***#5 Iowa State at #9 Missouri (Wednesday, 6:30)***

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
So, there's a lot of discussion about the late stall call. Which seems like it's rare but mostly justified in this case. But, if we were Missouri fans, we'd be screaming for the next week about the non-pin at 125. From the camera's angle it looked like Kysen was pinned for 10+ seconds. Anyone know how that gets missed or why it wasn't called?
It kind of looked like Kysen's shoulder was sitting on Surtin in a way it would've been hard for him to be flat. I thought he was pinned too, but tough to tell from the camera angles they had.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
So, there's a lot of discussion about the late stall call. Which seems like it's rare but mostly justified in this case. But, if we were Missouri fans, we'd be screaming for the next week about the non-pin at 125. From the camera's angle it looked like Kysen was pinned for 10+ seconds. Anyone know how that gets missed or why it wasn't called?
I thought so too but we couldn’t see his left shoulder. I assume it was off the mat or on his opponent as often happens in a cradle but his right shoulder was flat as a pancake in the mat.

• Agree
Reactions: Cytasticlone

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
It kind of looked like Kysen's shoulder was sitting on Surtin in a way it would've been hard for him to be flat. I thought he was pinned too, but tough to tell from the camera angles they had.
I agree. There was a way better angle of the cradle from Ramazan that looked like he had the fall but it was probably too quick.

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
I thought so too but we couldn’t see his left shoulder. I assume it was off the mat or on his opponent as often happens in a cradle but his right shoulder was flat as a pancake in the mat.
Okay. That makes sense. I've only been following more closely for a couple years so there's a lot of little things that I just don't know. Like that his shoulder might be resting on the opponent in the cradle. That also makes perfect sense when you figure in Missouri's coaches would have had a better view and didn't throw the brick.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Okay. That makes sense. I've only been following more closely for a couple years so there's a lot of little things that I just don't know. Like that his shoulder might be resting on the opponent in the cradle. That also makes perfect sense when you figure in Missouri's coaches would have had a better view and didn't throw the brick.
I think what the other posters is saying is correct. It looked like a pin to me, but we couldn’t see that other shoulder and it’s possible it was on top of Surtin’s body.

One thing though is you can’t throw the brick and challenge a pin/no pin call.

• Informative
Reactions: Cytasticlone

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
He doesn’t seem like a guy who’s liable for a plateau. Think about how dangerous he will be a couple years from now….
I talked to Kyven Friday night and he was excited for Yonger's development. Says he's a beast in the room that will only get better. Talked a bit with Gabe Greenlee as well. He said Yonger is stupid athletic and has the strongest hips he's ever seen/wrestled against.

Ocy Docy

Oct 26, 2018
Now that I see Mastro is hurt that win doesn’t look as impressive on paper. I think Kysen is struggling a little with strength and length. He’s slick but needs to have the ability to finish shots with either technique or strength. Ranking seems appropriate now

I don't think Mastro got hurt until the Tanner Jordan match, after his match with Terukina. Mastro got his ankle crunched in the final flurry of the 3rd and it took him a while to get up before hobbling off the mat.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Yonger is a lot of fun to watch. I can't wait to see him develop more. The leap he made from last year to this year is outstanding.

He and Ferrari could be an incredible head to head for the next 2 or 3 years. I wish Ferrari was still around this year to gauge YB's progress against a truly elite guy, but you don't need him to see the improvement that's been made.

I talked to Kyven Friday night and he was excited for Yonger's development. Says he's a beast in the room that will only get better. Talked a bit with Gabe Greenlee as well. He said Yonger is stupid athletic and has the strongest hips he's ever seen/wrestled against.

The fact that YB is in the room for Coleman and the hwts to roll with cannot be undersold. You need a high ceiling guy to raise the level of the guys around him, and, well, how high is YB's ceiling?

YB's ceiling:

1645110441925.png

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
He and Ferrari could be an incredible head to head for the next 2 or 3 years. I wish Ferrari was still around this year to gauge YB's progress against a truly elite guy, but you don't need him to see the improvement that's been made.

The fact that YB is in the room for Coleman and the hwts to roll with cannot be undersold. You need a high ceiling guy to raise the level of the guys around him, and, well, how high is YB's ceiling?

YB's ceiling:

View attachment 95733
I attribute a lot of Coleman’s success this year to having Yonger as a partner. Coleman had to make the decision to step up his training and intensity in order to hang with him in the room.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
I attribute a lot of Coleman’s success this year to having Yonger as a partner. Coleman had to make the decision to step up his training and intensity in order to hang with him in the room.

It'll be fun to see what another offseason of dedication can do for Coleman, Yonger, and Schuyler. Yonger will really help them with improving from their feet, and I think Marcus can help Yonger continue to improve his mat wrestling

Reactions: BigD and crablegs

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
Since this is the active thread at the moment... Do we assume television coverage for the Big 12 Championship will be similar to last year? I can't find any updates for 2022. Here's the info from last year for reference:

The first three sessions of the Championship will be distributed on Big 12 Now on ESPN+, while the championship matches will be televised live at 5 p.m. CT on ESPN2. All matches from the Championship will also be available on the ESPN App.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Since this is the active thread at the moment... Do we assume television coverage for the Big 12 Championship will be similar to last year? I can't find any updates for 2022. Here's the info from last year for reference:
No clue but I am curious too and I bet I know who could tell us.

@theshadow

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron