NFL: Andrew Luck RETIRING

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
He's been dealing with "real injuries" since 2015 - lacerated kidney, abdominal tear, torn shoulder labrum, concussion(s), the general wear and tear of the position...this leg injury that had kept him out since spring just wasn't healing, and it ended up being the final straw. I would rather have him walk away now than to try and limp through the season without being fully committed. Makes me think of Favre's final season in Minny when they had to beg him to come back and then he sucked because it was obvious that he really didn't want to be there.
He had those issues in March. The leg injury isn’t bad enough for a lot of people. I mean I personally don’t give two craps what he does but people need to understand both sides perspectives. I totally understand why Luck is doing it. I also can totally understand why Colts fans can be mad.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
He had those issues in March. The leg injury isn’t bad enough for a lot of people. I mean I personally don’t give two craps what he does but people need to understand both sides perspectives. I totally understand why Luck is doing it. I also can totally understand why Colts fans can be mad.

He had the calf strain in March and by late August it still hasn't healed. Maybe he took that as a sign that his body was wearing down and just wasn't going to recover they way he wanted/needed it to in order for him to be effective and enjoy the game. It sucks and I get people being unhappy with the timing but that guy has gutted out some bad injuries and absorbed a ton of punishment and played great football for the organization. Anyone who booed him at the game last night can eat a **** and grow the **** up.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
He had the calf strain in March and by late August it still hasn't healed. Maybe he took that as a sign that his body was wearing down and just wasn't going to recover they way he wanted/needed it to in order for him to be effective and enjoy the game. It sucks and I get people being unhappy with the timing but that guy has gutted out some bad injuries and absorbed a ton of punishment and played great football for the organization. Anyone who booed him at the game last night can eat a **** and grow the **** up.
This is the part I disagree with. If players can’t take getting boos then they need to grow up too. Booing how it went down is also dramatically different than booing him as a person. Those boos were for how it went down. I think the people criticizing the fans are failing to separate the situation. There are different ways people react to different aspects of this. Almost all are valid.

The ones that do go to far though are if people are going to hate him as a person just because he retired. That goes to far. He is perfectly free to retire and shouldn’t be criticized for retiring. It is fair to criticize how he retired. That’s the distinction that needs to be clear. Just like if I quit right before a big project at work. There isn’t anything inherently wrong with it but my coworkers would be perfectly valid in expressing frustration on how I did it.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
This is the part I disagree with. If players can’t take getting boos then they need to grow up too. Booing how it went down is also dramatically different than booing him as a person. Those boos were for how it went down. I think the people criticizing the fans are failing to separate the situation. There are different ways people react to different aspects of this. Almost all are valid.

The ones that do go to far though are if people are going to hate him as a person just because he retired. That goes to far. He is perfectly free to retire and shouldn’t be criticized for retiring. It is fair to criticize how he retired. That’s the distinction that needs to be clear. Just like if I quit right before a big project at work. There isn’t anything inherently wrong with it but my coworkers would be perfectly valid in expressing frustration on how I did it.

Just curious, when and how would you have had him retire in order to not piss anyone off?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
It seems pretty clear in his post. Not a week and a half before the season starts

That tells me you don't understand the situation. How was he supposed to know in March that the damn leg still wouldn't feel any better five months later?

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
That tells me you don't understand the situation. How was he supposed to know in March that the damn thing still wouldn't feel any better four months later?
I have no opinion, I honestly don't care about the Colts one bit. I was just reading that dudes post

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I have no opinion, I honestly don't care about the Colts one bit. I was just reading that dudes post

Then I'm trying to give you some context. It's not as if he was totally healthy and decided to just say to hell with it and walk away. He's injured now. He's been injured a lot, and the last injury has taken 5+ months to rehab. He made a really difficult decision AFTER he realized that his body just isn't going to respond and recover to the toll its taken anymore. There was no way he could have known that before the draft or free agency. And people can certainly criticize or boo if they want, but those that do don't really understand the full scope of how this all came to be. It's an immature, uneducated reaction to someone making what had to be an impossibly difficult decision.

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
With all the stuff about what football does to people long term it's pretty amazing that there's not more support for someone choosing to walk away while they literally can.

Many of us would love to retire at age 29.

Truth. And it isn't NFL player's themselves ripping on him. I think most of them "get it" or at least aren't spouting off like the idiot talking heads.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Then I'm trying to give you some context. It's not as if he was totally healthy and decided to just say to hell with it and walk away. He's injured now. He's been injured a lot, and the last injury has taken 5+ months to rehab. He made a really difficult decision AFTER he realized that his body just isn't going to respond and recover to the toll its taken anymore. There was no way he could have known that before the draft or free agency. And people can certainly criticize or boo if they want, but those that do don't really understand the full scope of how this all came to be. It's an immature, uneducated reaction to someone making what had to be an impossibly difficult decision.

Luck gave everything he had to the Colts, but had no "real injuries".

• Dumb
Reactions: SpokaneCY

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Like usual people aren’t mad that he is retiring. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. The problem is how it went down. The problem is that he is doing it 3/4 of the way through the preseason without some real injury that changes things. Even then it would have been a lot better if this didn’t come out during the middle of their game.
Just to be clear “he didn’t retire the right way” is a really stupid take.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
How many less season tickets would have been sold this season if Luck had announced this 6 months ago? I'd say quite a bit.

But I have no issue with him doing it when he did. I think he honestly thought he'd be playing this year up until probably a week ago or so.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: jdoggivjc

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
He had those injuries before this offseason. Personally I have no issue with him retiring. Even right now I can understand it. That said people on both sides are being inconsiderate to the other sides perspective.

Someone's health trumps entertainment.

• Winner
Reactions: Macloney and Cyched

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I'm a fringe Colts fan. I'm going to give the booing fans the benefit of the doubt and assume most were booing the moment, not Andrew himself. To find out mid preseason game, 2 weeks before the regular season that your all-pro franchise QB is quitting is quite the nutcup moment.

I disagree. Yes, Colts fans were booing in the moment, but they were clearly booing Andrew himself. In about 30 seconds their fans went from potentially an outside Super Bowl contender to being in the "Tank for Tua" sweepstakes, all because mid game their franchise QB decided to hang it up. And it's not like he did this at the end of the year where the team has time to try to find at least a serviceable replacement, this was 2 weeks from the start of the season and the Colts are scrambling to stopgap. I don't care how classy a team's fans are or what the circumstances are, all fans going to boo. I also think Colts fans, after a few weeks/months, are going to walk back their booing and realize why he did it.

• Winner
Reactions: Urbandale2013

matclone

Nov 13, 2016

1. Luck is obviously the franchise player. The one the team is counting on.
2. He likely intended to play this year, consistent with the team's expectations.
3. He realized in this pre-season that things weren't healing right.
4. There may never be a "right" time in these situations, but better now than after the season started.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron