. How can a defense with that much talent get beat by the Falcons, Broncos and Giants (Tommy Devito), forced to hold on for dear life by the hapless Panthers? It's the scheme.

Year after year, the Packers have massive offenses, featuring outstanding QB play surrounded by a hodge podge of mid and late round draft picks. Year after year, the defense and / or special teams lets us down and we tumble out.

While our rookie PK continues to miss extra points, Rich Bisaccia has ST upgraded to the point they're not a glaring deficiency. That leaves the D, largely responsible for most of the 8 losses this season. Joe Barry must be terminated regardless of how the playoffs end up...

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
I love the Packers and hate the Cowboys. Making the playoffs was unreal. If u said we would make the playoffs at the start of the year, I would have laughed at you. To take the Cowgirls out is beyond my wildest dreams.
You forgot to say wet dreams.

What a beautiful cold monday today is. Congrats to all my fellow packer fans in here. Looks like Love is taking the next step!

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Also guys, don't let a cowboys fan diminish your happiness today. Every year I see it's "their year" on social media and every year it's the same ole choke story. It's probably the only time where I enjoy Stephen A Smith because I know he'll troll cowboys fans. I'm not a hater, in fact I have Dak on my dynasty team, it's just they do this to themselves and write their own narrative.

So bask in the gravy train and enjoy it. I go into Saturday with no expectations and know that if GB wins, I will be uber happy, if Brock and 9er's win, I will still be happy for them.

• Dumb
Reactions: Erik4Cy and NWICY

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Youngest team in football and low expectations has made for a stress free season for once. Just enjoying it and torn that we play Brock’s 49ers… but Go Pack Go!
Youngest team in NFL to win a playoff game since the NFC / AFC merger in 1970, with the third most "dead money" in the league. That's quite an accomplishment! Interestingly, the two teams with more dead money that the Packers also made the playoffs, namely the Bucs and Rams.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
I hope I’m wrong but my gut tells me this is the end of the line for this season’s Packers. Having said that, nobody knows what Purdy is capable of better than Cyclone fans. If he has one of his head up his @ss days like Senior season EIU or OSU, the Packers can prevail. I’ll be relaxed, expecting the worst but hoping Jordan Love stays red hot, giving us a chance at the end. Go Pack Go!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I hope I’m wrong but my gut tells me this is the end of the line for this season’s Packers. Having said that, nobody knows what Purdy is capable of better than Cyclone fans. If he has one of his head up his @ss days like Senior season EIU or OSU, the Packers can prevail. I’ll be relaxed, expecting the worst but hoping Jordan Love stays red hot, giving us a chance at the end. Go Pack Go!

He beat OSU in 2021.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
U are not a Packer fan. Also Brock winning the Super Bowl will do nothing for Iowa State. It will do something for our fans knowing our guy won finally. However, it will do nothing for our Iowa State team. Go Pack
You are so wrong. Bookmarked.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
What’s your measurement of success? Has Texas Tech benefited from the two Super Bowls won by Pat Mahomes? If yes, please illustrate how…

I'm not sure if there was ever a correlation but today imo it's more about the arms race of locker room shwag etc. and the 'guys in the pros' thing is more of a result of good football teams.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I’m old so games and seasons flow together to me. A quick look indicates Purdy threw 3 fourth quarter picks in a close loss to Oklahoma State in 2019. Thanks for keeping me honest! Go Pack Go!

Yeah and they had some weirdness in Stillwater in 2020 too.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
As I wander around this morning, I want to convince myself the Packers can compete in this game. Then I keep coming back to Christian McCaffrey coming out of the backfield versus Quay Walker or De'Vondre Campbell. If not CMC, then George Kittle up the seam versus those two jokers. Have we had a MLB since Nick Barnett who could cover AND make tackles for loss? Don't you dare say A.J. Hawk, who couldn't cover me out of the backfield and was the king of making tackles six yards downfield! I just don't know how we "win" at those two matchups, especially with Purdy adept at finding them when pressured.

Assuming Alexander and Stokes are nicked up, we have Valentine and Ballentine versus Samuel and Aiyuk - all I can visualize is a a barrage of penalty flags for PI and defensive holding. Woof.

I don't think Joe Barry can come up with a plan to slow the 49ers, so Love will have to be near perfect, Purdy will need to give us a couple gifts and we hold on for dear life in a shoot-out. That'd be fun...

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
As I wander around this morning, I want to convince myself the Packers can compete in this game. Then I keep coming back to Christian McCaffrey coming out of the backfield versus Quay Walker or De'Vondre Campbell. If not CMC, then George Kittle up the seam versus those two jokers. Have we had a MLB since Nick Barnett who could cover AND make tackles for loss? Don't you dare say A.J. Hawk, who couldn't cover me out of the backfield and was the king of making tackles six yards downfield! I just don't know how we "win" at those two matchups, especially with Purdy adept at finding them when pressured.

Assuming Alexander and Stokes are nicked up, we have Valentine and Ballentine versus Samuel and Aiyuk - all I can visualize is a a barrage of penalty flags for PI and defensive holding. Woof.

I don't think Joe Barry can come up with a plan to slow the 49ers, so Love will have to be near perfect, Purdy will need to give us a couple gifts and we hold on for dear life in a shoot-out. That'd be fun...

Yeah I agree. I just don’t see us winning or being real competitive. Have to start good to have a chance.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron