Andie Malloy

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Any update re: today's media day?
CJL said that Andie came to her two weeks ago, said that she was really homesick, unhappy, and wanted a "Baptist-centered education." She said that they will certainly miss her, but they are kinda deep at left OH, so if they were going to have a player leave, that spot is better than some others. There was talk today that Dallas Baptist University could be a likely destination for Malloy.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
CJL said that Andie came to her two weeks ago, said that she was really homesick, unhappy, and wanted a "Baptist-centered education." She said that they will certainly miss her, but they are kinda deep at left OH, so if they were going to have a player leave, that spot is better than some others. There was talk today that Dallas Baptist University could be a likely destination for Malloy.

DBU is either D2 or D3 for volleyball so Malloy would be taking a big step down in competition if she goes there. The other obvious school in play is Baylor but she would likely have to sit out a year and lose a year of eligibility.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I would venture a guess that the 6-2 experiment not going well played into it. It's quite possible Andie prefers to set and was hoping that we'd go to a 6-2 this year.

CJL mentioned today that the 6-2 was still in play without Malloy due to Hudson being so versatile as a setter/DS and the improvement of Goetz as a setter. Goetz left the team in the spring, decided to come back and now she has upped her level of play according to CJL.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
CJL mentioned today that the 6-2 was still in play without Malloy due to Hudson being so versatile as a setter/DS and the improvement of Goetz as a setter. Goetz left the team in the spring, decided to come back and now she has upped her level of play according to CJL.

it's possible that it didn't go well with Malloy and Hudson as the setters. Haven't seen Goetz play much, so that will be interesting to watch how this goes! I'd still like to think it's just what CJL said - she wanted a different education closer to home.

My twitter research says it's safe to say she's going to Dallas Baptist. Very surprised it isn't Baylor.
I'm going to go back to Baylor. She went to high school with a current DBU player, but I think that previous statement is wrong. There is pretty confident talk that she's still going to Baylor, which makes a lot more sense.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

DBU is either D2 or D3 for volleyball so Malloy would be taking a big step down in competition if she goes there. The other obvious school in play is Baylor but she would likely have to sit out a year and lose a year of eligibility.

Thanks guys, interesting stuff. I was wrong in my bet they won't address it. I did look up DBU, they are Div II but very good and, according to their own PR, the Patriots are "Champions for ******" so if you are looking for a religious take on your sports it would be in play but I am still betting Baylor.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
it's possible that it didn't go well with Malloy and Hudson as the setters. Haven't seen Goetz play much, so that will be interesting to watch how this goes! I'd still like to think it's just what CJL said - she wanted a different education closer to home.

My twitter research says it's safe to say she's going to Dallas Baptist. Very surprised it isn't Baylor.

If she is going to DBU, then it's rather obvious to me her decision had nothing or very little to do with CJL and her role on the team at ISU.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Thanks guys, interesting stuff. I was wrong in my bet they won't address it. I did look up DBU, they are Div II but very good and, according to their own PR, the Patriots are "Champions for ******" so if you are looking for a religious take on your sports it would be in play but I am still betting Baylor.

Seriously, ****** is censored? Okay, Christmas minus the mas. :shocked:

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
I wonder whether it's possible to go to Div 2, play for one season and then play for Baylor without losing eligibility?

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I wonder whether it's possible to go to Div 2, play for one season and then play for Baylor without losing eligibility?

I would think that's very possible.....now whether or not you'd want to go through 3 schools in three years is another thing. She may very well find the environment she wants at DBU and stay there.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I would think that's very possible.....now whether or not you'd want to go through 3 schools in three years is another thing. She may very well find the environment she wants at DBU and stay there.
This kinda boggles the mind...Malloy's on her way to becoming a elite national player. Good god, she started for the US Junior National team, playing with athletes from top 5 programs like Stanford, Oregon, Nebraska. I would think boredom would set in at Dallas Baptist, at least on the VB court...

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
This kinda boggles the mind...Malloy's on her way to becoming a elite national player. Good god, she started for the US Junior National team, playing with athletes from top 5 programs like Stanford, Oregon, Nebraska. I would think boredom would set in at Dallas Baptist, at least on the VB court...

just edited my post. I think it's still Baylor. There were some tweets with a current DBU player, but pretty sure they went to high school together. Baylor just makes 1000x more sense, even though they are still a team pretty far below where her talent level could take her.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I am still betting.....
Baylor%20bear%20logo.gif

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
I am still betting.....
Baylor%20bear%20logo.gif

Yes, especially since redcowboy or whoever his name is wrote that we might see her across the net. I guess BU will be her first choice but since CJL doesn't want to release her to play for a conference rival, she might have to go to DBU. I have a feeling that she might take the route of playing for DBU for one season and then go to BU if going directly to BU is impossible.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
I agree that it would boggle the mind to see her go to DBU as her destination. It would mean she is definitely putting faith as the top priority, far ahead of her volleyball career. It would almost certainly take her off the national team track. Even sitting out a year from Division I play could do that. It would be hard to match the player development that occurs on elite teams like ISU and playing against the elite competition.

After reading about some of the stuff that has gone on in Baylor athletics... well, I would not put the responsibility for a Baptist-centered education on the institution or the coaches. I hope she finds what she wants, but it would be unrealistic to expect student-athletes or the environment at Baylor to be much different than any other highly competitive Division I school.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
What the heck is a "Baptist-centered education" anyway? When I was young I asked my family why we were Methodists, and what was a Methodist in the first place? The usual answer was "Methodists are Baptists who can read."

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
Did she not notice that the full name of the university is "Iowa State University of Science and Technology" when she signed-on? Science being one of the key components.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Yes, especially since redcowboy or whoever his name is wrote that we might see her across the net. I guess BU will be her first choice but since CJL doesn't want to release her to play for a conference rival, she might have to go to DBU. I have a feeling that she might take the route of playing for DBU for one season and then go to BU if going directly to BU is impossible.

Yes to Baylor especially with the innuendo in that post about being “badâ€￾ for ISU future Texas recruiting if we didn’t release her. Yup, I am guessing Baylor is where she wants to go and figured we were just going to let her go knock down kill shots against us twice a year.

Didn’t it used to be if you transferred in the Big 12 conference (with release) that you lost a year of eligibility? Big 10 used to be (maybe still is) that you could go to another conference team if released but you couldn’t be on scholarship there. Know that because one of my co-workers daughters was on the Hawk basketball team and transferred to the Gophers and dad was paying tuition (he was happy to do so because she was way happier as a Gopher). I like those conference rules that discourage "poaching".
Ha, volleyball intrigue, who would have thought? :wideeyed: