*** Baylor vs Sparty Cotton Game Thread ***

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'm just glad there were good games or at least games that were decided late today.

Much more enjoyable vs. blowouts.

M3MEPLEASE

Sep 4, 2009
The B1G is having one halfway decent year in the bowl games in the last couple decades and all of the sudden they are puffing out their chests. Amazing.

They are still pathetic. Non conference games show that this year.

Big 12 has been just as pathetic in bowl games in recent years...and I'm pretty sure the Big 10 still has the more recent successful bowl season (2009-2010 with all their top ranked teams winning). And Iowa actually contributed to that by winning the Orange Bowl.

Nothing worse than fans of teams that are completely irrelevant in their conference latching onto their conferences "success" in bowl games. Its like Vanderbilt fans talking SEC smack, you just sound completely silly.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Iowa hasn't played yet...

Iowa is probably my favorite Big Ten team. I seriously hate most of the others due to the media infatuation and Iowa winning means my friends and family are happy.

I'd still rather have the drama and screw jobs of a 4 team playoff than a two team one. I mainly don't like how they abandoned the BCS formula for something drastically more subjective and less transparent. There was no need to change the BCS formula.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Big 12 has been just as pathetic in bowl games in recent years...and I'm pretty sure the Big 10 still has the more recent successful bowl season (2009-2010 with all their top ranked teams winning). And Iowa actually contributed to that by winning the Orange Bowl.

Nothing worse than fans of teams that are completely irrelevant in their conference latching onto their conferences "success" in bowl games. Its like Vanderbilt fans talking SEC smack, you just sound completely silly.

Yep. In reference to ISU's position--it comes down to people talking about a bunch of teams that would beat (and have beaten) ISU by just showing up.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
and Indiana should have beaten Ohio State. Your point?'

TCU was the best team in CFB this year and won't ever get a chance to prove it. Big money wins the beauty pageant again.
Your opinion is as good as mine - my point is contrary to popular belief in this and other threads, TCU didn't exactly dominate everyone in the Big 12, as they had close wins and a close loss.
BTW, Ole Miss isn't close to the team that Mich State is.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Yep. In reference to ISU's position--it comes down to people talking about a bunch of teams that would beat (and have beaten) ISU by just showing up.

Yep, but we still like the sport and can still have an opinion. Unless M3MEPLEASE wants to never ever talk about the NCAA tournament, which I doubt he does.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I don't know, there's something to be said about peeing a game down your leg that bad. It was mistake after mistake after mistake. Michigan State was the better team.

Their complete lack of killer instinct in the 4th is just as much a part of their game as the second and third quarter of total dominance. This game is an example of why the committee had TCU at 3 and Baylor at 6 before the fix was called in. TCU is a more disciplined and balanced team.
May we say better coaching? B12 is 1-4 now in bowls with two to go tomorrow?

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Makes sense. I do think TCU was as deserving as anybody.

I really wish there was just an eight team.
Iowa is probably my favorite Big Ten team. I seriously hate most of the others due to the media infatuation and Iowa winning means my friends and family are happy.

I'd still rather have the drama and screw jobs of a 4 team playoff than a two team one. I mainly don't like how they abandoned the BCS formula for something drastically more subjective and less transparent. There was no need to change the BCS formula.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Part of me has wondered if the bowl season, with its long time off and longer game-slowing media breaks do something to hinder the strength of the big 12, its fast offenses.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yep, but we still like the sport and can still have an opinion. Unless M3MEPLEASE wants to never ever talk about the NCAA tournament, which I doubt he does.

The TCU vs. OSU discussion makes sense. It's relevant and is what keeps interest in the college football playoff.

The B1G vs. B12 discussion is old, tired, and useless.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Makes sense. I do think TCU was as deserving as anybody.

I really wish there was just an eight team.

Agreed here. Anyone have any idea how they would set up the 8 team? Do they have higher seeds host at home a week after the conference championship weekend for the first round -----> 2 Major Bowls ----> N.C. game?

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
Agreed here. Anyone have any idea how they would set up the 8 team? Do they have higher seeds host at home a week after the conference championship weekend for the first round -----> 2 Major Bowls ----> N.C. game?

I think that makes the most sense. I also think we will see that sooner rather than later.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

They had 4 bowls separated out that could have been the first round, but now with 6 I guess that could still be first round, semis then a title game all with those 6 bowls.

I would just like some more transparency and less blatant lying about the criteria. They went out of their way over and over again early in the season saying that teams wouldn't have to be a conference champ, 2 loss teams could be considered, all this...then when they want to dump their #3 team out for no reason they suddenly contradict everything they had been saying. The BCS ranking was so much better for picking teams and would be better for picking 8 teams too, the computer average component without margin of victory kept in check the greed element of college football that the committee is likely specifically designed to cater to.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

Do most B10 schools have heated fields? I remember this being an issue when the Bears had to play at Minnesota's stadium after the metrodome roof collapsed a few years ago. Minnesota's stadium wasn't set up to have games played in December and beyond, from the field to even some of the concession stands. They upgraded those things before the Vikings moved there full time this past year, but I'm not sure all B10 schools would be able to host home games in the middle of Decembers without some stadium renovations.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Why do all these Hoks care so much about MSU? They didn't even play them this year, so MSU might as well be in a different conference altogether. As a matter of fact, if Iowa had to play MSU and OSU this year, they wouldn't be going to a bowl game either. And before any stupid Hok trolls say that they could have beaten those teams, may I remind them that they could not beat a 2-10 team AT HOME.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
They had 4 bowls separated out that could have been the first round, but now with 6 I guess that could still be first round, semis then a title game all with those 6 bowls.

I would just like some more transparency and less blatant lying about the criteria. They went out of their way over and over again early in the season saying that teams wouldn't have to be a conference champ, 2 loss teams could be considered, all this...then when they want to dump their #3 team out for no reason they suddenly contradict everything they had been saying. The BCS ranking was so much better for picking teams and would be better for picking 8 teams too, the computer average component without margin of victory kept in check the greed element of college football that the committee is likely specifically designed to cater to.

A. The Bowls: are fan bases going to be able to afford going to 3 bowls with all of the logistics involved? That's why I'd assume they play at one or another's home field in the 1st round. Separately, it feels like 3 bowls like that already dilutes the bowl situation even more than it is (which I thought was hard to do).

B. Didn't the Sugar Bowl feature something like #15 Michigan and #13 Virginia Tech one year? I realize the BCS had a formula, but I also know that feels more like two teams with big markets vs. 8 top teams.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
There's no sugar coating that the B12 sucks but I do take some comfort that the B12 sucks this year and it still went 3-1 vs the B1G.

Help Support Us

Become a patron