Big 12 Statement 9.1.2021

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
They need to change their mascot name too. Florida Tech Citronauts

Ano no divisions. 2-3 permanent rivals and top 2 make the CCG. Divisions are so stupid

We’d have to get the NCAA to change the rules. You can only do a CCG if you play a full round robin or you have two equal divisions with 12+ teams.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Just say no to divisions. The fan scenarios put out there are just as insufferable as conference realignment posts.

Divisions help protect local rivalries while also keep travel costs down, especially in a conference as widespread as this new league will be. It's not football travel universities are worried about, but rather travel for all the other non-revenue generating sports. This won't exactly be a conference flush with cash to light on fire.

• Informative
Reactions: Lafaester54

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Divisions help protect local rivalries while also keep travel costs down, especially in a conference as widespread as this new league will be. It's not football travel universities are worried about, but rather travel for all the other non-revenue generating sports. This won't exactly be a conference flush with cash to light on fire.

Football is one of the few sports that actually uses divisions.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Football is one of the few sports that actually uses divisions.

Do you not remember the old Big 12 with the North and South division? Basketball, we played everyone in division twice and everyone else once. It is varying but similar for other sports too.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Do you not remember the old Big 12 with the North and South division? Basketball, we played everyone in division twice and everyone else once. It is varying but similar for other sports too.

Yeah, and it was terrible.

Do you remember how that was used against the North in brand and recruiting?

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Yeah, and it was terrible.

Well, I highly doubt for basketball we play a full round Robin twice with 12 teams, so something has to give. There is a reason all the other big conferences have divisions and why there is a rule requiring divisions by the NCAA with conferences 12 teams or more. Also you tell WVU softball they have to pay for travel to BYU every year in a league that has to pinch pennies to keep non-revenue sports alive.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
We’d have to get the NCAA to change the rules. You can only do a CCG if you play a full round robin or you have two equal divisions with 12+ teams.

Or what? They will tell us to stop? **** the NCAA. We’ll do what we want

Reactions: amishclone

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Well, I highly doubt for basketball we play a full round Robin twice with 12 teams, so something has to give. There is a reason all the other big conferences have divisions and why there is a rule requiring divisions by the NCAA with conferences 12 teams or more. Also you tell WVU softball they have to pay for travel to BYU every year in a league that has to pinch pennies to keep non-revenue sports alive.

Where’s the rule?…the ACC paused divisions last year, and the PAC-12 has recently considered removing divisions as well. Not saying there isn’t one, but I couldn’t find it and it doesn’t seem like something that would preclude a conference from removing them if they chose/voted to do so.

Edit- I think you’re inferring divisons from the CCG requirements, which would technically not be feasible for 14 team leagues, since teams can only have 12 regular contests. If the Alliance scheduling agreement comes to fruition, we don’t have any games to waste, so we may as well maximize the competition we’re bringing in now within our own league.

Last edited:

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
You may be right, but I'd like the new Big 12 to think outside the box. I hate the idea of divisions after getting close to a decade in round robin play. I would like to see the Big 12 on the cutting edge of what I think is the future. 100% of games against Power 5. 11 game conference schedule + 1 non-conference SEC/B1G/ACC/PAC opponent or at least an FBS opponent. Maximizes TV revenue and makes the SEC look bad still fumbling around playing FCS teams in November.

I agree about the new Big12 having to be different than most other conferences. By setting a minimum number of P5 games, it would help elevate the New Big12's SOS, force the other conferences to play more P5 games and create a level playing field.
  • I am OK with playing a non P5 the first game of the season to get the rust knocked out against a UNI, MAC, UNLV type team.
  • I do like the idea of playing 11 P5 games- but would play 10 games against Big12 opponents plus 1 other P5. This would allow ISU to keep the Iowa game and if Okie State would like to schedule OU they could.
  • Playing 10 games against Big12 teams should help with TV Media Rights, develop rivalries and create conference unity. It's joke that some SEC, ACC & Big10 teams might play a conference opponent 1 or 2 times in a 5 year period.
  • Don't have conference divisions. 2 best teams play in CCG.
That said, I understand if the Big12 adds Cincy, UCF, Houston & BYU- they make sense from a media market and quality of athletic teams. These were probably the right teams from a $ standpoint and the teams that could get out of their conference GOR easiest.

However, as an Iowa State fan who lives in Iowa, the choices don't do a lot to excite me. Not really any easy, drivable road trips. Cincy is the closest at just under 600 miles/9 hours and the others are all a 15-20 hour drive away.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
Jerryworld, the Texans' stadium in Houston, and maybe Camping World Stadium in Orlando seem like the best options to me. Maybe add the Alamodome to that rotation. Although the other power leagues aren't really rotating - they're locked in to Atlanta, Charlotte, Indianapolis, and now Vegas. Why not just stay in Dallas?

There aren't really any good options in other states in the Big 12 footprint - it's not like we are going to play an outdoor CCG at the Bengals stadium in December now that we are adding Cincinnati.
The real question is can we maintain the sponsorship money.