BLOG: A few notes on the 2017-18 basketball schedule

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Your theory has merit, I think. ISU had the Colorado game at neutral site a couple seasons ago. (In Sioux Falls, was it?) Maybe that's a way to snag another P5 each season, and it'd be different schools involved, in many cases it wouldn't hurt the resume and might help. As far as home-game revenue, as you said, I imagine that's a factor (but the scenario of the neutral game is only one game, anyway).

Right. I think a challenge is we want to schedule these home/home with Midwest teams because we're recruiting those areas (MPLS, Chicago, etc) so it benefits ISU but, for the most part, there's no benefit to the team coming to Ames from a recruiting standpoint or local alumni base like there is with ISU alums in those major metropolitan areas. Scheduling games at true neutral sites like the Colorado game you mentioned (Sioux Falls) or the South Carolina game in Brooklyn a few years ago seems to be the most viable option for Iowa State. Just spitballing but a few other options I think would be good neutral sites
- Wichita State in Kansas City
- Wisconsin in Milwaukee
- Anyone in United Center (ISU played Duke there in like 2007)
- Murray State in Nashville

Last edited:
Reactions: cyclones500

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Realizing that my season tickets are probably still underpriced... I don't want any more neutral site games. Not only do the tickets cost double what they used to, but there are only 16 home games instead of 20. I'm ready for the AD to start calling schools out publicly for being scared to play in Hilton. Freaking ridiculous that we are surrounded by P5 schools and can't get a home-and-home.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Realizing that my season tickets are probably still underpriced... I don't want any more neutral site games. Not only do the tickets cost double what they used to, but there are only 16 home games instead of 20. I'm ready for the AD to start calling schools out publicly for being scared to play in Hilton. Freaking ridiculous that we are surrounded by P5 schools and can't get a home-and-home.

It would have benefited ISU more than most of those P5 schools though. MN giving us a home-home with Fred as coach would be a terrible idea. Nebraska sucks. We have played Michigan and now Mizzou. I don't think it makes much difference for NW or Purdue, but NW had been the worst P5 team in history until this year. Illinois doesn't get much out of it. There's really not much incentive for a team to get beat in Hilton. Fran has the state borders on lockdown for any recruit Drake worthy or better, no one is trying to get 3* players from Iowa.

• Dislike
Reactions: CyberJJJ

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
It would have benefited ISU more than most of those P5 schools though. MN giving us a home-home with Fred as coach would be a terrible idea. Nebraska sucks. We have played Michigan and now Mizzou. I don't think it makes much difference for NW or Purdue, but NW had been the worst P5 team in history until this year. Illinois doesn't get much out of it. There's really not much incentive for a team to get beat in Hilton. Fran has the state borders on lockdown for any recruit Drake worthy or better, no one is trying to get 3* players from Iowa.

Oh I know. Maybe we can pitch the benefit of a non-con sellout when the Cardinal and Gold take over a road game?

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
its very easy to come up with schedules/teams that benefit US. very hard to come up with teams that benefit THEM by playing us, that's the problem.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
Wisconsin is the home and home on the top of my list. Seems like it could be beneficial for both sides too.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
its very easy to come up with schedules/teams that benefit US. very hard to come up with teams that benefit THEM by playing us, that's the problem.

Exactly. Some fans seem to think that we can schedule whoever we want whenever we want. It just isn't possible. Hell, remember the home and home with Michigan? Beilin said publicly that it was a mistake to schedule that game. Minnesota is not going to schedule us for a home and home.

I get the appeal of a neutral site game, but frankly, as a season ticket holder I'd like to avoid. Most years we get a few good teams in whatever tournament we are in. Plus you have the Drake/UNI game. I think of all of the money I spent on Iowa State basketball last year---the Iowa game, the Drake game, the Big 12 championship game, the NCAA tournament, season tickets, donation---and I would HATE losing one of my home games even if it against Bethune Cookman.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
It'd be cool to play Michigan St, Wisky or Indiana at the United Center. I also liked the Cincy series, it was a p5 quality opponent that also struggles getting good teams to come to their place, if they'll even play them. Teams like Butler and Xavier come to mind, even Wichita St, Gonzaga, BYU, St Marys or San Diego St. They'd be risky games but probably don't kill you if you get beat.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I think our old Big 12 foes are really the only teams that would benefit about as much as us. Colorado, Nebby, Mizzou (but not if they return to power).

WI, MN, IL and the two MI schools don't make sense for how many players we've recruited out of those states and they don't get anything from coming to Ames. We already **** Iowa.

Rutgers, tOSU, PSU, and Maryland aren't close. Indiana will always think they are above us.

That leaves NW, Purdue and Nebby as the three that might be mutually beneficial. Nebby and NW are two of the worst programs in P5 history (if not the worst two).

Side note: had to look up the Big 10 to see what teams they have now, so many in there now I can't think of them all.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
It'd be cool to play Michigan St, Wisky or Indiana at the United Center. I also liked the Cincy series, it was a p5 quality opponent that also struggles getting good teams to come to their place, if they'll even play them. Teams like Butler and Xavier come to mind, even Wichita St, Gonzaga, BYU, St Marys or San Diego St. They'd be risky games but probably don't kill you if you get beat.
I would love a big matchup at the UC for my own selfish reasons. I remember when we played Duke there about 7-8 years ago.

Reactions: heitclone

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Wisconsin Green Bay has been a 160 or better RPI team for the last 6 years. A should be win that gives you a chance at a possible Top 150 Non con win.

That's what I'd like to see more of- 150-200 RPI teams that present some kind of challenge, and don't hurt your schedule strength too much. Those 250 or 300+ teams do not look good, and aren't really that fun to watch either.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
That's what I'd like to see more of- 150-200 RPI teams that present some kind of challenge, and don't hurt your schedule strength too much. Those 250 or 300+ teams do not look good, and aren't really that fun to watch either.

Agreed. Its impossible to completely remove every 250 or worse RPI teams from the schedule.

Drake did us no favors on the schedule and that game isn't going anywhere, but you can always remove a Savannah State or Mississippi Valley State in favor of a Green Bay, SDSU etc at home.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006

i bet the teams that are in that range charge 2-3x what the 250+ teams charge. i'd love to know that for a fact. its just not that easy to schedule those kind of teams either.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Agreed. Its impossible to completely remove every 250 or worse RPI teams from the schedule.

Drake did us no favors on the schedule and that game isn't going anywhere, but you can always remove a Savannah State or Mississippi Valley State in favor of a Green Bay, SDSU etc at home.

It should go somewhere, play in Hilton every year or see ya.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
i bet the teams that are in that range charge 2-3x what the 250+ teams charge. i'd love to know that for a fact. its just not that easy to schedule those kind of teams either.

Yeah, with everybody knowing how to game the RPI it's probably harder to schedule them. Also, you're talking about teams that can actually beat you now, and they could seriously hurt your resume.