Big 12 Statement 9.1.2021

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
so the articles I have seen show an estimated 20-25M per school if this was done. (not sure how close of a guess that would be)

What is disappointing is the Big12 was about to renew their contracts and I was hoping for 40-50M. really curious how we will be able to make this work financially.
If this is in fact where we end up long term.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I don't care what anybody says. While maybe not money wise, competitive-wise the new look Big 12 is likely on par with the Pac-12, The Big 10 West, and nearly the entire ACC minus Clemson.
Final rankings last year had USC at #21 and no other PAC team. ISU, Cinci, OSU and BYU all finished ranked.

Newell

Aug 6, 2013
I wonder what the addition of BYU, Cincinnati, UCF and Houston would to to tv revenue? Would there be a Big 12 network or would they continue the current structure.

I'm not a fan of conference networks because providers tend to bundle them with other "stuff" and charge a lot more than necessary.

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
I know football is the driver here, but I'm surprised at the lack of MBB talk with the new Big 12. Imagine all the fuel we would have had on the fire last year against the B1G being the "SuPeRiOr BaSkeTbAlL CoNfErEnCe"!

Reactions: NoCreativity

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Except UCF in hoops, but the four adds are going to get better as their revenues at least double. So much growth potential there.
UCF has potential. Isn't Johnny Dawkins still their coach? I remember them giving Duke all they could handle in the NCAA tourney a couple years ago.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
so the articles I have seen show an estimated 20-25M per school if this was done. (not sure how close of a guess that would be)

What is disappointing is the Big12 was about to renew their contracts and I was hoping for 40-50M. really curious how we will be able to make this work financially.
If this is in fact where we end up long term.

It was a bad sign when the TV partners failed to start early negotiations.

ESPN wasn't going to increase the deal this time around.

That stated the dominos falling. The whorns and OU couldn't sit back and fall that far behind.

The conference was dead as we know it in May.

"The offer was going to be virtually the same as the 13-year deal the Big 12 signed with ESPN back in 2011"

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Final rankings last year had USC at #21 and no other PAC team. ISU, Cinci, OSU and BYU all finished ranked.

Not only would the teams be better in the Big 12, but the Big 12 is centrally located as well, which would get a LOT more viewers than the PAC being way out west and games being played at 9 pm at night.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
It was a bad sign when the TV partners failed to start early negotiations.

ESPN wasn't going to increase the deal this time around.

That stated the dominos falling. The whorns and OU couldn't sit back and fall that far behind.

The conference was dead as we know it in May.

"The offer was going to be virtually the same as the 13-year deal the Big 12 signed with ESPN back in 2011"

OU and Tx were in discussions well before that news though…our TV contract wasn’t going up because the fault lines were visible. That was the final negotiating blow by ESPN, if anything. I still think our contract would have gone up had teams been willing to stay and commit to the conference.

• Agree
Reactions: isu83

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006

empty/full seats don't equate to better or worse football. When your stadium (Rose Bowl) is 30 miles from campus, IN LA TRAFFIC, butts in seats isn't something that can be worried about this day in age.

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
Now that this is locked in, I expect:

East Division:
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
West Virginia
Cincinnati
UCF

West Division:
Baylor
TCU
Texas Tech
Houston
Oklahoma State
BYU

That maximizes teams playing who they most wanna play. Ideally we’d get to stay with OSU but I think they would rather be with all the Texans.

You don’t have to do any protected crossovers this way. Play your division plus 4/6 in the opposite one. Division opponents come to Ames every 2 years; opposite division ones come to Ames every 3 years.

One division gets to recruit a lot in Texas; the other gets Ohio and Florida.
interesting setup but I don't expect divisions to be a requirement much longer and think each team will lock in 3 rivals and rotate through the rest of the league with one set of league standings.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
interesting setup but I don't expect divisions to be a requirement much longer and think each team will lock in 3 rivals and rotate through the rest of the league with one set of league standings.

Interesting if the SEC gets divisions scrapped. Guess we’ll see.