Big 12/ Pac 12 Merger (keep all the teams)

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I believe that it offers value, and even if it isn’t equal it would take a P5 school off the table for a rival conference. Plus the addition strengthens the argument that the Big 12 is the best basketball conference in the nation. This diminishes the ACC as they are no longer considered the best. So the addition of Arizona is monetary as well as strategic.
Plus, having both teams from the same state solidifies Arizona as a Big Xii state instead of part Big Xii and part something else like the state of Iowa is. Basically, Arizona + Ariz. State are more valuble together than apart. People can discount the B-Ball all they want, but I'd love to have the Wildcats come to Hilton!

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Plus, having both teams from the same state solidifies Arizona as a Big Xii state instead of part Big Xii and part something else like the state of Iowa is. Basically, Arizona + Ariz. State are more valuble together than apart. People can discount the B-Ball all they want, but I'd love to have the Wildcats come to Hilton!
It just makes sense geographically, and brings a nice additional rivalry too

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Dodd's tweet makes no sense. NBC cannot negotiate with the Big XII as ESPN and FOX both have an exclusivity window for negotiations with the Big XII for another 16 months or so. There haven't been any talks between NBC and the Big XII. It would be illegal.
But talks with Notre Dame as a middle partner should be ok

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Some team like Oregon State or Cal is going to end up taking a huge hit from this. They are going to get left behind and end up as the big boy in the Mountain West. If I was Washington State or Oregon State I would be trying my hardest to cut a deal with the Big 12 before AZ State and Arizona do. I know they probably can't but they are going to get left behind.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Dodd's tweet makes no sense. NBC cannot negotiate with the Big XII as ESPN and FOX both have an exclusivity window for negotiations with the Big XII for another 16 months or so. There haven't been any talks between NBC and the Big XII. It would be illegal.
They can with Yormark who doesn’t start until Aug 1

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Some team like Oregon State or Cal is going to end up taking a huge hit from this. They are going to get left behind and end up as the big boy in the Mountain West. If I was Washington State or Oregon State I would be trying my hardest to cut a deal with the Big 12 before AZ State and Arizona do. I know they probably can't but they are going to get left behind.
The only hope for the also-rans of the PAC was a complete merger.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Not sure there is any penalty for talking about a period of time not under contract already. They just can't contract for that period yet without talking with ESPN and FOX first.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

Cal has been on rough ground for some time now. Looks like a bit of a bounce back after almost a decade of AD losses....kind of.

"Well, the university provided $25.1 million in direct institutional aid to the Bears athletic program, which, according to the Mercury News report, “represents a six-fold increase over the average from the previous five years.”

• Informative
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
This is delusional. We were literally in this same situation a year ago and now we're fine.

We had 4 more years on a TV deal and OUT under a GOR.

We also had the advantage of then being the first conference with the stability of not having any more obvious P2 departures.

On the other hand, the PAC is working on their next deal, less than 2 years away, and has conference members with applications to the BIG, and another that is the presumed favorite to be #18 in the BIG with ND.

Not very comparable.

• Winner
Reactions: Acylum

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
We had 4 more years on a TV deal and OUT under a GOR.

We also had the advantage of then being the first conference with the stability of not having any more obvious P2 departures.

On the other hand, the PAC is working on their next deal, less than 2 years away, and has conference members with applications to the BIG, and another that is the presumed favorite to be #18 in the BIG with ND.

Not very comparable.
Referring to the leftovers after OU / UT departure as "stability of not having more P2 departures" is a majestic spin, good work.

Additionally, let's not dismiss that there was ample discussion about Big 12 teams moving to the Big Ten.

It's plenty comparable.

• Disagree
Reactions: jctisu

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
There could be chatter. If NBC or CBS have a strategic plan for their football programming go forward, I am sure they are leaking that to the Big12. My guess is the Big12 hires media consultants that can work informally behind the scenes.

He could also be hypothesizing Big12 interest by NBC based on earlier reports that NBC pitched to the Big10 a desire to pair a Big10 game of the week with Notre Dame.

Regardless, I think he is spot on that there will be more parties that. ESPN & Fox as strong players in the next round of TV negotiations.

kcbob79clone

There could be chatter. If NBC or CBS have a strategic plan for their football programming go forward, I am sure they are leaking that to the Big12. My guess is the Big12 hires media consultants that can work informally behind the scenes.

He could also be hypothesizing Big12 interest by NBC based on earlier reports that NBC pitched to the Big10 a desire to pair a Big10 game of the week with Notre Dame.

Regardless, I think he is spot on that there will be more parties that. ESPN & Fox as strong players in the next round of TV negotiations.
Legalistic question here, since our new Commissioner is not official could he be considered a third party "media consultant" until August 1st?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
This is delusional. We were literally in this same situation a year ago and now we're fine.
As fans we can guess who has value based on viewership, attendance, quality of teams.

But streaming platforms might look at it differently than an ESPN & Fox whose media rights valuations are based on game viewership. But an Apple could value Cal, Stanford, etc on all customer revenue opportunities whether it's Apple+ subscribers, Apple music, marketing Apple computers, etc, etc.

Reactions: CascadeClone

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Didn’t the article say there have been no conversations between the Big12 and NBC? The writer just said he could see the Big12 as an option if NBC wanted more football to go with ND.

timinatoria

Aug 29, 2008
But talks with Notre Dame as a middle partner should be ok
They were already talking to Notre Dame. Reports are they have offered $45M for the new deal, triple the old one. Those were going on because they are still in talks with the Big Ten and wanted to have a Big Ten game after the ND game.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron