Big 12 Conference Realignment

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Seems like this goes way beyond athletic revenues and expenses. $240M is a huge number. A $20M annual difference in expected vs actual payout from P12 TV rights seems like a drop in the bucket here.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I have a feeling we may find out something was illegal / fraud in that 240 million.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I really wish our conference (and own AD) understand that is one of the best 2nd tier rivalries in the league (behind Bedlam, Red River) and worked to protect it. These made-up, forced rivalries like Iowa vs Neb just don't compare (it only had the viewers because of the time/lack of competition).
It doesn't bother me, but why get rid of an easy draw, this game is a good draw for whatever reason

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
I really wish our conference (and own AD) understand that is one of the best 2nd tier rivalries in the league (behind Bedlam, Red River) and worked to protect it. These made-up, forced rivalries like Iowa vs Neb just don't compare (it only had the viewers because of the time/lack of competition).
It might be a short rivalry, but here in Western Iowa both teams fans do hate each other. Iowa p#### fans and Cornfusker entitled fans.

Reactions: Jer

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
It might be a short rivalry, but here in Western Iowa both teams fans do hate each other. Iowa p#### fans and Cornfusker entitled fans.
To be fair, it was a bad example because the proximity and type of fans make it a decent rivalry over time. A better example of **** is ISU vs BYU.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I think just in general that good matchups with new Big 12 teams in great time slots are going to do very well.

Maybe never as well as Texas or Michigan would in those same networks/times but just as good or better than the middle and bottom sized SEC/Big Ten fandoms. Probably better actually viewership than the vast majority of ACC...which makes me think we should look very closely if we even want to expand with any ACC leftovers after they get raided.

With KSU/ISU you have history and geographic rivals, but you also have two teams that are right on the edge of top 25 and actually in top 25 by most computer metrics. Good teams. Iowa is a good team but plays a style that is not fun to watch outside of their fan base and even within their fan base. Nebraska is not a good team, no longer a known brand, and today's players were elementary school kids that last time they were decent. If Nebraska was still a good team I think they are a naturally interesting rival with Iowa even though it's only a little over a decade old, they just aren't holding up their end of it. It's the same reason ISU wasn't a good rival with Iowa for the 80s and much of the 90s.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I grew up an Iowa fan in 80s/90s on the IA/Neb border (even lived in Neb for 5 years) then went to ISU.

I already hated Nebraska quite a bit without the Hawkeyes even playing them so it was kind of cool to keep that as I transitioned into being an ISU/Big 12 fan.

It is nice to go back to Sioux City now and see about 3x as much ISU gear as when I grew up and about 50x less Husker gear than the 80s/90s.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
It doesn't bother me, but why get rid of an easy draw, this game is a good draw for whatever reason
Last year the game didn’t even break 400K. Year before it just broke 600k. Both times the games weren’t very interesting or had much to add to the conversation and worst of all they were on horrible networks

This years game was incredible, snow game, chaos, a ranked team losing, and on a real network. I would imagine if most of the games were like this one the Big12 would fight like mad to keep that protected. Considering KSU and ISU are easily two of the top 3/4 teams in the new Big12 I am surprised they don’t want that matchup to continue but that would have taken some foresight.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Last year the game didn’t even break 400K. Year before it just broke 600k. Both times the games weren’t very interesting or had much to add to the conversation and worst of all they were on horrible networks

This years game was incredible, snow game, chaos, a ranked team losing, and on a real network. I would imagine if most of the games were like this one the Big12 would fight like mad to keep that protected. Considering KSU and ISU are easily two of the top 3/4 teams in the new Big12 I am surprised they don’t want that matchup to continue but that would have taken some foresight.
Would love to hear an ISU perspective on why we don't have any protected rival.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
The only thing I heard (and it is probably conjecture) is that Jamie and the KSU AD didn’t work that hard for one. Don’t know why.
I see it possibly being viewed as an elimination game for the CCG. Why guarantee you face a contender every year when getting in let's you play for an autobid to the CFP?

• Informative
Reactions: Kinch

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Historically it has not been a good tv draw

I would imagine it outperforms the results on the field\network it ends up being on. Its just more often than not there's been at least one bad team involved and it gets relegated to some network where no one draws viewers.

Reactions: ClubCy

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Last year’s OuT game drew slightly more than the KSU-ISU game. Proves that fans love a competitive game between two teams with a winning record almost as than if those teams are blue blood.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I see it possibly being viewed as an elimination game for the CCG. Why guarantee you face a contender every year when getting in let's you play for an autobid to the CFP?
Are you guys going with the best two records playing in the ccg? Shouldn’t matter that much in that case.

From an outsider perspective it’s kinda like Florida State, their consistent rival is in another conference similar to ISU/Iowa

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron