Andie Malloy

ChiClones

Jun 11, 2013
Chicagoland
Per Division 1 Big 12 transfer policy, she will lose a season of eligibility and sit this year out. Unless they waive it due to "compelling, extenuating circumstances". Either way, I believe she sits this year without question.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Per Division 1 Big 12 transfer policy, she will lose a season of eligibility and sit this year out. Unless they waive it due to "compelling, extenuating circumstances". Either way, I believe she sits this year without question.
I've heard that Malloy was very upfront with CJL about her future, and CJL was also upfront with Andie about not waiving the "sit out" rule.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
Yeah it's pretty ****** to leave your team the last week in July for a fall sport. I hope she at least hinted to CJL that this would be a possibility during spring ball.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
She should sit and lose a year. Fairly clear this was school jumping within the conference and that rules are rules.

Reactions: crash_zone

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
There was an article in the Ames Trib after media day that gives more comments from CJL on Malloy leaving. Some are similar to those already posted, but there are a few more.

Volleyball: Cyclones look to adjust after Malloy transfer | Ames Tribune

For example:
“She seemed pretty sure,” Johnson-Lynch said Thursday at ISU media day. “She wasn’t wavering. She seemed very sure this was what she needed to do.”
“She certainly had a lot of experience,” Johnson-Lynch said. “She would have been competing for a spot just like anybody else.
Johnson-Lynch mentioned Morgan Kuhrt and Ciara Capezio as possible fill-ins for Malloy while senior returner Victoria Hurtt will again seem a lot of time hitting on the left side.
“The good thing is we have a lot of depth in the left side position,” Johnson-Lynch said. “I was telling people, if we’re going to lose someone, that’s probably the position to lose it in because we’ve got some really nice depth in that position.
“We’ve got some very capable players who can step in.”

Johnson-Lynch said she did attempt to dissuade Malloy - who was not granted a full release from her scholarship by ISU – from leaving, but found little chance to convince her to stay.
“I couldn’t in good conscience just say, ‘OK, that’s it,’” Johnson-Lynch said, “but, when I asked her questions, she seemed very sure. And the reasons for her, I felt were very, very sincere. You can’t argue with that. If a person is really, really unhappy, it’s pretty hard to tell them that’s going to change if you don’t believe that it is.
“If you’re homesick, sometimes you can work through that, but her desire to go to a Baptist school, to have a different kind of education, there’s just not a whole lot we can do about that. I feel that she made the right decision, and it’s hard to say that because you want to keep everyone you can, but if they’re miserable or if they’re unhappy then it’s not going to work out.”

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Just learned that Malloy and Baylor are petitioning for a third year of eligibility after she sits out this year - as of now she has two years left to play.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Just learned that Malloy and Baylor are petitioning for a third year of eligibility after she sits out this year - as of now she has two years left to play.

**** Baylor and their green ****in' bear. I already don't like them going back to that 2000 basketball game there in Waco. I suppose they will claim religious persecution or some other crap and NCAA and Big 12 will buy it because, you know, it's a Texas school.

PS: Did I mention I hate Baylor?

PSS: No, really, I do hate Baylor.

ChiClones

Jun 11, 2013
Chicagoland

Who has to sign that petition? (rhetorical) Just by presenting such a petition shows her intentions were not just about education. No way that gets approved.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
At least she'll be sitting out a year. Like I said before, my daughters friend made the in-conference transfer from MU to BU a few years ago. She was granted a release because she Kreklow recruited his niece at her setter position. As a result, she was able to step in and play right away.

A big difference was she did it at the semester, not right before the start of the season. I suspect she'll get her third year, and I'm OK with that as long as she sits out his year.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Why are there rules? This is no hardship case, it's her choice. I see no reason to grant her another year.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
A big difference was she did it at the semester, not right before the start of the season. I suspect she'll get her third year, and I'm OK with that as long as she sits out his year.

No way she should get an extra year in this situation. There was no hardship and she left the team during fall camp. If she wanted to play right away she could have dropped to D-II or D-III. Situations like this are the reason the transfer rules are in place.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
No way she should get an extra year in this situation. There was no hardship and she left the team during fall camp. If she wanted to play right away she could have dropped to D-II or D-III. Situations like this are the reason the transfer rules are in place.

I would love to see the petition. Barring some kind of family issue that hasn't yet been disclosed, it seems that she would have to throw ISU under the bus, at least in some part, to make any kind of hardship case.

ChiClones

Jun 11, 2013
Chicagoland
I know this is slightly different, but if the NCAA denied ISU bball player Okoro's request to play immediately for Rutgers, they are not going to allow very clear transfer rules to be bypassed. Rutgers transfer denied hardship waiver by NCAA - College Basketball News | FOX Sports on MSN . The beauty here is that this has nothing to do with CJL now. It's all in the hands of the NCAA and Big XII, so either way we come out of this smelling like a rose, just down a quality player.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011

Exactly. A rule is a rule. Not surprising that they are trying though; it would always be worth a try. Individually speaking, you'd like to see a talented young player not lose a year -- these years of college athletics are special and go too fast. But, it was her decision. She could have stayed at ISU if she didn't want to lose a year.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
I know this is slightly different, but if the NCAA denied ISU bball player Okoro's request to play immediately for Rutgers, they are not going to allow very clear transfer rules to be bypassed. Rutgers transfer denied hardship waiver by NCAA - College Basketball News | FOX Sports on MSN . The beauty here is that this has nothing to do with CJL now. It's all in the hands of the NCAA and Big XII, so either way we come out of this smelling like a rose, just down a quality player.

This has nothing to do with the NCAA, she is already sitting out this year as a transfer for the NCAA. They are petitioning the Big 12 to reinstate the year she loses because she transferred from one B12 school to another (a conference rule). If they don't, she will be a junior next year in both academic and athletic status vs a junior academically, and red-shirt sophomore athletically.

crash_zone

Apr 10, 2006
Sioux Falls, SD
B12 better not reinstate the year. If the coach of the B12 school doesn't think it should happen, I'd hope the other B12 teams respect that and don't give the year back. They need to remember - one of their players could jump ship a few weeks before the season starts and the shoe could be on the other foot. Go out of conference or down a league if you don't want to lose the year AND sit. She didn't have to go to Baylor.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
They are petitioning the Big 12 to reinstate the year she loses because she transferred from one B12 school to another (a conference rule).
That's right, and something must have happened after she left Ames. She apparently acknowledged, and accepted, that she would have two years left to play VB.

Kitkat

Apr 10, 2009
What the heck is a "Baptist-centered education" anyway? When I was young I asked my family why we were Methodists, and what was a Methodist in the first place? The usual answer was "Methodists are Baptists who can read."

Well, maybe, but I was raised as a Methodist, and my folks always called us Anglicans who liked to have fun.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
CJL said that Andie came to her two weeks ago, said that she was really homesick, unhappy, and wanted a "Baptist-centered education." She said that they will certainly miss her, but they are kinda deep at left OH, so if they were going to have a player leave, that spot is better than some others. There was talk today that Dallas Baptist University could be a likely destination for Malloy.

Where I come from, wanting a more "Baptist-centered education" means that she didn't like all the drinking here.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Where I come from, wanting a more "Baptist-centered education" means that she didn't like all the drinking here.

Now that I think about the actual beer brands I was drinking back then, I'm not sure I actually like the drinking here either.
:jimlad:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron