2024 NFL coaching carousel (McCarthy is staying!)

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I don't understand why these NFL teams just hire recycled guys who have failed as a head coach before.

Maybe Morris will be different this time but teams seem to always do this stuff.
Don't know, but Dan Quinn was a hot name until Dallas flamed out in the playoffs. He was successful at Atlanta but got canned after and 0-5 start in 2020. Even still, he left there with a winning record. Morris was the interim coach at the end of 2020 and they choose not to give him a shot at the HC gig going with Smith instead. Maybe they were looking for some who has HC experience and was familiar with the organization and a little bit of maybe we should have tried this three years ago.

FLYINGCYCLONE

Aug 27, 2022
LuVerne Iowa
I suppose Harbaugh wanted to coach where he played was the reason he left the pro job he had. He didn’t fail at Michigan, but he won’t be going back to the college game for a long time.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
I don't understand why these NFL teams just hire recycled guys who have failed as a head coach before.

Maybe Morris will be different this time but teams seem to always do this stuff.
Both Belichick and Pete Carroll (twice actually) were recycled coaches who failed in their first stints.

A good coach can work out in a new situation with different circumstances. That said, I don’t really get the Morris hire.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013

Some guys just need another go around. Learning from mistakes the first time around, if they do, could be helpful. Maybe Morris is one of those guys.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Dan Quinn new coach for Commanders

This has the “we couldn’t get the coach we really wanted (Ben Johnson) so instead we’re hiring high profile and hopefully weakening a rival in the process” stench all over it.

I don’t think this is necessarily a great hire, and the only things I really like about it is it in fact does weaken the Cowboys and it ensures the Commanders are a mediocre at best team.

• Winner
Reactions: cycloner29

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Appears Belichick not getting a gig this hiring season.

Everyone seems to think that the Lions OC Ben Johnson is getting the Washington gig.

That's crazy. You know he still wants to coach to get all time wins record. Yes he won in NE because of Brady but it wasn't all because of him.