34,732 Enrolled This Fall at Iowa State

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
I was below 245. For two reasons.

My class ranking was in the bottom 50% (With almost 450 students!) even though I had a 3.1 in High School. To be in the top 25% of our class you had to have a 3.9 or higher. Which caused my high school to change their grading scale dramatically.

They didn't accept all of my credits because I went to a trade school attached to my high school for half the day. None of those classes counted for the RAI score.

I was only a 3.0 in HS but scored very highly on the ACT which ISU was good in ISU's eyes. I also went to Iowa later on and found the admissions process at the business program be somewhat confusing

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Iowa also has the highest 4 year graduation rate of the 3 state schools

I did a co-op one semester and summer at ISU at a huge company and out of close to 18 co-ops there, maybe 2-3 were from Iowa, 10-12 from ISU, and the other 5 were from Michigan State/Vandy.

I know co-ops for ISU students are very normal.

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
Engineering is accepted upon admission. Also, the Ag program is not a joke. I think people not affiliated with that might view it that way.

No one is saying the Ag program is a joke. I've been the Ag field for nearly 20 years now.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Suppose ISU may have more people in curriculums that are for many five years such as engineering (8k) and architecture. That would lead to a lower score for four year graduation yet be okay for six year graduation evaluation.

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
Just checked it out. Last year's 2013 report on 6-year graduation rates shows Iowa ahead of Iowa State by a small percentage (69.6% to 68.0%).

However, the 2012 report showed Iowa State ahead of Iowa (70.4% to 69.8%).

It seems to me like we are pretty similar in terms of 6-year grad rates.

Numbers:
http://www.regents.iowa.gov/Meetings/DocketMemos/14Memos/March2014/0314_ESAC03.pdf

The numbers are so close and they fluctuate year by year, so probably not worth using in any debate

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
BS probably meant Bachelor of Science.
Not sure where that fits in Design, since I don't know the design majors that we offer, but that would fit the other two he mentioned.

BFA or BArch and I don't know what is used for industrial design type programs. It's been a few years

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
I'm not saying you are. I honestly am not sure how it is perceived to others completely outside of Ag.

Ag research and technology is vastly underrepresented when it comes to school rankings. Land grant schools often get a raw deal in that regard, especially since plant genetics and so on are at the forefront of innovation and are a great benefit to society.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
The numbers are so close and they fluctuate year by year, so probably not worth using in any debate

That's the entire point; UI and ISU are essentially equal at 6-year rates, so UI's superiority in the 4-year rate is likely due to ISU students being in programs that take longer, but still graduating nonetheless.

sleestakCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 2, 2013
When doing these evaluations, you really need to look at actual degrees granted rather than number of students enrolled in a particular program. Lots of people start in STEM but never get a degree in a STEM field.

According to the 2012 data...

Iowa State...4881 bachelor degrees awarded.
2152 in STEM
44%
9% in visual and performing arts/architecture/ID/etc

53% of Iowa State's degrees awarded are in fields where it can be pretty difficult to finish in 4 yearS because of co-ops, 5 year programs, difficult classes, etc

Iowa
4351 bachelor degrees awarded.
1417 in STEM
33%
6% in visual and performing arts/architecture/ID/etc

39% at U Iowa.

The distribution of degrees granted absolutely helps to explain why U Iowa has a higher 4 year grad rate.

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
They are two different schools with completely different focus areas. Iowa State University of Science and Technology is named appropriately.

ISU likely will score higher in engineering, statistics and other similar sciences. Iowa probably will rate higher in biological sciences (due to med school) and their actuarial science program is top notch..One of the top 30-40 in the country I think. Iowa's probably a little more established in the business school department, but I think ISU is slowly building up a pretty good business school. My bro-in-law just graduated from the business program with a CPA, it took him 5 years or close to 160 credits. It irks me somewhat to see ISU ranked behind schools like MN or Illinois in vet medicine though. That could have changed over the years since I last checked though

Iowa is pretty strong in the social sciences (economics) and fine arts (very strong) and business programs, but I think it's main strength is in the graduate programs..especially health, medicine and law.

Last edited:

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
When I went to school they set us up in the gym. We slept on cots until we started a chapter of the Lambda Lambda Lambda fraternity. Man did we have some fun with the Omega Mu sorority!

Sure we had a nasty scrape with the Alpha Betas and some guys on the football team, but once we won the greek games we were in!

I still miss Booger and Poindexter! Great guys

Lamar is that you?!

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Ag research and technology is vastly underrepresented when it comes to school rankings. Land grant schools often get a raw deal in that regard, especially since plant genetics and so on are at the forefront of innovation and are a great benefit to society.

This. And anyone who thinks those genetics classes are easy has never taken one. Holy ****, that stuff blows.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
2015 Enrollment should be out sometime this week.

They've said 35K+... Hopefully above MIZZOU (35,411) in 2014. We will see.

They had to report it on Friday (10th day of class), I think they were thinking just shy of 36k.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Campus is way overcrowded. It just doesn't seem as bad as last year because the weather has been nice. I can't wait for this winter... The orange route will be unridable.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by mjacobs

Campus is way overcrowded. It just doesn't seem as bad as last year because the weather has been nice. I can't wait for this winter... The orange route will be unridable.

Don't worry. There will be a ton of Freshman that will drop out as the year goes on or don't go to class.

It's kind of jarring to be reading through a resurrected thread and come across name changes, where the name goes back & forth between the post and the quoted post...sort of like Fitzy/Jake is caught in a time warp...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron