BLOG: A few notes on the 2017-18 basketball schedule

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
I like the idea of playing more regional teams in the Midwest. If we sign a home & home series with teams it makes for easier travel to away games. I'm looking forward to a trip down to Missouri next season anyways.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I am guessing the non con is not going to be a tough schedule. Hopefully they don't have to schedule the worst of the worst. Bad enough to beat and good enough not to really hurt the RPI

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
can only play in one exempt tournament a year

Correct but if you play in a showcase game at a neutral site, those are unlimited I believe.

So for example, last year Duke played in the Hall of Fame Tip-Off, the T-Mobile showcase, the Jimmy V classic and the Champions Classic. The HOF tip off was the only "tournament"

IP Guy

Jun 16, 2007
How do we get Indiana on the schedule? Given styles of play, that would be fun to watch!!

As a season ticket holder at one and an alum at the other, I'd be glad to broker the deal.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I agree with the few above -- playing TJ would be fun. Those "former colleagues/current friends" games between coaches are always interesting, even if I would imagine it would be a tricky game with the knowledge that TJ has of our program and a few of our players.

I would rather leave Creighton alone, though. I am content with JVB having the final word there.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I agree with the few above -- playing TJ would be fun. Those "former colleagues/current friends" games between coaches are always interesting, even if I would imagine it would be a tricky game with the knowledge that TJ has of our program and a few of our players.

I would rather leave Creighton alone, though. I am content with JVB having the final word there.

Question for curiosity: How many current players would TJ know much about?

The JVB thing is a good point. The game would be fun, but that was a perfect ending.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Question for curiosity: How many current players would TJ know much about?

The JVB thing is a good point. The game would be fun, but that was a perfect ending.

Not trying to be vindictive towards McD... but... I was an undergraduate when he was the coach, so he did make me watch a lot of boring and losing basketball.

Slamming the door on the era like that was about as good as it got.

Until McD decides to hang 'em up or move on, I would rather we do not make an unnecessary sequel to a movie that had an absolutely perfect ending to it.

TJ was involved in the recruitment of Long, Young, Weiler-Babb, and Jackson pretty directly. I think he played a pretty important part with Lewis, as well.

That could easily be 3/5 starters and 5/8 rotation guys next year.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
What do we know for sure?

Iowa
UNI
Mizzou

??
at Missouri
Puerto Rico Tip-Off ("Tire Pros Invitational"): (No bracket set at this point): Boise State, Florida State, Illinois State, South Carolina, Tulsa, UTEP, Western Michigan
Iowa
vs. UNI (Big 4)
Big 12/SEC Challenge

If CW's info is accurate, we'll see one of the four Dakota schools for sure. Doubt we get any Midwest P5's. Maybe MAC, WAC, paddy-whack or additional Valley opponent

• Funny
Reactions: ZB4CY

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I'd be fine with one of those.

My order of preference from that list:
1. Minnesota (I'm still among those who think this should be semi-annual series)
2. Illinois
3. Marquette
4. (tie) Creighton, Nebraskie
6. Northwestern

I wonder if playing some of these teams neutral site would help the negotiations of scheduling games. Playing Minnesota in the Target Center or Illinois in the United Center would be a good compromise without scheduling a home and home series. Maybe the hold up with that comes from the lost revenue of a home game.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I wonder if playing some of these teams neutral site would help the negotiations of scheduling games. Playing Minnesota in the Target Center or Illinois in the United Center would be a good compromise without scheduling a home and home series. Maybe the hold up with that comes from the lost revenue of a home game.

Your theory has merit, I think. ISU had the Colorado game at neutral site a couple seasons ago. (In Sioux Falls, was it?) Maybe that's a way to snag another P5 each season, and it'd be different schools involved, in many cases it wouldn't hurt the resume and might help. As far as home-game revenue, as you said, I imagine that's a factor (but the scenario of the neutral game is only one game, anyway).