Big 12 Conference Realignment

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
I'm surprised the Arizonas are so low, but I guess that's what Pac 12 Network does.
I don’t recall seeing any Arizona games on tv other than 2 this year in the past 5-10 years. ASU I can recall some late night after dark games.

TT is the one that stands out to me. They are on regular networks just as much as everyone else and they have a huge alumni base.

• Agree
Reactions: RezClone

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Looking at this i feel like we jumped the gun taking all 4 following OuTs announcing. Colorado will only be a temporary blip on the radar then fall back to nothing soon enough. I wonder if we needed all 4 to secure stability. Hindsight Cincinnati/BYU would of lessen the overall watering down. Then grabbing Arizona plus Colorado would of given us a stronger 12.

Adding the 4 after OU/UT stabilized to conference and allowed us to ad ASU, AZ, CO, and UT. We'd be in the Mountain West if it wasn't for them

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Adding the 4 after OU/UT stabilized to conference and allowed us to ad ASU, AZ, CO, and UT. We'd be in the Mountain West if it wasn't for them

The one question is Houston, the last one decided on. We had stabilized.

I was originally against it, but came around to it if as a defensive move. Some in the PAC were open to Rice, let alone Houston. The rumors that most of the PAC were interested in TCU and Houston that summer were valid imo

But the PAC was more dead than I thought. USC was going to deny expansion regardless, and once they left, it didn’t matter. The PAC was such a zombie conference they couldn’t even invite SDSU and passed on a deal.

But what school now won’t have spot? Imo we’ll still have 8 spots for ACC schools. Stanford won’t join Big 12 and Cal isn’t wanted. Tulane? USF? I’d rather have Houston than Oregon St or WSU

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
It also destabilized the Pac12 by taking expansion candidates off the table. BYU would have been very interested, and possibly Houston.

This is assuming all remaining members got on the same page (which is a big assumption), but it limited them to essentially SDSU and SMU, Which alone did nothing for the networks but it might have if they could package them with BYU and UH. The key was getting the pro rata "guarantee" (more or less) on the 31.7 mil figure for the 4 corner schools.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
In my opinion, this chart reflects teams that have been relatively good, playing in higher profile games on larger networks (ESPN, ABC, FOX). The one exception being Colorado of course because of the 2023 PRIME effect.
Yeah the raw numbers are pretty meaningless. What channel games are on has a huge impact and needs to be controlled for.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
You want to slap John Higgins so hard it messes up his hair
LOL. What were some of Higgins more, ahem, shining moments, in your opinion, as and Iowa State fan?

I take it he had a number of calls that were not so popular? Was he equivocal or did he favor certain teams?

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
There are quite a few. The one that sticks out the most and I forget what year, but Tim Barnes was absolutely mugged at half court by an OSU player. And I’m talking full on grabbed and bear hugged. Barnes finally smacked the OSU player away and tried to drive to the basket. Higgins decided that Barnes should be called for a foul and gave the ball back to OSU. Hilton went absolutely ape ****

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
LOL. What were some of Higgins more, ahem, shining moments, in your opinion, as and Iowa State fan?

I take it he had a number of calls that were not so popular? Was he equivocal or did he favor certain teams?
There are quite a few. The one that sticks out the most and I forget what year, but Tim Barnes was absolutely mugged at half court by an OSU player. And I’m talking full on grabbed and bear hugged. Barnes finally smacked the OSU player away and tried to drive to the basket. Higgins decided that Barnes should be called for a foul and gave the ball back to OSU. Hilton went absolutely ape ****

Reactions: t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Maybe the new AZ football coach can help hire the new AD?

Wait a minute, that sounds very backwards.

Yes, glad ISU situation is good and stable, and at a critical time.

Reactions: ISUalways