NFL: ***2023 San Francisco 49ers***

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Friend, your coach is letting you down more than the team itself. The botched punt hurts, but you have the leagues leading rusher in the backfield, and you’ve called one run play the entire 3rd ******* quarter
It's all-encompassing, Shanahan included.

I watched my team win their first five Super Bowl appearances. I don't want to watch their SB record go from 5-0 to 5-3 after tonight.

Reactions: RagingCloner

ghyland7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2012
This one is 10000% on shanahan... Spagnola outcalled him, plain and simple.

Too many headscratching calls (see, e.g., the entire third quarter).

Moody missed a PAT, sure. Brock missed a few throws (and had quite a few tipped). Shanahan just completely lost his mind in the third quarter. It's pretty obvious that Reid is just a better playcaller than Shanahan, and it's too bad.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Well, I'll wrap up this thread tomorrow with some articles and odds n ends. It was a (mostly) fun season to spend here. 274 pages, nearly 5500 posts, a quarter million+ views, and only two three people put on mute.
Thanks to everyone who made this thread a fun place to be. :):bugle:

Last edited:

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Shanahan just completely lost his mind in the third quarter. It's pretty obvious that Reid is just a better playcaller than Shanahan, and it's too bad.
Yeah, but Reid was the guy who could never win the big game for a long time. Of course getting the GOAT at QB helped that a lot. Shanahan is still in his early 40s. He could coach for another 20 years easily. He'll get better.

ghyland7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2012
Yeah, but Reid was the guy who could never win the big game for a long time. Of course getting the GOAT at QB helped that a lot. Shanahan is still in his early 40s. He could coach for another 20 years easily. He'll get better.
Definitely, I think there's a good chance they'll make it back in the next few seasons.

I think it was just pretty clear that Shanahan kinda blew it this game. It's annoying that the narrative is going to be "Brock Purdy can't get it done" from talking heads now when like.. watching the game, there weren't that many things he really did wrong or poorly. sometimes the defense calls good plays. the same goes for the 49ers d in the first half against the chiefs, too.

I think mahomes had a couple of nice plays (the 4th down run) but he also had that big interception. I feel like he didn't play exceptionally well, in the same way that he's played exceptionally (like a few years ago in that AFC championship vs the Bills).

IMO this game came down mostly to just Shanahan getting in his own head during that 3rd quarter and trying to get too cute with calls.

On the plus side, they have a pretty good cap situation for gearing up for next year... and if they make it again, hopefully their 2nd best defensive player doesn't get hurt in the first quarter, and hopefully two of their top targets (kittle, deebo) don't go down.

Reactions: quasistellar