NFL: Andrew Luck RETIRING

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I get the upsetness behind the ticket sales thing, but if you think every other organization wouldn’t do that (assuming they haven’t been covering it up since spring) INCLUDING ISU, then you live in a very innocent world I’d like to visit.

Was Andrew Luck that popular? I guess I’ve just always thought of Indy/Colts fan as fans of the Colts first.

The other thing I haven’t seen mentioned is how much worse was Luck going to be if he has serious injury problems? Would fans and talking heads be happier if he went out there Game 1 and left the game after one series and just intermittently kept trying to get back and play in games 5, 9, and 14 before shutting it down? Seems dumb. But if Dan ******* Dakich is upset then god ******* dammit I am too.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Was Andrew Luck that popular? I guess I’ve just always thought of Indy/Colts fan as fans of the Colts first.

The other thing I haven’t seen mentioned is how much worse was Luck going to be if he has serious injury problems? Would fans and talking heads be happier if he went out there Game 1 and left the game after one series and just intermittently kept trying to get back and play in games 5, 9, and 14 before shutting it down? Seems dumb. But if Dan ******* Dakich is upset then god ******* dammit I am too.

It would potentially be like Favre in the very end where it was pretty obvious he didn't need to go back out there, except in half the career time.

Jim Brown was like 29, Robert Smith was 28, Barry Sanders was 30 and all were in their prime. Damn millenials?

Reactions: Doc

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I cannot even fathom someone being upset by this. The goal of the vast majority of the adult, working population is to work long enough and hard enough to make enough money that you can stop doing things you have to do and start doing things you want to do. This is especially true when your job involves destroying your body on a daily basis.

He's made enough money for a lifetime, and he strikes me as the type that has it safely tucked away. Plus, as a smart, likeable Stanford graduate, who just so happened to be an NFL Pro-Bowler, I imagine he still has some earning potential in his life.

Good on on him.

Reactions: Acylum

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Season ticket sales aren't Luck's responsibility at all. Now if you want to put some of that on the team being cagey with the seriousness of the injury, trying to sell tickets, that's another story, but season ticket sales isn't likely something that Luck considered or should consider in making this decision. That's a front office problem, not a player problem.

Should be no surprise that Jim Irsay is snakey...

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
His dad secretly used mind control to get him to retire so he can join the XFL. duh.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I thinks it’s funny that a lot of people are saying “he has a degree from stanford he will be fine, he can have a life after football”.

How much money has this guy made in his career?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I thinks it’s funny that a lot of people are saying “he has a degree from stanford he will be fine, he can have a life after football”.

How much money has this guy made in his career?

$97 million

After agents and taxes, he probably walks away with $50 million.

upload_2019-8-26_13-19-10.png

He could have conceivably made a few hundred million more if he payed until like 38.

I am sure he is well aware of that, though.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27460243/sources-colts-recoup-money-luck

Colts are nuts, why wouldn't you recoup any savings you aren't required to pay him? I's sure it is a PR thing but still that's a lot of $ to pay a guy who voluntarily walked away from the game. It's not like you are saying goodbye to a QB who has won MVPs or Super Bowls, this is a guy that played basically 5 healthy seasons.
Because that's what the Lions would do. And in the NFL, the general rule of thumb is that if Detroit thinks it's a good idea, it almost certainly isn't

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Because that's what the Lions would do. And in the NFL, the general rule of thumb is that if Detroit thinks it's a good idea, it almost certainly isn't

Not only that, but you don’t know how he will feel a year from now after sitting out. Why torque him off over what is essentially a drop in the bucket?

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

Colts are nuts, why wouldn't you recoup any savings you aren't required to pay him? I's sure it is a PR thing but still that's a lot of $ to pay a guy who voluntarily walked away from the game. It's not like you are saying goodbye to a QB who has won MVPs or Super Bowls, this is a guy that played basically 5 healthy seasons.

I think they want to be player friendly so they have a better shot at signing guys to augment their solid roster. Indy isn’t the most popular destination.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

Maybe they're keeping the light on for him just in case. They already have his rights through 2021 if he opts to unretire, so why risk alienating him?

And if it isn't that then just look at it as severance pay for so egregiously ******* up the first five years of his career.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron