NFL: ***2023 San Francisco 49ers***

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Vikings fan here but 100% rooting for Brock and Niners like it was ISU last night.

Unfortunately the other team isn't just going to give you the win. The muffed punt return, the missed extra point, and porous defense the last couple of drives just couldn't give the Niners enough cushion. I thought Brock kept them in it, made some great plays, kept plays alive, and did the best he could despite running for his life a few times. My heart broke for him last night. Hope he gets another shot. I can't think of a more deserving player.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

I'm pretty sure you could see on the broadcast Brock shake his head and say "he was open". If that happens in a different part of the game he may have tried to make Jones miss and make a play. But in that spot I think it made sense to throw it away and take the 3. You didn't want Mahommes only having to get into field goal range.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
I'm pretty sure you could see on the broadcast Brock shake his head and say "he was open". If that happens in a different part of the game he may have tried to make Jones miss and make a play. But in that spot I think it made sense to throw it away and take the 3. You didn't want Mahommes only having to get into field goal range.
He made the right choice to throw it away. The line f’ed up and didn’t block arguably one of the best d linemen in the sport.

Reactions: putsky

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
He made the right choice to throw it away. The line f’ed up and didn’t block arguably one of the best d linemen in the sport.
Jones should have been MVP. I didn’t watch who got it but I’m guessing it was Mahomes. If SF won, I was thinking Jennings was getting it.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Looking ahead, it will be interesting to see who they resign. I'm assuming Chase Young will not be resigned, and they likely will resign Aiyuk.

Gotta draft a RT in the first round, then maybe a corner in the 2nd (TJ Tampa, anyone?).

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Looking ahead, it will be interesting to see who they resign. I'm assuming Chase Young will not be resigned, and they likely will resign Aiyuk.

Gotta draft a RT in the first round, then maybe a corner in the 2nd (TJ Tampa, anyone?).
Young was a mercenary this year and done. They will go with Oline, corners, and add linebackers and TEs for depth I would believe. Will they keep Darnold or free up cap space there?

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
49ers players admitting in postgame that they didn’t know the new OT rules and just figured if they scored a TD they won. And Chiefs players said they were going for 2 had both teams scored a TD. Just further proof that taking the ball first in OT with this new system was a boneheaded decision.

Reactions: clonehome

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
49ers players admitting in postgame that they didn’t know the new OT rules and just figured if they scored a TD they won. And Chiefs players said they were going for 2 had both teams scored a TD. Just further proof that taking the ball first in OT with this new system was a boneheaded decision.
Shananan knew so that's all that matters, but it's still a very questionable choice IMO. He said they wanted the ball third, to be able to win, but if that's the case just go for two after you score after being on defense first.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think they need to be consistent on the rules and have regular season be the same as post season except the tie option. Would make it cleaner. Unless the Super Bowl rules were the same as the regular season but i thought if the receiving team scored a TD during the regular season it was over.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Shananan knew so that's all that matters, but it's still a very questionable choice IMO. He said they wanted the ball third, to be able to win, but if that's the case just go for two after you score after being on defense first.
It was a silly choice to take the ball first, because KC knows taking the field that everything is 4 downs to pick up a first down. It's hard to stop any team that is willing to go all four downs instead of 3 and punt.

• Winner
Reactions: Jer and cyguy9320

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Jones should have been MVP. I didn’t watch who got it but I’m guessing it was Mahomes. If SF won, I was thinking Jennings was getting it.

Jones was pedestrian all game. That play (though huge) was one of the few things he did all game. Karlaftis was better than Jones was. It's too bad it can't go to a unit/units as I thought the Chiefs back 7 were the stars of the game. The coverage was fantastic all game long.

Agreed on Jennings. That's who I thought would get it as well.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
There’s pros and cons to both obviously, but to me, easily the biggest advantage is knowing what you have to do with the ball on your possession. Changes how you call plays and all that jazz. Him saying he wanted the ball third is loser talk. Only an advantage to have the ball third if it gets to a third possession and so much has to happen for that to happen

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Articles to browse through about the Super Bowl and end of the season:

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
And some more:

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
And more yet: